George Herbert Walker III, 888, St Louis bizman/ambassador; prez cousin
2020-01-24 04:03:36 UTC
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2020/01/23/george-herbert-walker-iii-cousin-presidents-dies/u2QmQMbLdmaMRa4HqXjMXO/story.html

George Herbert Walker III, cousin of 2 presidents, dies

By Jim Salter
Associated Press,
January 23, 2020, 2 hours ago

ST. LOUIS — George Herbert Walker III, cousin of two presidents, a former US ambassador to Hungary, and a prominent St. Louis businessman and philanthropist, has died.

Mr. Walker, 88, died Saturday, according to the church handling his memorial service. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Mr. Walker grew up in Connecticut, was a graduate of Yale, and earned a law degree from Harvard. After serving two years in the Air Force, he moved to St. Louis in 1958 to work for the financial services company founded by the grandfather he shared with his first cousin, George Bush. Mr. Walker later served as president and CEO for Stifel, Nicolaus & Co.

In 1992, as Bush sought a second term as president, Mr. Walker tried his own hand at politics, seeking the Republican nomination for a suburban St. Louis congressional district. Both bids were unsuccessful.

Mr. Walker remained active in Republican politics, including successful presidential campaigns for another cousin, George W. Bush, in 2000 and 2004. George W. Bush appointed Mr. Walker as ambassador to Hungary in 2003. He served in that role until 2006.

Mr. Walker was active in several organizations, including Downtown St. Louis Inc., the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis, and the Siteman Cancer Center. He was a trustee of Webster University for 42 years and the business school was named for him after a $10 million donation in 2005.
Travoltron
2020-01-24 14:06:41 UTC
He was 888? I'd say he lived a full life!
What is it with the Bush family? They can't think of new names? They
have like three or four they keep recycling.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-01-24 17:33:46 UTC
Post by Travoltron
He was 888? I'd say he lived a full life!
What is it with the Bush family? They can't think of new names? They
have like three or four they keep recycling.
Much like the British royals. (Or any royals?)

Or like the Irish Travelers, who live mainly in the Southeastern U.S. I heard they often have the same first and last names, so they distinguish themselves with private nicknames. (I read that in the YA novel "See You Down the Road." Not deep literature by any means, but it's still WAY different from any teen novel you'll ever read - or that you might give to a teen. That, alone, is enough reason to read it.)

Btw, when Prince George was born, I'd kind of been hoping for a name like Christopher. Fat chance!

2020-03-24 00:19:41 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Travoltron
He was 888? I'd say he lived a full life!
What is it with the Bush family? They can't think of new names? They
have like three or four they keep recycling.
Much like the British royals. (Or any royals?)
Or like the Irish Travelers, who live mainly in the Southeastern U.S. I heard
they often have the same first and last names, so they distinguish themselves
with private nicknames.
I recall reading about two NY mafiosi with the same first and last names
who were also double cousins (their fathers were brothers and their mothers
were sisters) who sometimes avoided prosecution thanks to the confusion.

My mother's mother's father was a Knud whose father was Ole whose father
was Knud whose father was Ole...a family tradition there,alternating
Knud Olsen and Ole Knudsen and they didn't have fixed family names.
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Btw, when Prince George was born, I'd kind of been hoping for a name like
Christopher. Fat chance!
I am grateful that a tried and true name was chosen.
Too many royal cousins have gone for the zany instead of the proper.
Disappointing that the Cambridge children have only gotten three names
each though.

John M.
2020-01-24 23:40:31 UTC
I think it was George Herbert Walker II that lived to 88. ;-)
That Derek
2020-01-24 20:53:19 UTC
Post by Travoltron
They can't think of new names?
Reminds me of whom Archie Bunker referred to as the "airy Krishnas."

I pass 'em by congregated in the southwest corner o NYC's Union Square Park. They have several melodies ... but the lyrics are always the same:

"Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare,
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare ,,,"

(Second verse, same as the first!)