Carrie Snodgress??
phillip lawrence
2004-04-08 13:23:09 UTC
Does anyone have any info on the death of actress Carrie Snodgress?
Kathi
2004-04-08 13:36:17 UTC
Post by phillip lawrence
Does anyone have any info on the death of actress Carrie Snodgress?
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20040407/va_mi/carrie_snodgress_04_072004_1

Carrie Snodgress 04/07/2004
Tue Apr 6, 8:00 PM ET

Variety Staff, STAFF

Actress Carrie Snodgress, who was nominated for an Oscar for 1971's
"Diary of a Mad Housewife," died April 1 in Los Angeles. She was 57.

Born in Park Ridge, Ill., she attended Northern Illinois University
and received a master's degree from Chicago's Goodman Theater School.
Her four-decade television and film acting career began with several
guest spots on TV shows including "The Virginian" and "Marcus Welby,
M.D."

She made her feature debut with "Rabbit Run," based on the John Updike
novel, after an uncredited appearance in "Easy Rider." After her
notable performance as the explosive unfaithful wife of Frank Perry's
"Diary of Mad Housewife," she took an eight-year break to have a son
with musician Neil Young (news). She returned to film with Brian
DePalma's "The Fury" and appeared in dozens of other films, including
"The Attic," "A Night in Heaven," "Blueberry Hill," "Blue Sky" and "Ed
Gein."

Her most recent appearance was in HBO's "Iron Jawed Angels." She also
appeared frequently in series and telepics including "Murder She
Wrote," "X Files," "ER," "Judging Amy," "Touched by an Angel" and "The
West Wing."

She is survived by her son, Zeke.
Sanford Manley
2004-04-08 13:55:05 UTC
Post by Kathi
Actress Carrie Snodgress, who was nominated for an Oscar for 1971's
"Diary of a Mad Housewife," died April 1 in Los Angeles. She was 57.
This is the first woman I ever saw naked on the screen.
--
Sanford M. Manley
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ansaman/
Rob Petrie
2004-04-08 15:20:22 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Sanford Manley
Post by Kathi
Actress Carrie Snodgress, who was nominated for an Oscar for 1971's
"Diary of a Mad Housewife," died April 1 in Los Angeles. She was 57.
This is the first woman I ever saw naked on the screen.
How old was she (and you) at the time?
Was she worth the price of admission to see her nude? <g>

"Naked is dirty. Nude is art."
--guest character actor on a "Three's Company" episode
Sanford Manley
2004-04-08 15:24:13 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
Post by Sanford Manley
Post by Kathi
Actress Carrie Snodgress, who was nominated for an Oscar for 1971's
"Diary of a Mad Housewife," died April 1 in Los Angeles. She was 57.
This is the first woman I ever saw naked on the screen.
How old was she (and you) at the time?
Was she worth the price of admission to see her nude? <g>
I was twelve. She was 24 or 25? I was certainly impressed.
--
Sanford M. Manley
"The first thing I do after opening a bar of Ivory soap is to
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ansaman/
Mike Richmann
2004-04-08 16:45:35 UTC
Post by Kathi
Post by phillip lawrence
[...]
Some trivia...

If you're a Clint Eastwood fan, she was in "Pale Rider" (1985). And the
X-files appearance mentioned in the closing paragraph is from season 1,
"Conduit" as Darlene Morris, the missing Ruby Morris's mother.
---
Mike
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-04-09 00:57:06 UTC
Post by Mike Richmann
Some trivia...
If you're a Clint Eastwood fan, she was in "Pale Rider"
(1985).

Damn, I thought that was her, but I hadn't looked it up online
yet just to be sure.

