Removed: 'Aunt Jemima' name and image on pancake mix & syrup
Add Reply
Jason
2020-06-17 12:30:43 UTC
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/aunt-jemima-brand-will-change-name-remove-image-quaker-says-n1231260

The Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mix will get a new name and image, Quaker Oats announced Wednesday, saying the company recognizes that "Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype."

The 130-year-old brand features a Black woman named Aunt Jemima, who was originally dressed as a minstrel character.

The picture has changed over time, and in recent years Quaker removed the “mammy” kerchief from the character to blunt growing criticism that the brand perpetuated a racist stereotype that dated to the days of slavery. But Quaker, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, said removing the image and name is part of an effort by the company “to make progress toward racial equality.”

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a press release. “As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers’ expectations."

Kroepfl said the company has worked to "update" the brand to be "appropriate and respectful" but it realized the changes were insufficient.

Aunt Jemima has faced renewed criticism recently amid protests across the nation and around the world sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody.

People on social media called out the brand for continuing to use the image and discussed its racist history, with the topic trending on Twitter.

Aunt Jemima is “a retrograde image of black womanhood on store shelves," Riché Richardson, an associate professor at Cornell University, told the “TODAY” show on Wednesday. “It’s an image that harkens back to the antebellum plantation ... Aunt Jemima is that kind of stereotype is premised on this idea of black inferiority and otherness.”

The company's own timeline of the product says Aunt Jemima was first "brought to life" by Nancy Green, a black woman who was formerly enslaved and became the face of the product in 1890.

In 2015, a judge dismissed a lawsuit against the company by two men who claimed to be descendants of Anna Harrington, a black woman who began portraying Jemima in the 1930s, saying the company didn't properly compensate her estate with royalties.

Quaker said the new packaging will begin to appear in the fall of 2020, and a new name for the foods will be announced at a later date.

The company also announced it will donate at least $5 million over the next five years "to create meaningful, ongoing support and engagement in the Black community."

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Image: Ben Kesslen
Ben Kesslen
Ben Kesslen is a reporter for NBC News.
Guilty Bastard
2020-06-17 14:32:13 UTC
What about Uncle Ben rice? I bet the 'Sambo Restaurant' execs are very
glad they changed the name. heh! heh! heh!
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-17 15:40:39 UTC
Sambo's was right to change it.
Louis Epstein
2020-06-17 18:12:42 UTC
Post by Guilty Bastard
What about Uncle Ben rice? I bet the 'Sambo Restaurant' execs are very
glad they changed the name. heh! heh! heh!
Put Uncle Ben on healthwatch:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/business/aunt-jemima-logo-change/
https://www.mars.com/news-and-stories/press-releases/uncle-bens-brand-evolution

They've evolved him before but this time may be into oblivion.

So is it the woke thing to not allow blacks to hold domestic
service jobs catering to whites,or acknowledge the achievements
of those who have done so?

2020-06-17 14:50:48 UTC
My query concerns rival syrup purveyor Mrs. Butterworth? Is she African-American or is she a Southern white woman trapped in the body of a dark-colored bottle?

Here’s a YouTube link to a 1970s “Mrs. Butterworth” commercial featuring a pre-“Facts of Life” Kim “Tootie” Fields with old time radio/voice-over aactress Bryna Raeburn essaying the role of Mrs. Butterworth.

One of my guilty pleasures has always been Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS. As of late, they’ve been quietly phased out probably owing to aging demographics. But now there’s a relatively new cable channel called All-Arts, dedicated to re-running PBS content, and, voila!, one can access Welk’s “musical family” Sunday mornings at 11 AM/Eastern (the introductions and wrap-arounds done by former cast members, however, are roughly twenty years old).

Sometime in the late 1970s, Welk producers started sanitizing and “de-racializing” the songs they presented. Thus, “Boy, you can give me a shine,” in “Chattanooga Choo-Choo” was neutralized to “Hey, can you tell me the time?” In another instance, resident male country singer Jim Turner rendered the entire “Blue-Tailed Fly”/”Jimmy Crack Corn” perennial with the lyrics “My Ol’ Boss has gone away” supplanting all references to “My Master” (as if the fogeys in the audience who grew up with “my master” weren’t going to notice).

