Semi-OT: Marianne Williamson's presidential aspirations
That Derek
2020-01-11 16:11:31 UTC
https://nypost.com/2020/01/10/marianne-williamson-quits-long-shot-presidential-bid/

News

Marianne Williamson quits long-shot presidential bid

By Bob Fredericks

January 10, 2020 | 4:58pm

Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson, a self-help guru and Oprah Winfrey pal who talked about a “dark psychic force” in America, suspended her outsider campaign for the 2020 nomination on Friday.

Williamson won admirers if not voters with a spirituality-focused campaign that promoted a politics of love and of conscience.

She advocated a Department of Peace and embraced an economic justice agenda to repair damage she claimed was done by so-called trickle-down economics.

Williamson said in a statement that she was suspending her campaign, because she would not be able to get enough votes to “elevate our conversation any more than it is now.”

The best-selling author and motivational speaker had called for $100 billion in reparations for slavery to be paid over 10 years, gun control, education reform, and equal rights for lesbian and gay communities.

Her sign off on Friday mirrored her campaign message: “A politics of conscience is still yet possible. And yes … love will prevail.”

Williamson made a name for herself on Oprah Winfrey’s show and became a “spiritual guide” for Hollywood. She was also noted for performing the ceremony for Elizabeth Taylor’s 1991 wedding.

She was a long shot to win the nomination, but the faithful following for her spiritual guidance books helped her qualify for early debates in the crowded Democratic contest.

The Texas native produced a viral moment during a July debate when she warned of a “dark psychic force” she believed was caused by President Trump after Democrats debated their various policy positions.

“If you think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark psychic force of the collectivized hatred that this president is bringing up in this country, then I’m afraid that the Democrats are going to see some very dark days,” she said.

With Reuters
m***@gmail.com
2020-01-11 21:26:35 UTC
I don't think anyone thought she had a chance to win the Democratic nomination. However, I thought she added another person of diversity to the Democratic field which already included women, African-Americans and a gay man. She represented a large segment of Americans who are quite spiritual, yet not adherents of organized religion. I have never been a big fan of Williamson, but I liked the fact that she was a candidate.
Terry del Fuego
2020-01-12 18:10:08 UTC
On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 08:11:31 -0800 (PST), That Derek
Post by That Derek
spiritual guidance books
Not my joke, but I like it: Sometimes a campaign just fails to
crystalize.