Healthwatch: Elton John
Jason
2017-04-25 12:59:59 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/arts/music/elton-john-shows-canceled.html?_r=0

Elton John has canceled a series of concerts after contracting a “rare and potentially deadly” bacterial infection while touring in South America.

“During his return flight home from Santiago, Chile, he became violently ill,” Mr. John’s representative said in a statement. The singer, who turned 70 in March, spent two nights in intensive care at a hospital in Britain.

He was released on Saturday, and is resting at home.

“Thankfully, Elton’s medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully,” his representative said. “He is expected to make a full and complete recovery.”

The canceled concerts include the entire run of his “Million Dollar Piano” show at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, as well as a performance in Bakersfield, Calif., on May 6.

Mr. John was hospitalized with appendicitis in 2013, had a respiratory infection in 2012, and was forced to cancel shows after a serious case of E. coli infection and the flu in 2009.

“I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologize for disappointing them,” Mr. John said in the statement. “I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well.”

The singer of hits including “Tiny Dancer” and “Rocket Man” is expected to return to the stage on June 3, at Twickenham Stadium in the London area.
c***@aol.com
2017-04-25 13:10:35 UTC
Yeast infection?
RH Draney
2017-04-25 17:55:19 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
Yeast infection?
Yeast ain't bacteria...my first thought was something like meningitis....r
c***@aol.com
2017-04-25 18:17:12 UTC
Obviously you don't get the joke.
Jake D Jude
2017-04-25 19:20:22 UTC
Maybe it is botulism. You know, too much bad meat in the can.
Anglo Saxon
2017-04-25 19:24:38 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by c***@aol.com
Yeast infection?
Yeast ain't bacteria...my first thought was something like
meningitis....r
How on earth do you go from Intensive Care to being discharged in 2 days
to home? "Up, up, Mr. John! Time to be on your way!"
I don't think so.
gj
2017-04-25 20:01:28 UTC
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 19:24:38 -0000 (UTC), Anglo Saxon
Post by RH Draney
Post by RH Draney
Post by c***@aol.com
Yeast infection?
Yeast ain't bacteria...my first thought was something like
meningitis....r
How on earth do you go from Intensive Care to being discharged in 2 days
to home? "Up, up, Mr. John! Time to be on your way!"
I don't think so.
People with money can get quality medical care at home. Last I
heard, he has money.

-GJ 2.1
Michael OConnor
2017-04-25 20:04:14 UTC
I guess you're a gazillionaire who can hire a full time doctor and nurses to watch over you at home 24/7, you can get discharged. Besides, when news of his hospitalization became public, the hospital would have been swarming with paparazzi and other media personnel, and it would have been a security nightmare.
Terry del Fuego
2017-04-25 22:54:34 UTC
Post by Anglo Saxon
How on earth do you go from Intensive Care to being discharged in 2 days
to home? "Up, up, Mr. John! Time to be on your way!"
I don't think so.
Doesn't seem that crazy if it's a non-mysterious bacterial infection
known to respond well to (a) particular drug(s).
Anglo Saxon
2017-04-25 23:32:33 UTC
Post by Anglo Saxon
How on earth do you go from Intensive Care to being discharged in 2 days
to home? "Up, up, Mr. John! Time to be on your way!"
I don't think so.
Doesn't seem that crazy if it's a non-mysterious bacterial infection
known to respond well to (a) particular drug(s).
It's not hospital protocol anywhere on the face of the earth, much less
England. It hasn't been done since the ICU was invented.
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-04-26 02:09:39 UTC
He’s rich, he’s famous and he’s generous, Sir Elton John has long been a significant donor to charities focusing on humanitarian causes, the arts and medicine. According to the Sunday Times’ Giving List, his recent donations of £23.2 million make him the ninth most generous person in Britain. His £220 million fortune has kept him in fine clothes and filled his homes with flowers, but the singer is also a dedicated charity campaigner and philanthropist. Since 2004, the Giving List has tracked £180m of donations from the Rocket Man singer, and he regularly gives performances in aid of Aids and cancer charities.
Terry del Fuego
2017-04-26 03:31:07 UTC
Ummmm...OK.
Anglo Saxon
2017-04-26 06:17:39 UTC
Post by Anglo Saxon
It's not hospital protocol anywhere on the face of the earth, much less
England. It hasn't been done since the ICU was invented.
Ummmm...OK.
Hey, sorry if I sounded belligerent. I am suffering from "Everything Is
A Giant Lie" syndrome. If you're older than 55, you probably know what I
mean. Come to think of it, maybe obituaries are as close to a fact as
we'll ever read or hear in any medium. Other than the one-off hoaxes...
dead is dead. Hopefully.
Terry del Fuego
2017-04-26 12:42:19 UTC
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 06:17:39 -0000 (UTC), Anglo Saxon
Post by Anglo Saxon
Hey, sorry if I sounded belligerent. I am suffering from "Everything Is
A Giant Lie" syndrome. If you're older than 55, you probably know what I
mean. Come to think of it, maybe obituaries are as close to a fact as
we'll ever read or hear in any medium. Other than the one-off hoaxes...
dead is dead. Hopefully.
I'm older than 55 and now more than ever understand the lie thing, but
I just don't see any particular reason to question this story.
Entertainers and their publicists make stuff up all the time, but I
don't see any gain in lying about this one when they could just fall
back on the tried and true "exhaustion".

A couple years ago one of the "I live here now, deal with it" cats
went from seeming at Death's door for several days to 100% back to
himself overnight after the problem was finally identified and treated
with an old, cheap antibiotic. So the "He was really sick and then he
wasn't" story just doesn't seem that odd to me, though of course
humans aren't cats.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-25 20:22:24 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by c***@aol.com
Yeast infection?
Yeast ain't bacteria...my first thought was something like meningitis....r
I was also thinking meningitis.

---
http://www.avg.com
Topic Cop
I had tickets to the Bakersfield show that was already postponed from March. I was hoping to catch him one more time before the AIDS got him.
Topic Cop
2024-02-03 02:30:05 UTC
Post by Topic Cop
Post by Jason
[...]
Thankfully I caught his farewell 3 times before AIDS forced him off the road.