Travis Rios' Funeral
William Barger
2007-04-19 04:14:27 UTC
25 year old Travis Rios was a minor league pitching prospect with the
Boston Red Sox organization. He was killed Tuesday in a two car crash in
Lake County Florida. A passenger in the other vehicle also lost his
life.

Travis starred at Eustis, Florida High School where I was an agriculture
teacher and assistant basketball coach. I also helped the baseball team,
mostly as a catcher's coach. Travis led Eustis to the 2000 District 3
state championship at Tampa's Legion Field over powerful Bishop Verot; a
talent laden big city private school. It was considered an huge upset to
everyone except Eustis fans.

Travis went on to star at Lynn University here in central Florida before
signing with the Red Sox organization.

Since I was a high school and college catcher I had the opportunity to
have many conversations with Travis. He not only was a star on the
field, but was also a extremely bright young man that particularly
enjoyed the outdoors and life in general.

I was forced to retire in 2002 due to devastating injuries suffered
breaking up a fight in the classroom. Travis' funeral at 2pm on Saturday
marks the fifth funeral of former students or players I have attended.
For such a small community that is certainly a large number. Three of
the five deaths were due to automobile wrecks. One suffered a fatal
heart attack and the other perished in Iraq.

For me the premature deaths of young people is absolutely devastating.
As a father of four, one (my 14 y/o son) of which I have raised by
myself since he was 2, it would be unimaginable to lose one of them
after giving them so much care and love. I have tried to instill a
survival state of mind in them, but kids believe they are immortal.

My deepest sympathy goes out to Travis' parents, siblings, and
grandparents. I feel terrible and quite sad for the sense of loss that
all the people whose lives Travis touched must be feeling right now.

My wish is that God had a plan for Travis and that he rests in the peace
that his aura extruded. I hope the grass in Heaven is the brightest
shade of green, that the chalk lines are perfectly straight, and the
stands are always full. God now has a great starter to add to his
rotation.

Bill
s***@yahoo.com
2007-04-26 21:53:34 UTC
Bill Schenley
2007-04-27 21:02:56 UTC
William Barger
2007-04-27 21:43:39 UTC
Mr. Griesse,

I was unaware that Travis was operating his vehicle while intoxicated
until the day of the funeral. Certainly didn't change my feelings for
him. Many thoughts and feeling went thru me when I learned exactly what
is was Travis actually had done. Some things are done that are so far
out of character that a person can scariously believe it to be true.
Travis, like any young person, liked to have a good time, but he always
seemed to make good decisions. I have watched him think things thru at
times when a lot of kids would have just instinctively acted. I find it
so hard to believe he decided to drive while impaired. I certainly don't
condone what he did, but I do find it difficult to be mad at someone
that touched my life in such a positive manner.

Teachers are told upfront and with emphasis to stick with the syllabus.
I was only to teach about agriculture. I cared what happened to my
students. Yes I wanted them to learn all about plants and animals. I
realized all that was being taught to them was absolutely useless if
they did not make it to adulthood. I would say things like " you will
amazed at how fast time goes by", or " Always drive defensively and
sober". Not sure how much stuck. I did have two ex-students come up to
me at the service at the ballpark to thank me for the life lessons I
imparted. I was a pallbearer several times before I finished high
school. Having that happen makes your survival mode ratchet up a notch.
I drove with more care and attention.

I am so sorry that your son was so badly injured in an accident he could
have done nothing to avoid. Of course I certainly hope and pray for
Paul's complete recovery. I realize the psychological scars may never
heal, but I hope he can still get the most out of life.

As a father you must be devastated. You sound like such a loving, strong
father Mr Griesse. Paul will have a better chance at a rich and
rewarding life than a lot of kids because of the solid foundation you
have laid for him. You do not sound bitter which makes you a better man
than I could be; especially at a time like this.

I respectfully ask that you hold no resentment for Travis. I realize
that is asking much in light of what you and your son, and all the
others involved, have gone thru and will continually have to deal with
forever. I know Travis would never have wilfully, knowingly hurt another
human being. I am a little mad at him for making such a stupid,
devastating decision.

Please give Paul my best.

With great respect,
Bill
s***@yahoo.com
2007-04-30 22:30:41 UTC
Post by William Barger
[...]
I thank you for answering me. At the time I was very angry and was
miss directing my anger. My son is now home, he seems to be doing
better, but it will take some time to heal his wounds mental and
physical. Paul finds himself to be very angry, but doesn't know who to
be angry at. Paul wants to meet Erins parents give them a big hug,
and tell them what a great daughter they had. That she is always in
his thoughts and has a special place in his heart forever. What I
will do to remember Travis is to do everything in my power to stop
other young people from drinking and driving. Our youth are very
special I don't want to lose anymore.
Thank You Robert Griesse
b***@gmail.com
2020-01-10 14:25:19 UTC
I was Travis Rios roommate at palm beach CC. Shaun Hansen. He drove drunk all the time and I am lucky I am alive. He was a very great and loyal friend and I miss him everyday though. RIP to everybody involved that lost their life in this. Please teach your kids about the dangers of drinking not just drinking and driving.
Kenny McCormack
2020-01-10 14:29:50 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I was Travis Rios roommate at palm beach CC. Shaun Hansen. He drove drunk
all the time and I am lucky I am alive. He was a very great and loyal
friend and I miss him everyday though. RIP to everybody involved that lost
their life in this. Please teach your kids about the dangers of drinking
not just drinking and driving.
Let's be fair here. It's not drinking that's dangerous. It's driving.

Driving is dangerous either with or without drinking.
--
So to cure the problem of arrogant incompetent rich people we should turn
the government over to an arrogant incompetent trust fund billionaire
entire spoiled life?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-01-10 17:44:27 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by b***@gmail.com
I was Travis Rios roommate at palm beach CC. Shaun Hansen. He drove drunk
all the time and I am lucky I am alive. He was a very great and loyal
friend and I miss him everyday though. RIP to everybody involved that lost
their life in this. Please teach your kids about the dangers of drinking
not just drinking and driving.
Let's be fair here. It's not drinking that's dangerous. It's driving.
In this case, it's willingly being a passenger in the vehicle of an
impaired driver instead of insisting on being the driver one's self.
Post by Kenny McCormack
Driving is dangerous either with or without drinking.
I always thought it was frightening that, what, 3 out of 5 collisions
are caused by driving whilst sober but not looking out the front
windshield.