original Dingleberry's Records store; first in the United States to show music videos
Hoodoo
2006-02-10 07:25:13 UTC
Original Dingleberry's store set to close

Wife says it's not the same since husband, co-owner died

Dayton Daily News
http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0210dingleberrys.html

WASHINGTON TWP., MONTGOMERY COUNTY | The original Dingleberry's
Records store is going the way of the vinyl record and eight-track
tape. The venerable independent music store that opened in 1974 will
close its Miamisburg-Centerville Road location at 9 p.m. Saturday.

Dingleberry's co-owner Greg Savage, 56, died in December of a heart
attack. His wife, Bev, said it wouldn't be right to keep the store
open without him.

"Too many reminders, too many memories of Greg," she said. "He was the
heart and soul of this store."

Dingleberry's stocked a diverse array of music, including independent
records, and it also supported local bands. The store was lauded by
Billboard magazine in 1977 as the first in the United States to show
music videos. "Greg was very proud of that," Savage said.

"I like coming here and looking at all the nostalgia they've got on
the walls," said Duane Prosise of Centerville. "I'm sad to see it go."

Jeff Schroeder of Miamisburg used to hang out at Dingleberry's when he
was in high school. "This was the place we all came and got our jazz
albums we listened to back in the '70s."

Dingleberry's will continue its Yellow Springs location, operated by
the Savages' daughter, Adrienne. "We are the only music store out
there and we think it's just a good fit," Savage said.

Competition in recent years from big box stores impacted the original
Dingleberry's business. "It's hard to compete with big stores like
that, especially on new releases," Savage said.

Artists who visited Dingleberry's

Michael Jackson
Ted Nugent
Todd Rundgren
Charlie Daniels
Blue Oyster Cult
J. Geils Band
Pantera
Journey
Little Feat
Molly Hatchet
Queensryche
Al Jarreau
Ace Frehley
Poison
Damn Yankees
The Cranberries
Testament
The Outlaws
Michael Martin Murphy
Terry del Fuego
2006-02-10 13:32:45 UTC
Post by Hoodoo
WASHINGTON TWP., MONTGOMERY COUNTY | The original Dingleberry's
Records store is going the way of the vinyl record
Does that mean it's enjoying a slight, though measurable, increase in
sales?

--
http://tinyurl.com/exz8v