Anyway, the Welk singers once delivered Dixieland favorite “Alabama Jubilee,” which celebrates a big musical jam session. It traditionally starts out with “You oughta see Deacon Jones when he rattles dem bones, Ol’ Parson Brown dancin’ ‘round like a clown, and Aunt Jemima, who is past eighty-three, shouting ‘I’m full of pep, watch yer step, watch yer step…’”

The Welk-ers altered “Aunt Jemima” to “Miss Virginia.” Looks like they were ahead of their time.
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-17 15:45:12 UTC
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 10:50:50 AM UTC-4, That Derek wrote:

Post by That Derek
The Welk-ers altered “Aunt Jemima” to “Miss Virginia.” Looks like they were ahead of their time.
Lawrence Welk was ahead of his time in more ways than one:

Scott Brady
2020-06-18 14:22:36 UTC
What about Frank Thomas for boner pills?
Scott Brady
2020-06-17 14:51:22 UTC
"But religious stereotypes are still cool, right?" inquired a spokesperson for the Religious Society of Friends, makers of Reverend Ike syrup and pancake mix.
That Derek
2020-06-17 16:03:38 UTC
I always liked the Lawrence goes "hippie" put-on:

l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-17 19:15:40 UTC
What most people don't realize is that the Mammy stereotype was, in fact, a cover-up for a painful fact of slavery. (No, I don't remember where I heard this.)

Namely, female domestic slaves weren't fat and middle-aged. The white male slaveowners specifically chose those who were young, trim and pretty. Three guesses why. Eventually society - and fiction writers - became uncomfortable with this and tried to pretend slaveowners were more "civilized" than that. It worked - if only in the sense that decades after the Civil War, many people no longer remembered how the stereotype came to be in the first place.

For a somewhat different take on it:

https://sites.psu.edu/academy/2015/10/25/the-myth-of-jezebel-and-mammy/

2020-06-19 02:15:20 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
What most people don't realize is that the Mammy stereotype was, in fact, a cover-up for a painful fact of slavery. (No, I don't remember where I heard this.)
Namely, female domestic slaves weren't fat and middle-aged. The white male
slaveowners specifically chose those who were young, trim and pretty. Three
guesses why. Eventually society - and fiction writers - became uncomfortable
with this and tried to pretend slaveowners were more "civilized" than that. It
worked - if only in the sense that decades after the Civil War, many people no
longer remembered how the stereotype came to be in the first place.
I have a hunch the WEALTHY white male slaveowners had their pick,
but the proud-to-own-one-slave types who made up the rank and file of
secessionism took the women they could afford to buy.
2020-06-19 04:37:56 UTC
Call it a hunch on MY part, but from what I've always heard, being a house slave was always a lot easier than being a field hand, whether you were male or female. So if you were a slaveowner who could only afford one slave, I would think that you would buy a field hand and do the leftover, lighter work yourself. Or split the leftover work with your spouse. In other words, a house slave should have sounded like a luxury to most slaveowners, while a field hand might have been a "necessity."

2020-06-19 04:44:32 UTC
Or: If you didn't need a field hand, why would you want the expense of buying and owning a house slave either?
Bryan Styble
2020-06-19 13:55:20 UTC
Anyone herein know offhand which of these two possible circumstances the soon-to-be Orwell-ized Nancy Green* worked under? The late Green, of course, was the former slave hired for promotional purposes as the first Aunt Jemima back in the late 19th Century.

To wit:

Was she required (or at least expected) by company execs to stay in character when out on the road wowing the public--or even worse, instructed to pretend to be someone's actual Aunt Jemima?

Or, MUCH more happily:

Was she instead allowed the dignity during her appearances of being what she indeed so improbably was, a freedwoman whom fortune awarded with a positively Fitzgerald**-confounding second act in her life, and in showbiz, to boot***?

* Killed as an 88-year-old bystander in a truck-car crash on the streets of her adopted hometown Chicago, Thursday, August 30, 1923.
** Not only do I find "The Great Gatsby" considerably overrated, but moreover, ol' Francis Scott's oft-cited contention that there are no second acts in American life is something which: (1) doesn't make a whit of sense; and (2) anyway is flat-out demonstrably false.
*** Talk about "up from slavery"!
Louis Epstein
2020-06-20 20:27:12 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Or: If you didn't need a field hand, why would you want the expense of
buying and owning a house slave either?
If you're not a farmer,and want some housekeeping done,
why employ a housekeeper if you can buy one?

2020-06-20 20:37:12 UTC
Well, maybe because even 200 years ago, a bachelor didn't necessarily need housework done every day, and, for far less money, could "hire" someone else's slave to come over once a week? That's not the same as buying, after all.
Louis Epstein
2020-06-21 17:07:03 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Well, maybe because even 200 years ago, a bachelor didn't necessarily need housework done every day, and, for far less money, could "hire" someone else's slave to come over once a week? That's not the same as buying, after all.
But a middle class family that felt owning a slave was a mark of upward
mobility would be likely to pick one that wasn't there to be the man
of the house's side piece.And they were a larger component of the
slave-owning population (as opposed to owning a larger component of
the slave population) than the large landowners.

d***@gmail.com
2020-06-30 01:50:02 UTC
What took them so long to
demand more free money?!

