Sergei Nikitich Khrushchev, 84, Russian-born engineer; son of "Khrushchev, that bald Communist"
2020-06-19 04:07:34 UTC
https://tass.com/society/1169413

18 Jun, 21:11

Ex-Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev’s son dies in US
Sergei Krushchev was 84 years old

NEW YORK, June 19. /TASS/. Sergei Krushchev, a son of former Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, passed away on Thursday in the United States at the age of 84, Nina Khrushcheva, a granddaughter of the ex-Soviet leader told TASS.

Asked by a TASS correspondent whether news about Sergei Khrushchev’s death was true, Nina Krushcheva replied: "Yes."

"We deeply regret to say that Sergei Nikitich [Krushchev] has passed away," she said without giving details about the cause of his death and a possible date of his funeral.

Sergei Khrushchev was born on July 2, 1935 and he held several advanced engineering decrees, including a Ph.D. from the Moscow Technical University. He was accompanying his father during Nikita Krushchev’s visit to the United States in 1959.

In 1991, Sergei Khrushchev moved to reside in the United States, where he was giving lectures on the history of the Cold War at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.

On July 12, 1999, Sergei Khrushchev and his spouse, Valentina, became naturalized citizens of the United States.
Bryan Styble
2020-06-19 09:29:13 UTC
I never noticed until now that Khrushchev, at least as transliterated here in The West, has three Hs!

By the way, his father's smuggled-out-of-USSR memoir "Khrushchev Remembers" is absolute vital reading, Boys and Girls! Aside from what you would expect--e.g., his presence at the Thursday, March 5, 1953* Stalin deathbed** scene, a more detailed account than what you'll find in Svetlana's memoir "20 Letters to a Friend"--and remarkable anecdotes about attending college with Stalin's incognito wife, it offers important background to his historic February 1956 deStalinization "secret speech".

His late son Sergei also was a fascinating man as well (and, so ironically, ultimately a solid U.S. citizen), and I always wondered if junior was involved--or perhaps wholly behind?--the KR smuggling for Western publication. I remember when it first came out there was no "by Nikita" byline on the cover--just the title "Khrushchev Remembers", and an introduction providing scant details as to how the manuscript so-thankfully reached The West.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_______________________________________
* The same date, oddly enough, that saw the deaths of Soviet composer Sergei Prokofiev and "Citizen Kane" scriptwriter*** Herman Mankiewicz.
** Actually, it was a deathCOUCH, situated in the large living room of Stalin's dacha.
*** And yes, this mass media nerd--whose Florida condo is named "Zanadu"****!--is fully aware that Joseph Mankiewicz's much-older brother (and Ben Mankiewicz grandfather) is only credited therein as a CO-writer, and ALSO aware that Welles engineered that mis-crediting for profits-distribution reasons.
**** Z, rather than Kane's (and Olivia Newton-John's) X, in allusion and tribute to Zimmerman, as in that guy with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice.
Bryan Styble
2020-06-19 11:57:13 UTC
Oh, and BY THE WAY:

Does anyone other than iittle ol' idiosyncratic me find it kinda sorta eerie that the Nikita* Khrushchev died Saturday, September 11, 1971...the same day that ubiquitous character actor (and Khrushchev look-alike) Percy Helton died?

STYBLE/Florida
* Whom nobody suspects Elton John was singing about in that, catchy, eponymous mid-'80s tune.
Louis Epstein
2020-06-20 20:25:02 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
[...]
Sergei's son has already died...there were successive
Khrushchev generations of Sergei,Nikita,Sergei,and Nikita...
does anyone know if the late younger Nikita left a son Sergei?
Post by Bryan Styble
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_______________________________________
* The same date, oddly enough, that saw the deaths of Soviet composer
Sergei Prokofiev and "Citizen Kane" scriptwriter*** Herman Mankiewicz.
** Actually, it was a deathCOUCH, situated in the large living room of Stalin's dacha.
"Stop it,please!...can't you see the man is dead?"
Post by Bryan Styble
*** And yes, this mass media nerd--whose Florida condo is named
"Zanadu"****!--is fully aware that Joseph Mankiewicz's much-older
brother (and Ben Mankiewicz grandfather) is only credited therein as a
CO-writer, and ALSO aware that Welles engineered that mis-crediting for
profits-distribution reasons.
And you are familiar with the joke about Welles and Mankiewicz
told by Spider Robinson?
Post by Bryan Styble
**** Z, rather than Kane's (and Olivia Newton-John's)
(And far more pertinently,Samuel Taylor Coleridge's)