Jerry Rullo, 94; last surviving player from first NBA/BAA Champion Team (Philadelphia Warriors)
a***@gmail.com
2016-11-14 19:26:11 UTC
Rullo might be the last surviving player from the first NBA season in 1946-47 (known as the BAA for the first three years). I have no idea on the "dead or alive" status of Gene Gillette (Washington Capitols), and not sure if Nick Shaback (Cleveland Rebels) is still with us.

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20161030_Jerry_Rullo__94__basketball_pro_became_city_rec_coach.html

Jerry Rullo, 94, of Philadelphia, the last living member of the 1946-47 Philadelphia Warriors championship basketball team who after retiring was a beloved coach for the Philadelphia Department of Recreation, died Friday, Oct. 21, of heart failure at Penn Medicine Rittenhouse.

Mr. Rullo played on the first team to win a championship at a time when the newly formed Basketball Association of America was about to become the NBA.

With the deaths of Ralph Kaplowitz and Angelo Musi in 2009, and now Mr. Rullo, all members of the legendary squad that beat the Chicago Stags to win the best-of-seven series, 4-1, are now gone.

Mr. Rullo played professionally for five seasons, joining the Baltimore Bullets, Philadelphia SPHAS (South Philadelphia Hebrew Association), the Trenton Tigers, and, finally, in 1950-51, the Sunbury Mercury. His career average was 2.9 points per game.

Born in South Philadelphia, he graduated from John Bartram High in 1941, but it was at Temple University that the physical-education major began to shine.

A three-sport athlete for the Owls from 1941 through 1946, Mr. Rullo captained the basketball and soccer teams, and played on the baseball team, Temple wrote online.
a***@gmail.com
2017-07-21 18:25:47 UTC
Gene Gallette (not Gillette) died in the 1970's, so if Shaback is still alive, he is the last survivor of the first season of the BAA/NBA.
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-17 07:34:26 UTC
My dad, Whitey Von Nieda was born 2 days before Jerry and remembers him fondly. He is still thriving. Nick Shaback, per ancestry.com, died January 5, 2010 and Gene Gillette (actually "Gallette") died in the Bay Area in 1976. As far as I can tell, Bill Gabor is the oldest living NBA player.
a***@gmail.com
2017-11-17 12:05:54 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
My dad, Whitey Von Nieda was born 2 days before Jerry and remembers him fondly. He is still thriving. Nick Shaback, per ancestry.com, died January 5, 2010 and Gene Gillette (actually "Gallette") died in the Bay Area in 1976. As far as I can tell, Bill Gabor is the oldest living NBA player.
Do you have a link to that ancestry document? I cannot find anything there. I know probasketballencyclopedia.com had that death date listed, but I'd like to see actual documentation.