Stewart Adam; Australian actor & model
Hyfler/Rosner
2004-06-26 18:59:41 UTC
Herald Sun

Neighbours actor dies from clot
By FIONA BYRNE and MARY PAPADAKIS
27jun04

NEIGHBOURS cast member Stewart Adam has died suddenly from a
blood clot.

The emerging actor and model fell ill at his parents'
Brighton home on Monday night.
He died on the way to hospital.

A post-mortem found deep vein thrombosis - a rare disease
usually associated with long-haul flights - was to blame.

The tightly knit Neighbours set is in shock.

Adam played affable mechanic Aaron Barkley in the popular
soap.

His devastated family was told the fit, healthy and active
24-year-old developed a blood clot in his leg that moved and
lodged in his heart.

Other than a pain in his groin, he had no indication he was
ill, until it was too late.

"The cast was stunned," a spokeswoman for Neighbours said.
"They were all shocked when the announcement was made in the
Green Room. I don't think anyone quite believed what they
were hearing."

While Adam did not play a main character in Neighbours, he
was well-liked and highly regarded by his peers on set. He
was also a sought-after model.

Deborah Miller, who represented Adam at Toorak-based
Cosmopolitan Model Management, described him as someone with
the world at his feet.

"He had it all. He was the most special, beautiful person
you could meet," Miller said.

"He had not been modelling long, but he had a huge future.
There was international interest - he was smart,
good-looking, well-mannered and extremely professional. He
had everything. His death is a tragedy."

Adam's friends rallied to support each other this week,
remembering a vibrant, special friend. Others were flying in
from overseas for his funeral, which will be held in
Brighton tomorrow.

Deep vein thrombosis is a rare, but deadly condition caused
by blood clots forming in the deep veins of the legs.

It is dubbed "economy class syndrome" because of its
well-known link to long flights. About one in every 100
sufferers dies after a clot travels to their lungs, causing
a pulmonary embolism.

Former Australian cricket captain Steve Waugh made headlines
when he suffered the condition after returning from the 2001
Ashes tour.

Those who are overweight, take the contraceptive pill or
hormone replacement therapy, have a history of heart disease
or cancer, or who have had recent surgery, are at increased
risk of developing the condition.

It also has been linked to being immobile in cramped
conditions for long periods.
Maggie
2004-06-26 23:45:35 UTC
Post by Hyfler/Rosner
Herald Sun
Neighbours actor dies from clot
By FIONA BYRNE and MARY PAPADAKIS
27jun04
NEIGHBOURS cast member Stewart Adam has died suddenly from a
blood clot.
The emerging actor and model fell ill at his parents'
Brighton home on Monday night.
He died on the way to hospital.
A post-mortem found deep vein thrombosis - a rare disease
usually associated with long-haul flights - was to blame.
***FYI--deep vein thrombosis is not the least bit rare. It's the third leading
cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer.

Maggie

"Nancy, if you were 8 1/2 months pregnant and I was married to you, I'd be
going fishing Christmas Eve." -- Mark Geragos, to Nancy Grace on LKL
Hyfler/Rosner
2004-06-27 00:25:27 UTC
Post by Maggie
Post by Hyfler/Rosner
Herald Sun
Post by Maggie
cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer.
Maggie
Deep vein thrombosis is a rare subset of stroke, which is
the third leading cause of death in the United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
Maggie
2004-06-27 01:38:12 UTC
Post by Hyfler/Rosner
Post by Maggie
Post by Hyfler/Rosner
Herald Sun
Post by Maggie
cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer.
Maggie
Deep vein thrombosis is a rare subset of stroke, which is
the third leading cause of death in the United States.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
***Nope--not even close. DVT kills up to 200,000 people a year in the US,
making it the third leading cause of death. The deaths are reported by the CDC
as heart disease deaths, and included in those stats.

http://emailwire.com/news/hea3426.shtml

Venous thromboembolism, or VTE, refers to two serious conditions: deep-vein
thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). Deep-vein thrombosis is a common
but under-diagnosed medical condition. It occurs when a blood clot forms in one
of the large veins, usually in the lower limbs, leading to either partially or
completely blocked circulation. Although DVT itself may not be life
threatening, it may lead to a potentially fatal pulmonary embolism (PE).
Published studies estimate the incidence of venous thromboembolism to be at
least 600,000 cases annually, and pulmonary embolism may contribute to 60,000 -
200,000 deaths each year in the United States.

Hyfler/Rosner
2004-06-27 02:11:02 UTC
"Contribute to" is not cause of.
Maggie
2004-06-27 04:07:23 UTC
Post by Maggie
200,000 deaths each year in the United States.
"Contribute to" is not cause of.
***LOL. Well, at least you're no longer claiming deep vein thrombosis is "a
rare type of stroke."

Hyfler/Rosner
2004-06-27 04:36:10 UTC
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
least 600,000 cases annually, and pulmonary embolism
may
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
contribute to 60,000 -
Post by Maggie
200,000 deaths each year in the United States.
"Contribute to" is not cause of.
***LOL. Well, at least you're no longer claiming deep
vein thrombosis is "a
Post by Maggie
rare type of stroke."
No, I'm not. But neither are you admitting your mistake.
Stroke is the third highest cause of death. Not deep vein
thrombosis.
Maggie
2004-06-27 05:42:58 UTC
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
least 600,000 cases annually, and pulmonary embolism
may
Post by Maggie
Post by Maggie
contribute to 60,000 -
Post by Maggie
rare type of stroke."
No, I'm not. But neither are you admitting your mistake.
Stroke is the third highest cause of death. Not deep vein
thrombosis.
***Deep vein thrombosis is not listed as a separate category in the CDC
compliation of causes of death. If it was, it would fall somewhere between
number 3 (if 200,000 is the correct number of deaths each year) and number 8
(if 60,000 is the correct number). The subject has been in the news a great
deal since NBC newsman David Bloom died of it in Iraq last year. Most news
stories cite the "#3 killer" ranking, but an argument could be made that the
figure should be lower, but still in the top ten. From:

http://www.theuniversityhospital.com/healthlink/july2003/vein.html

David Bloom, the late NBC News correspondent, was a dedicated and talented
television journalist. During his last assignment in Iraq, he rode for hours at
a time along with U.S. troops in an M-88 tank, determined to provide the best
coverage of the war as possible. Tragically, the 39-year-old reporter’s zeal
might have contributed to his untimely death earlier this year.

Mr. Bloom’s cause of death was reported to be a pulmonary embolism (PE),
which occurs when part of a blood clot breaks off and travels to the lung,
blocking a pulmonary artery. PE is the third most common cause of death in the
United States. In Mr. Bloom’s case, one theory is that his length of time and
limited mobility in the tank might have resulted in a condition that affects
about 1 in 1,000 people, deep vein thrombosis, (DVT), which led to the
embolism.<end quote>

You can read more about DVT and PE at:

http://www.preventdvt.org/about.html

And that's the last time I make an innocuous comment about a stupid statement
in a foreign rag.

Sheesh.