Dusty Hill, ZZ Top
2021-07-28 20:55:26 UTC
<https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2021/07/28/zz-tops-dusty-hill-dies-age-72/>
ZZ Top?s Dusty Hill dies at age 72
By Gray News staff
Published: Jul. 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM PDT|Updated: moments ago
(Gray News) - Dusty Hill, bass player for the band ZZ Top, has died,
the band announced Wednesday on Facebook. He was 72 years old.
Band members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said in the post that Hill
had died in his sleep at his Houston home.
"We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss
your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to
providing that monumental bottom to the ?Top,?" they said. "We will
forever be connected to that ?Blues Shuffle in C.?"
The band said in a July 23 post that Hill was headed back home from
the current tour to deal with a hip issue, describing it as a "short
detour." They said at the time, at Hill?s request, the show would go
on with their long-time guitar tech Elwood Francis filling in.
ZZ Top celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019 with a tour and a
documentary, "ZZ Top: That Little Ol? Band From Texas."
This brings an end to the trio lineup that had constituted ZZ Top
since 1970.

2021-07-30 15:17:26 UTC
Any of y'all ZZ Top fans know if the band ever finally explained the
derivation of the Texas trio's name? (I know that sometime during the
'80s they claimed it was not only a secret, but also one they intended
to keep*.)
The Wikipedia article claims (sourcing to a Soundcloud link that
isn't actually there) that Gibbons thought about B.B. King,
Z.Z. Hill,and putting the ZZ together with "being at the top"
(of the hill?) like a king.
Me, I always thought it may have alluded to how The Flash** adversary The Top would have his lethal spinners kinetically illustrated by Carmine Infantino, the gold-standard of Flash pencillers.
* The late Jerry Lewis--the entertainer, not the Republican U.S. Rep from California who died this month--at least once said the same thing about whatever it was that prompted him to adopt Muscular Dystrophy as his signature charitable cause--and that even his family was not privy to his secret. His son Gary Lewis--of Gary Lewis & The Playboys radio Top 40 fame***--guested on "Radioactive Albuquerque with Bryan Styble" in 2004, and I asked him if that was indeed the case, and he replied that he indeed didn't know what started it all for his father (but added he was not speaking for other family members, only for himself).
** The Flash iteration from the so-called Silver Age.
*** You may not know that that fantastic single "Just My Style" by The Playboys was the VERY FIRST tune rock drummer extraordinaire Jim Keltner**** played on after arriving in Hollywood from Tulsa.
**** As well as, of course, the frequent studio and touring beat-keeper on The Neverending Tour through 2005 for that too-bad-he-can't-sing fellow with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice, beginning with the remarkable November 1970 NYC session at which "When I Paint My Masterpiece" was recorded under the production guidance of Leon Russell.
Topic Cop
2021-07-31 04:44:07 UTC
will they bury him in his fake beard?
Topic Cop