Jack Adkisson, patriarch of the famed Texas wrestling family the Von Erichs
d***@comcast.net
2005-09-22 16:40:28 UTC
Fritz Von Erich dead at 68

DALLAS (AP) -- Jack Adkisson, patriarch of the famed Texas wrestling
family the Von Erichs, died at his Denton County home Wednesday, about
two months after he was diagnosed with cancer. He was 68.

Adkisson, who went by the name Fritz Von Erich during a 35-year
wrestling career, was diagnosed in July with lung cancer that had
spread to his brain and adrenal glands.

A statement from the family said he died of a brain tumor at his home
in Lake Dallas, about 20 miles north of Dallas.

Five of Adkisson's sons -- Kevin, David, Kerry, Mike and Chris -- also
wrestled under the Von Erich name.

Jack Adkisson for years produced a syndicated wrestling show, World
Class Championship Wrestling, that was seen in 66 U.S. television
markets, Japan, Argentina and the Middle East.

But in recent years, there has mostly been pain. Five of Jack
Adkisson's sons preceded him in death. One died as a child in the
1950s, three committed suicide since 1987 and the fifth died apparently
of a drug overdose in 1984.

The only surviving son is the oldest, Kevin, 40. "We would like to
express thanks to the fans and the community for their prayers, love
and support," Kevin Adkisson said. "Dad loved them very much."

David, probably the best wrestler of the sons, died at the age of 25 in
1984 from an apparent overdose while on a wrestling tour of Japan.
Suicide claimed the lives of Mike, 23, in 1987; Chris, 21, in 1991; and
Kerry, 33, in 1993. Another son, Jack Jr., died at the age of 7 in 1959
from electrical shock.

"It hurt him desparately," said Tom Pulley, a longtime friend of the
Von Erichs. "It's hard for any of us to imagine losing one son, much
less five sons. It changed his life and it definitely took the wind out
of his sails."

Until Fritz Von Erich retired in 1980, he was one of the stars of
professional wrestling. The former Southern Methodist and Dallas Texans
lineman stood 6-foot-4 and weighed 260 pounds. He turned to wrestling
in the 1950s after being injured.

The Von Erichs once wrestled in front of 40,000 people at Texas Stadium
and regularly filled the arenas where they competed.

In their heyday, the Von Erichs were the good guys of the wrestling
world, vanquishing trash-talking, loudmouthed wrestlers in black garb.
The continuing family tragedies brought them -- and their sport -- even
more fame.

Pulley said Fritz Von Erich had a vision for what wrestling could be on
television.

"What he did back in the '80s really started wrestling on television,"
Pulley said. "There's no question that the brains behind what you see
today was Fritz Von Erich. It took wrestling from being a small
regional sport to being international in scope, and I give him the
credit for that."

Jack Adkisson is survived by his son Kevin, daughter-in-law Pam, their
four children and two other grandchildren. He and his wife, Doris,
divorced several years ago. He is not related to long-time tag partner
Waldo von Erich.

Family members said they would receive friends of Jack Adkisson at a
memorial service on Saturday at First Baptist Church in Dallas. No
funeral or graveside services were planned.
Jim Beaver
2005-09-22 16:56:49 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
[...]
As a kid growing up in the Dallas area, I was extremely familiar with the
von Erichs -- Saturday night meant wrestling and country music from Porter
Wagoner on tv at an awful lot of my friends' houses, and I couldn't help
knowing and seeing the von Erichs, mainly Fritz. I had no idea though of
the tragedies of the family. Man, that's Jobean.

Jim Beaver
cissybabe
Jim Beaver
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies
2005-09-22 20:07:38 UTC
What are you? The AO cop? Scram.
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies
2005-09-22 20:14:51 UTC
Post by de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies
Post by cissybabe
Jack Adkisson, aka Fritz Von Erich, has been dead since September 10,
1997. Why is this being posted as new?
What are you? The AO cop? Scram.
WAIT! My sincere apologies to cissybabe. I thought the obit was merely a
few DAYS late. I entirely missed the year.

Mea culpa.

Let the beatings begin!
Brad Ferguson
2005-09-22 20:34:30 UTC
Post by cissybabe
Jack Adkisson, aka Fritz Von Erich, has been dead since September 10,
1997. Why is this being posted as new?
What are you? The AO cop? Scram.
WAIT! My sincere apologies to cissybabe. I thought the obit was merely a
few DAYS late. I entirely missed the year.
Mea culpa.
Let the beatings begin!
In honor of Fritz, they should be carefully choreographed fake
beatings. And you're probably going to need implants.
FREE JUDITH MILLER
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies
Um... what sorta implants?? (Considering the entire family was male.)
Corby Gilmore
2005-09-22 19:36:35 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
Fritz Von Erich dead at 68
DALLAS (AP) -- Jack Adkisson, patriarch of the famed Texas wrestling
family the Von Erichs, died at his Denton County home Wednesday, about
two months after he was diagnosed with cancer. He was 68.
Adkisson, who went by the name Fritz Von Erich during a 35-year
wrestling career, was diagnosed in July with lung cancer that had
spread to his brain and adrenal glands.
Just correcting the header.
--
Corby Gilmore
***@ncf.ca
d***@comcast.net
2005-09-22 19:53:18 UTC
My bad. This showed up in Yahoo News like it was a new obit!
PirateJohn
2005-09-22 20:24:14 UTC
<< My bad. This showed up in Yahoo News like it was a new obit! >>

Don't feel badly. I was going to post a death notice about someone who
used to post to the UFO newsgroups. Then upon doing a little further
research I discovered that he actually died about 4 years ago.

Guess that just goes to show that no one notices some of the loony
posters when they stop posting.