David Stern 1942-2020
2020-01-01 21:27:59 UTC
It appears former NBA Commissioner David Stern has become the first person of some
fame in the Americas to die in 2020.

Bryan Styble
2020-01-02 00:03:52 UTC
It's sad, but I suspect the late Stern's greatest legacy isn't, as the conventional wisdom has always had it (i.e., making the NBA more than a perennial also-ran to the NFL and MLB)...but rather his repeatedly kowtowing to the overwhelmingly thuggish NBA player community, always allowing the pro hoops asylum to be run by its unabashedly-racist, recklessly-philandering and galpal-beating inmates, whom almost to an ingrate man are dimwitted leftist brutes who embody the dictum that jocks, like children, should be seen and not heard.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
d***@gmail.com
2020-01-02 00:29:26 UTC

Well said. How can anyone disagree?
Bryan Styble
2020-01-02 07:03:43 UTC
Thanks much for the endorsement, Darrell.

What's perhaps saddest about it is the gargantuan missed opportunity: Stern could have routinely acted in Pete Rozelle- or A. Bartlett Giamotti-like fashion by using the enormous penalizing power of the Commissioner's office to foster the sorts of personal and professional values that good men like David Robinson always upheld--it's no coincidence that Robinson graduated from the uber-discipliine Naval Academy--rather than letting all this insidious white-demonizing hiphop culture infest the NBA.

So rather than happily enjoying their rare good fortune to earn a literal fortune playing a game they'd be anyway playing for free...these college-grad (yet almost-always-semiliterate) NBA players--who as the ever-cloying Laura Ingraham famously said oughta just shut up and dribble--instead just simple-mindedly absorb Kaepernick-style agitprop and then luxuriate in the positively preposterous mentality that they're essentially still slaving on a plantation under some Simon Legree figure oppressively called an "owner".

And while mere idiot NBA watchers like myself, for instance, listen to rock, pop, reggae, rock 'n roll, soul, classic country, punk, New Wave, roots rock, classical symphonies, jazz, swing, barbershop, doo-wop, show tunes, folk, zydeco, world music, standards, novelty records and yes, even hiphop and rap...these freakishly-tall jock jerks who (I'm repeatedly and reliably informed) when out in public wearing those big, dumb-looking James-popularized headphones seldom can be bothered for even a quickly-scribbled autograph for some disillusioned kid, you can safely bet are digesting pretty much just one steady diet of music, an astonishingly angry genre whose non-melodic rantings, however artfully-rhymed, pass as song lyrics.

Because with rap, you don't have to carry a tune--just a chip on your shoulder.

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2020-01-02 21:11:19 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
[...]
To be clear,the cultural deficiencies aren't all the Commissioner's fault.
I remember Dajuan Wagner,who scored 100 points in a high school game and
as a college freshman was the NIT MVP.
He was born to a high school romance between parents who wanted him to
finish college,but his coach,who thought he should enter the NBA draft,
took away his scholarship rather than let him go on toward his BA.

In the pros he was no longer a dominating center but an injury-prone
substitute guard who was quickly overshadowed by LeBron James at the
team that had signed him and gotten his B.A. and N.C.A.A. before his
N.B.A. he would have developed better.
p***@gmail.com
2020-01-03 02:04:12 UTC
Re BRYAN STYBLE's post with respect to the "culture" of the NBA, and his later comments regarding rap and hip-hop, please permit me to add a resounding ...

Hear, hear!! His words should be required reading for all of the apologists who attempt to legitimize these abhorrent segments of our society. Yes, I'm well aware that there are exceptions to the bad behavior that predominates, but they are largely few and far between.

Tangentially related (and appropriate to alt.obituaries), please note the following tweets in response to Wednesday's passing of rapper Lexii Alijai, by another such performer with whom Ms. Alijai had recently collaborated:

"jus got the worst f--kin news ever. my heart is BROKE. F--K,"

"i keep typing and backspacing you knew what you meant to me everyone knew what you meant you were so special bro i seen you right thru it all i seen u thug it out lex imma miss you so bad you was about to get everything you always talked about RIP MY BABY I LOVE YOU LEX 4L,"

How eloquent (please note the heavy dose of sarcasm), and all-too-common in this day and age.

*sigh*

-- Doug Peterson --