Thanks, dick-head.
--
© The Wiz ®
J.D. Baldwin
2004-04-08 16:56:52 UTC
Post by Kathi
She made her feature debut with "Rabbit Run," based on the John
Updike novel, after an uncredited appearance in "Easy Rider." After
her notable performance as the explosive unfaithful wife of Frank
Perry's "Diary of Mad Housewife," she took an eight-year break to
have a son with musician Neil Young (news). She returned to film
with Brian DePalma's "The Fury" and appeared in dozens of other
films, including "The Attic," "A Night in Heaven," "Blueberry Hill,"
"Blue Sky" and "Ed Gein."
I remember her quite clearly from "Ed Gein" and "Pale Rider." The
latter might have been her biggest and best-known film role; it's a
wonder the obit doesn't mention it.

"Blue Sky" is one of those "critically acclaimed" movies that just
completely mystifies me -- I don't understand what the hell anyone
sees in it. It might well be the worst-written "successful" dramatic
picture I have seen. I don't remember Snodgress's role in it, but I
wanted to mention it specifically because a) I hate it a lot and b)
it's of interest to a.o because it was released almost three years
after its director died of AIDS.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
James Neibaur
2004-04-08 17:14:10 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
I remember her quite clearly from "Ed Gein" and "Pale Rider." The
latter might have been her biggest and best-known film role; it's a
wonder the obit doesn't mention it.
I would think Diary of a Mad Housewife would be her most noted role.

RIP

JN
J.D. Baldwin
2004-04-08 17:14:38 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by J.D. Baldwin
I remember her quite clearly from "Ed Gein" and "Pale Rider." The
latter might have been her biggest and best-known film role; it's a
wonder the obit doesn't mention it.
I would think Diary of a Mad Housewife would be her most noted role.
Good point; I should have added "to a certain generation of filmgoers"
to that statement. I don't think "Diary" has endured very well --
it's been fifteen years or more since I saw it. I don't really
remember it well enough to judge whether this is unfortunate or not.
Lenona321
2004-04-09 17:09:30 UTC
I saw DOAMH a few years ago. As Leonard Maltin said, "Richard Benjamin's
character would drive anyone mad." What especially impressed me was that
gorgeous NYC apartment they had, despite the dated furniture. Nowadays, such
apartment-dwellers - in the movies, at least - would also have a nanny and/or
maid service. Personally, I'd skip having kids, for starters, and minimize the
housework by having as few possessions that need dusting or maintenance as
possible. Oh, and of course I wouldn't marry that kind of husband either....
:)

Lenona.
Terrymelin
2004-04-08 17:19:14 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
"Blue Sky" is one of those "critically acclaimed" movies that just
completely mystifies me -- I don't understand what the hell anyone
sees in it. It might well be the worst-written "successful" dramatic
picture I have seen. I don't remember Snodgress's role in it, but I
wanted to mention it specifically because a) I hate it a lot and b)
it's of interest to a.o because it was released almost three years
after its director died of AIDS.
I don't think it was "critically acclaimed" at all. What was acclaimed was
Jessica Lange's performance -- which won her the Best Actress Oscar -- and
rightly so. It is amazing.

The film received no other Oscar noms and it fairly uneven. But there is no
denying the performance of Lange.

Terry Ellsworth
Brian Peterlinz
Zeke's dad, incidentally, is musician Neil Young.
Maggie
2004-04-08 22:45:26 UTC
Post by Brian Peterlinz
Post by Kathi
Her most recent appearance was in HBO's "Iron Jawed Angels." She also
appeared frequently in series and telepics including "Murder She
Wrote," "X Files," "ER," "Judging Amy," "Touched by an Angel" and "The
West Wing."
She is survived by her son, Zeke.
Zeke's dad, incidentally, is musician Neil Young.
***Interesting. Anyone know what happened to her? IMDb says her latest movie
was released in February of this year.

Maggie

"Don't look at me--I just know stuff." -- Detective Odafin Tutuola, Law &
Order: Special Victims Unit
mbp
Maggie
2004-04-08 23:07:27 UTC
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
***Nah, too easy.