LOLOLOL we are sunk!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/aunt-jemimas-relatives-want-reparations
That Derek
2020-06-18 15:45:06 UTC
<< Frank Thomas

Huh? Frank Thomas was the actor who portrayed "Tom Corbett, Space cadet," who's been deceased since 2008.

What are you talking about?
Bryan Styble
2020-06-18 16:04:55 UTC
He's talking about the retired major league baseball slugger Frank Thomas. And his ads on cable are indeed a hoot, Derek.

Meanwhile, even a jaded type like me finds rather eyebrow-raising some of the images conjured after searching "early Aunt Jemima" in Google Images. That circa 1915 mask is especially garish, no?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2020-06-18 18:03:02 UTC
Normally I don't suppose this would be relevant--ergo why I didn't think to highlight this fact above, Derek--but given the nature of the men's product which ChiSox stalwart Frank Thomas hawks in those goofy cable spots, it is especially pertinent that Thomas's nickname is The Big Hurt.

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2020-06-19 02:12:30 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
He's talking about the retired major league baseball slugger Frank Thomas.
The one who played for 7 different National League teams (starting with
his hometown Pirates) and retired in 1966 with 286 HR and 962 RBI?
2020-06-18 18:38:13 UTC
I never heard of the latter-day Frank Thomas nor whatever male enhancement product he hawks.

This reminds me of the time when Sgt. Preston portrayer Richard Simmons died. I informed a co-worker with "did you hear Richard Simmons died?" As I talked up Simmons-as-Preston reruns and how his reruns preceded "Uncle Floyd" on Channel 68, and not the exercise/Deal-A-Meal guy, my friend said "When you said 'Richard Simmons," I thought you were talking about THE 'Richard Simmons,'" to which I responded "I WAS."

As for Aunt Jemima, to borrow a DC Comics dynamic, I guess the one who resembled Hattie McDaniel was the Earth-Two Aunt Jemima, and the modern one resides on Earth-One.
RH Draney
2020-06-18 21:41:58 UTC
I never heard of the latter-day Frank Thomas nor whatever male enhancement product he hawks.
This reminds me of the time when Sgt. Preston portrayer Richard Simmons died. I informed a co-worker with "did you hear Richard Simmons died?" As I talked up Simmons-as-Preston reruns and how his reruns preceded "Uncle Floyd" on Channel 68, and not the exercise/Deal-A-Meal guy, my friend said "When you said 'Richard Simmons," I thought you were talking about THE 'Richard Simmons,'" to which I responded "I WAS."
As for Aunt Jemima, to borrow a DC Comics dynamic, I guess the one who resembled Hattie McDaniel was the Earth-Two Aunt Jemima, and the modern one resides on Earth-One.
AKA "Golden Age" and "Silver Age"?...

Perhaps it's time for KFC to retire the image of the white guy in the
white suit as well....r
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-19 00:42:40 UTC
Not a bad idea. Every time I see the Colonel, I'm thinking he will be late for a Klan meeting tonight.
RH Draney
2020-06-19 01:05:24 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by RH Draney
Perhaps it's time for KFC to retire the image of the white guy in the
white suit as well....r
Not a bad idea. Every time I see the Colonel, I'm thinking he will be late for a Klan meeting tonight.
Perhaps we could start with an even more triggery mascot, like Jack from
Jack in the Box...every time I see that guy I think "entitled yuppie
scum"....r
Louis Epstein
2020-06-19 02:13:33 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by RH Draney
Perhaps it's time for KFC to retire the image of the white guy in the
white suit as well....r
Not a bad idea. Every time I see the Colonel, I'm thinking he will be late for a Klan meeting tonight.
No,wrong headgear.
But the Colonel died decades ago and Kentucky was a Union state.

m***@gmail.com
2020-06-19 00:40:51 UTC
I never heard of the latter-day Frank Thomas nor whatever male enhancement product he hawks.
This reminds me of the time when Sgt. Preston portrayer Richard Simmons died. I informed a co-worker with "did you hear Richard Simmons died?" As I talked up Simmons-as-Preston reruns and how his reruns preceded "Uncle Floyd" on Channel 68, and not the exercise/Deal-A-Meal guy, my friend said "When you said 'Richard Simmons," I thought you were talking about THE 'Richard Simmons,'" to which I responded "I WAS."
As for Aunt Jemima, to borrow a DC Comics dynamic, I guess the one who resembled Hattie McDaniel was the Earth-Two Aunt Jemima, and the modern one resides on Earth-One.
When I hear the name Frank Thomas, I think about the home run slugger for the hapless NY Mets in 1962 and 1963.