Rebecca Luker 1961-2020
2020-12-23 18:44:01 UTC
The New York Times and other trade and general media are
reporting the death on this day (December 23rd 2020) of
actress and singer Rebecca Luker (born April 17th 1961).
She had a rapidly advancing case of amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (quite different from Stephen Hawking's).

Her Wikipedia bio mentions she was married to a Danny
Burstein...as on the a.o community we are mainly an
intersection of email addresses I do not know if that
is the Danny Burstein who has long been a regular here.
But her death should not go un-noted,and it is clear
that she was and will be missed.

2020-12-24 00:56:17 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The New York Times and other trade and general media are
reporting the death on this day (December 23rd 2020) of
actress and singer Rebecca Luker (born April 17th 1961).
My thoughts on the glorious Rebecca Luker:
https://twitter.com/TimReviews/status/1341825398880038914
amelia rosner
Different Danny Burstein. He is a well-known actor.
danny burstein
2020-12-25 17:59:50 UTC
Post by amelia rosner
Post by Louis Epstein
The New York Times and other trade and general media are
reporting the death on this day (December 23rd 2020) of
actress and singer Rebecca Luker (born April 17th 1961).
She had a rapidly advancing case of amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (quite different from Stephen Hawking's).
Her Wikipedia bio mentions she was married to a Danny
Burstein...as on the a.o community we are mainly an
intersection of email addresses I do not know if that
is the Danny Burstein who has long been a regular here.
But her death should not go un-noted,and it is clear
that she was and will be missed.
Different Danny Burstein. He is a well-known actor.
Hi, Amelia. Thanks for replying to Louis.

His earlier post didn't make it to my usenet feed
so I didn't answer him myself.

But yeah, Ms. Luker's husband (well, widow now)
is one of the other Danny Bursteins...

We've met a couple of times, including when we
saw him portray Tevye in Fiddler a few years ago.

Good person, good family, horrible shame.
***@panix.com
Lenona
2020-12-25 18:15:18 UTC
Post by danny burstein
But yeah, Ms. Luker's husband (well, widow now)
I believe the term is "widower."

For some reason, though, even the news media have been known to make that mistake.
Louis Epstein
2020-12-25 18:54:05 UTC
Post by Lenona
Post by danny burstein
But yeah, Ms. Luker's husband (well, widow now)
I believe the term is "widower."
For some reason, though, even the news media have been known to make that mistake.
To confuse things further becoming a widower OR a widow is called
being widowed even though grammatically one would expect a widower
to be the one who performs the widowing of someone else.

There is also the term "relict" but apparently that has a gendered
rather than collective derivation and is meant to apply to female
surviving spouses.

2020-12-25 18:49:47 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by amelia rosner
Post by Louis Epstein
The New York Times and other trade and general media are
reporting the death on this day (December 23rd 2020) of
actress and singer Rebecca Luker (born April 17th 1961).
She had a rapidly advancing case of amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (quite different from Stephen Hawking's).
Her Wikipedia bio mentions she was married to a Danny
Burstein...as on the a.o community we are mainly an
intersection of email addresses I do not know if that
is the Danny Burstein who has long been a regular here.
But her death should not go un-noted,and it is clear
that she was and will be missed.
Different Danny Burstein. He is a well-known actor.
Hi, Amelia. Thanks for replying to Louis.
His earlier post didn't make it to my usenet feed
so I didn't answer him myself.
Don't we post from the same server?...what's flaking?
Post by danny burstein
But yeah, Ms. Luker's husband (well, widow now)
is one of the other Danny Bursteins...
How many are there?
My name is shared by those from a California bookstore
founder to an Antipodean retailer of equestrian wear,
while Amelia has said she's the only Amelia Rosner there is.
Post by danny burstein
We've met a couple of times, including when we
saw him portray Tevye in Fiddler a few years ago.
Good person, good family, horrible shame.
A fix for ALS would be welcome indeed.

amelia rosner
Now that Amelia is a popular girls name, there are others. Not many, but I hear my first name when people call to their children on the street, or in the park.
Louis Epstein
2020-12-28 21:07:01 UTC
Post by danny burstein
We've met a couple of times, including when we
saw him portray Tevye in Fiddler a few years ago.
Now that Amelia is a popular girls name, there are others. Not many, but I hear
my first name when people call to their children on the street, or in the park.
So other Rosner parents have followed the trend?

2020-12-30 09:10:18 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The New York Times and other trade and general media are
reporting the death on this day (December 23rd 2020) of
actress and singer Rebecca Luker (born April 17th 1961).
She had a rapidly advancing case of amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (quite different from Stephen Hawking's).
...and I just remembered who else I'd remembered as
dying of high speed ALS here...Kim Shattuck last year.
What makes it take some so fast and others slowly?