Harry Galifianakis, 82 (father of Zach)
jdunlop
2018-07-20 19:46:57 UTC
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/obituary.aspx?pid=189638150

Saw this in the Raleigh paper today. Terrific obit, and I’m from reading this, I’m sorry I never met him.
j***@gmail.com
2018-07-21 02:15:28 UTC
Stretching it pretty thin though. Where does it end? I mean headline news, even the small stuff, like, "Friend of Son to Cousin of Woman Who Married the Grand Nephew of Michael Corleone almost died today when a large crate......................" I mean, I wouldn't recognize the famous Galifianakis if I saw him coming down the street.

But on a serious note, on the subject of obituary writing - my knowledge is very limited, that's why I'm asking the question: Isn't it possible for a good obituary writer to make anyone's life sound interesting without needing to lie even once?" I'm betting the answer is yes, a good obit can be written about anyone. Even if their stories are small they are interesting in some way. Instead of, "He joined the Army when he was 17", it could be, "At age 17 he was involved in a funny encounter in route to the market to buy a loaf of bread for his mother." As long as the story is interesting, who cares how known the dead person was? I am not qualified to rate the obit in question (although I could if I wanted to). But I did think it was a bit long. Or maybe I'm just impatient. Anyway, so, like, I mean, here's my condolences on the passing.

HWBM (he will be missed)
j***@gmail.com
2018-07-21 03:35:58 UTC
I got sidetracked, by myself as usual. I meant to say that I enjoy reading obituaries now and then, but sometimes when they are really long all I see the money that paid for the obit more than the obit itself. It does cost money to print an obit, doesn't it? So I was saying that if a person had enough money to pay for a friend or whatever, I'm sure enough genuine real-life experiences without embellishment could be supplied for the writer to come back with something worth reading. But I think in order to call an obit good, it would have to be free of distractions - same as with rating a movie, it can't be a good movie if the viewer is too aware of the camera. In that same way if an obit is too long and all the reader sees is how much money the obit cost, I think that detracts from the obit and is therefore cannot be called high quality in that case. That was the system I used in rating the obit of the comedian's father. Not bad but not great either.