Maggie
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-04-09 01:02:38 UTC
Post by Maggie
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
***Nah, too easy.
Maggie
I thought that also, Maggie. It may very be properly structured,
but it certainly doesn't appear as such at first reading. Either
way, the point being made was lost in the controversy. ;-)~
--
© The Wiz ®
R H Draney
2004-04-09 01:09:11 UTC
Because this is the Internet...you need another reason?...r
Maggie
2004-04-09 03:08:43 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
Because this is the Internet...you need another reason?...r
***Actually, mpb is the only one spelling her name incorrectly.

Order: Special Victims Unit
DESSCRIBE1
2004-04-09 05:08:47 UTC
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
More to the point, why is everybody spelling her name correctly? The
"Snodgrass" error is such a natural mistake that I'm really surprised it took
this long for it to pop up in the thread.

Erich

"I will play the lute with my foot, as I juggle these knives and hit a slap
shot 60 feet, while handcuffed to a live alligator...AND...I will act...like a
BABY!" - Fritz the Evil Butler
teleflora
2004-04-09 19:43:20 UTC
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
Well, "wrongly" or rightly, we all knew who he meant.

Cindy
mbp
2004-04-09 22:51:15 UTC
Post by teleflora
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
Well, "wrongly" or rightly, we all knew who he meant.
Cindy
Well Candy,
Whether we all knew or not, it's just common courtesy to spell someone's
name correctLY even if the person is dead. No doubt when Carrie's
contemporaries Stockyard Channing and Swoosie Kurse pass, we'll "all know
who he meant".
BTW, clearLY English is not your first language, so I'll forgive your
inability to recognise an adverb and its correct usage.
Maggie
2004-04-09 23:06:56 UTC
Post by mbp
Post by teleflora
Post by mbp
Why is everyone spelling her name wrongly?
Well, "wrongly" or rightly, we all knew who he meant.
Cindy
Well Candy,
Whether we all knew or not, it's just common courtesy to spell someone's
name correctLY even if the person is dead. No doubt when Carrie's
contemporaries Stockyard Channing and Swoosie Kurse pass, we'll "all know
who he meant".
BTW, clearLY English is not your first language, so I'll forgive your
inability to recognise an adverb and its correct usage.
***I assume you are putting us on since you don't seem to be a total idiot.
But for the record, the woman in question is named Snodgress and "wrong" *is*
an adverb. Your question would have been worded "why is everyone spelling her
name wrong?" in standard English usage, although "wrongly" is not
incorrect--just unusual.

Order: Special Victims Unit
Steve Miller - A Famous Rock Star!
2004-04-10 04:50:27 UTC
Post by Maggie
"wrong" *is*
an adverb.
This appears to be wrongly.
--
Steve Miller
Editor and Chief Copyboy
If in NYC, buy the Sun and read the obits!
teleflora

Can- Cindy
Lenona321
2004-04-09 17:12:27 UTC
Funny they don't mention the cause of death. Though given the lack of scandal
in her life, and her relatively young age, I'd assume it was cancer.

Lenona.
Steve Miller - A Famous Rock Star!
Alex

Mike Richmann
2004-04-09 21:02:17 UTC
Possibly. Then again, hepatitis is also responsible for a significant
fraction of liver failure cases.

And you can get it in quite a few different ways. Anyone up for Chi
Chis?
Kathi
2004-04-10 03:13:01 UTC
Post by Lenona321
Funny they don't mention the cause of death. Though given the lack of scandal
in her life, and her relatively young age, I'd assume it was cancer.
AP finally moved the obit this afternoon. Heart failure. Which of course just begs the
question, but there you have it.
While waiting for a liver transplant, according to CBS News earlier
this afternoon.
EvelynMcH
2004-04-09 20:19:57 UTC
Post by Lenona321
Funny they don't mention the cause of death. Though given the lack of scandal
in her life, and her relatively young age, I'd assume it was cancer.
I heard on WINS-AM this afternoon that she died of a combination of heart and
liver failure while awaiting a liver transplant.

-=>epm<=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein