Cincinnati's ban on 'Festival Seating', 1979-2004
Rob Petrie
2004-08-05 16:27:29 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

Cincinnati police tend to victims crushed before a concert by The Who on
December 3, 1979. [photo]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/05/festival.seating.ap/index.html

Cincinnati lifts 1979 ban prompted by deadly Who concert

Thursday, August 5, 2004 Posted: 8:21 AM EDT (1221 GMT)

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- The city council on Wednesday lifted a nearly
25-year ban on concert general admission seating that was imposed after 11
fans were crushed to death at a performance by the rock group The Who.

The unanimous decision came after council members said some performers were
skipping Cincinnati because they could not have general admission seating,
often known as festival seating. They said Cincinnati was the only one among
the top 50 cities for concert venues that did not allow festival seating.

The fans were killed December 3, 1979, when The Who was preparing for a
concert at Riverfront Coliseum, now U.S. Bank Arena. The deaths and dozens
of injuries occurred when fans rushed at closed doors during a late sound
check because they thought the show had started.

Festival seating appeals to promoters because it is first-come,
first-served, allowing the most enthusiastic fans to get near the stage and
generate excitement for the rest of the crowd. Some performers and bands
insist on a festival seating area near the stage.

A one-time exemption to Cincinnati's ban was granted for a Bruce Springsteen
concert in 2002 and no problems resulted.

City officials said the new system will limit the number of tickets for the
general admission area based on the square footage of the concert location.
Tickets will be sold before the day of the show, and all doors to the
festival seating area will have to be opened two hours before the concert.

Ushers and security personnel also will have to be in place before the doors
are opened, and a written evacuation plan will be required.
Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
2004-08-05 19:15:47 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Cincinnati police tend to victims crushed before a concert by The Who on
December 3, 1979. [photo]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/05/festival.seating.ap/index.html
Cincinnati lifts 1979 ban prompted by deadly Who concert
Thursday, August 5, 2004 Posted: 8:21 AM EDT (1221 GMT)
CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- The city council on Wednesday lifted a nearly
25-year ban on concert general admission seating that was imposed after 11
fans were crushed to death at a performance by the rock group The Who.

This story figured strongly in an episode of WKRP in Cinci.
The show was strongly in favour of the ban. I guess the city
will learn its lesson anew.
J.D. Baldwin
2004-08-05 20:31:49 UTC
In the previous article, Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
Post by Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
This story figured strongly in an episode of WKRP in Cinci.
The show was strongly in favour of the ban. I guess the city
will learn its lesson anew.
The main "lesson" that needed to be learned was that you don't bottle
tens of thousands of concertgoers up in one area, then let them all
loose suddenly to rush through constricted passageways into another
area. *That* is just plain fucking stupid, but there is nothing
whatsoever wrong with general admission seating for public events.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
Don Mackie
2004-08-06 07:31:03 UTC
Post by Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
This story figured strongly in an episode of WKRP in Cinci.
The show was strongly in favour of the ban. I guess the city
will learn its lesson anew.
The main "lesson" that needed to be learned was that you don't bottle
tens of thousands of concertgoers up in one area, then let them all
loose suddenly to rush through constricted passageways into another
area.
A version of the lesson of Hillsborough, Rangers and a dozen other
sports stadium events....
Just a smile. Just a glance.
Mpoconnor7
2004-08-06 00:05:00 UTC
Post by Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
This story figured strongly in an episode of WKRP in Cinci.
The show was strongly in favour of the ban. I guess the city
will learn its lesson anew.
WKRP had no choice but to address the issue. Since WKRP was a big rock station
in Cincinnati (in the context of the show), if the Who were coming to town,
WKRP would promote the concert.

Had the show instead been called WKRP in Denver, it would have been in bad
taste IMO for them to create a fictitious situation in Denver similar to the
Who incident to address the subject of Festval or General Admission seating.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Rob Petrie
2004-08-07 10:35:33 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
Post by Rob Petrie
Cincinnati lifts 1979 ban prompted by deadly Who concert
Thursday, August 5, 2004 Posted: 8:21 AM EDT (1221 GMT)
CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- The city council on Wednesday lifted a nearly
25-year ban on concert general admission seating that was imposed after 11
fans were crushed to death at a performance by the rock group The Who.
This story figured strongly in an episode of WKRP in Cinci.
Yes, we know. :-)
Post by Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
The show was strongly in favour of the ban. I guess the city
will learn its lesson anew.
No problem with General Admission anywhere else I ever heard about.
I never heard of St. Louis Cardinals' baseball fans crushed to death
in a mad rush to snap up General Admission tickets to a popular game.
(although sometimes, it feels that way.)
It was how Cincinnati designed the entrances to that concert arena
to be so narrow that was one more important cause of the 11 dead.
Terry del Fuego
2004-08-06 02:07:02 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
The fans were killed December 3, 1979
And for a year or so after that, every time I was stuck in a fairly
large crowd, someone would inevitably would start hooting out "Who!
Who!"
Louis Epstein
2004-08-06 04:09:12 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Rob Petrie
The fans were killed December 3, 1979
And for a year or so after that, every time I was stuck in a fairly
large crowd, someone would inevitably would start hooting out "Who!
Who!"
Was this appeal ever answered by a sneezing sound attending
the materialization of a police-box-shaped object larger on
the inside than the outside?

-=-=-
Radioactive ABQ
2004-08-06 06:02:51 UTC
What in G-d's name does that mean or refer to?!?!
Matthew Kruk
British Series Dr. Who.
Rob Petrie
2004-08-07 10:37:33 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Rob Petrie
The fans were killed December 3, 1979
And for a year or so after that, every time I was stuck in a fairly
large crowd, someone would inevitably would start hooting out "Who!
Who!"
I feel the same way when stuck in an elevator with bunches of people,
but I feel more like yelling out: "Give me room!"
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-08-07 15:34:45 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Rob Petrie
The fans were killed December 3, 1979
And for a year or so after that, every time I was stuck in a fairly
large crowd, someone would inevitably would start hooting out "Who!
Who!"
I feel the same way when stuck in an elevator with bunches of people,
but I feel more like yelling out: "Give me room!"
Just how often does getting stuck in an elevator happen to you, so that
it allows you to give the situation so much thought?
--
© The Wiz ®