Mike Gibbons, 71, lead singer of Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods
Keith
2016-04-14 03:25:10 UTC
Mike Gibbons, lead singer of Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods on such hits as
Billy Don't Be a Hero, has died at the age of 71.

Bo Donaldson formed the group in Cincinnati, OH in 1965 but it wasn't
until the early-70's, when the band was touring with the Osmonds, that
they got their big break. They signed with Family Productions and
released their first single, Special Someone, in 1972.

A year later, they moved to ABC Records and scored with their first
single, Billy Don't Be a Hero. Originally a hit in the U.K. by Paper
Lace, the Heywoods version, with Gibbons singing lead, went on to sell
three-and-a-half million copies.

They followed up later in the year with another previous British hit,
Who Do You Think You Are, originally done by Candlewick Green. The
single went to 15 on the Hot 100.

One final top forty hit, The Heartbreak Kid (1974 / #39) and another
that hit the lower depths of the charts, Our Last Song Together (1975 /
#95) marked the end of the group's chart run. They landed on a number of
different labels over the next few years and tried to transition to a
country band but they broke up in the 1980's.

Bo Donaldson reformed the band in 1996 and they have been touring on the
oldies circuit since although Gibbons was no longer involved.
That Derek
2016-04-14 03:59:35 UTC
Too bad "she threw that letter away." Ken Burns might've used it in his Civil War documentary.
RH Draney
2016-04-14 10:36:21 UTC
Post by Keith
A year later, they moved to ABC Records and scored with their first
single, Billy Don't Be a Hero. Originally a hit in the U.K. by Paper
Lace, the Heywoods version, with Gibbons singing lead, went on to sell
three-and-a-half million copies.
Meanwhile, Paper Lace had their own #1 single with "The Night Chicago
Died"...not since "Western Union" and "Red Rubber Ball" have two
otherwise unrelated singles been so closely associated in the minds of
listeners....r
Bryan Styble
2016-04-14 11:20:48 UTC
RD Draney was cryptic while citing The Cyrcle's sole hit and another tune I'm unfamiliar with:

...not since "Western Union" and "Red Rubber Ball" have two otherwise-unrelated singles been so closely associated in the minds of listeners.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Uh, RD, for those of us who move our lips while we read, could you kindly delineate this connection?

I don't know if I'd recognize "Western Union" if I heard it, but I do know this about "Red Rubber Ball": it was the song Jesse Jackson chose to sing during his monologue while hosting "Saturday Night Live".

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Charles Richmond
2016-04-14 14:47:02 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
RD Draney was cryptic while citing The Cyrcle's sole hit and another tune
...not since "Western Union" and "Red Rubber Ball" have two
otherwise-unrelated singles been so closely associated in the minds of
listeners.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Uh, RD, for those of us who move our lips while we read, could you kindly
delineate this connection?
I don't know if I'd recognize "Western Union" if I heard it, but I do know
this about "Red Rubber Ball": it was the song Jesse Jackson chose to sing
during his monologue while hosting "Saturday Night Live".
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Western Union (as in a telegram) -- The Five Americans

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
RH Draney
2016-04-14 16:44:17 UTC
"Sole hit"?...you never heard "Turn Down Day"?...r
MJ Emigh
2016-04-14 21:47:15 UTC

Huh? I don't recall a connection. I used to get The Five Americans mixed up with Every Mother's Son for some reason, but not The Cyrcle.
That Derek
2016-04-14 17:21:43 UTC
Post by RH Draney
"Turn Down Day"?...
... and I dig it.
David Carson
2016-04-18 00:30:30 UTC
Post by Keith
Mike Gibbons, lead singer of Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods on such hits as
Billy Don't Be a Hero, has died at the age of 71.
When?
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Kenny McCormack
2016-04-18 13:03:50 UTC
Post by Keith
Mike Gibbons, lead singer of Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods on such hits as
Billy Don't Be a Hero, has died at the age of 71.
When?
According to Wikipedia:

* Lead singer and trumpeter Mike Gibbons died on 2 April 2016.
--
First of all, I do not appreciate your playing stupid here at all.

- Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn -
t***@iwvisp.com
2016-04-18 17:35:04 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by Keith
Mike Gibbons, lead singer of Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods on such hits as
Billy Don't Be a Hero, has died at the age of 71.
When?
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Bo Donaldson announced it on his Facebook page on 4.3.16. I posted it on the A O Facebook the same day.

Ray Arthur
That Derek
2016-04-18 16:03:41 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
First of all, I do not appreciate your playing stupid here at all.
Cut Mr. Carson -- an ace statistician, IMHO -- a break. The original posting did not give a date for Mr. Gibbons' passing.

In the words of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, "Who do you think you are?"
David Carson
2016-04-18 17:11:34 UTC
Post by That Derek
Post by Kenny McCormack
First of all, I do not appreciate your playing stupid here at all.
Cut Mr. Carson -- an ace statistician, IMHO -- a break. The original posting did not give a date for Mr. Gibbons' passing.
I still haven't found one. I also haven't found his place or cause of
death. So, the story only gives us the "who" and "what" - two of the five
Ws of journalism.
Post by That Derek
In the words of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, "Who do you think you are?"
Someone who isn't aware how long he's been in my kill filter?

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Kenny McCormack
2016-04-18 17:17:38 UTC
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-05 03:54:20 UTC
Bryan Styble
2016-04-18 20:02:28 UTC
"That Derek" reflected:

In the words of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, "Who do you think you are?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You might just as well have been quoting Jean Knight, in "Mr. Big Stuff".

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Rob Cibik
2016-04-18 20:51:15 UTC
Post by That Derek
Post by Kenny McCormack
First of all, I do not appreciate your playing stupid here at all.
Cut Mr. Carson -- an ace statistician, IMHO -- a break. The original posting did not give a date for Mr. Gibbons' passing.
In the words of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, "Who do you think you are?"
KM is an elitist, hypocritical progressive who can't post without
finding some way to politicize and/or condescend. The only reason I read
his drivel is to confirm my critique.

I can't remember the last time, if any, he posted something on topic.

I look forward to David's monthly recap of Dead or Alive and his wit.
He's a long time poster here and about the only person I can remember
disparaging him is KM. That ought to tell you something.
Sarah Ehrett
2016-04-18 21:37:39 UTC
Post by Rob Cibik
Post by That Derek
Post by Kenny McCormack
First of all, I do not appreciate your playing stupid here at all.
Cut Mr. Carson -- an ace statistician, IMHO -- a break. The original posting did not give a date for Mr. Gibbons' passing.
In the words of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, "Who do you think you are?"
KM is an elitist, hypocritical progressive who can't post without
finding some way to politicize and/or condescend. The only reason I read
his drivel is to confirm my critique.
I can't remember the last time, if any, he posted something on topic.
I look forward to David's monthly recap of Dead or Alive and his wit.
He's a long time poster here and about the only person I can remember
disparaging him is KM. That ought to tell you something.
I couldn't agree more, Rob. David Carson is one of few I look
forward to reading on AO.