Bill Daily, 91, TV comedic actor (I Dream of Jeannie; BNewhart Show; Match Game; ALF)
2018-09-08 06:10:38 UTC
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bill-daily-dead-dies-major-healey-i-dream-of-jeannie-1202933026/

HOME >TV >Obituaries

September 7, 2018 7:55PM PT

Bill Daily, Major Healey in ‘I Dream of Jeannie,’ Dies at 91

By Pat Saperstein

Bill Daily, the affable TV actor who starred as Major Roger Healey in “I Dream of Jeannie” as well as on “The Bob Newhart Show,” died Sept. 4 in Santa Fe, N.M., his son J. Patrick Daily confirmed. He was 91.

“He loved every sunset, he loved every meal — he just decided to be happy about everything,” said his son.

The longtime Albuquerque resident was a staple on series of the 1960s through 1980s. He appeared as Bob Newhart’s pilot neighbor Howard Borden on “The Bob Newhart Show” and as psychiatrist Dr. Larry Dykstra on “ALF.”

On “I Dream of Jeannie,” he co-starred with Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden on all five seasons of the NBC sitcom as Captain and then Major Healey, the best friend and fellow astronaut to Hagman, who at one point steals Jeannie but later returns her to her master.

In 1980, Daily briefly had his own TV series, “Small & Frye,” but it lasted only three months. A longtime magic fan, he hosted several magic specials.

His other TV appearances included “Bewitched,” “Love Boat,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” and “Love, American Style,” as well as recurring roles in the 1980s on “Aloha Paradise” and “Starting from Scratch.”

He returned for several “I Dream of Jeannie” and “The Bob Newhart Show” reunion specials in the 1980s and ’90s. Daily also served as director of the New Mexico Film Commission in the late 1980s.

Born in Des Moines, Iowa, Daily was raised in Chicago and started out doing stand-up and announcing at a Chicago TV station.

He is survived by his son J. Patrick Daily, a key grip for motion pictures.
Michael OConnor
2018-09-08 08:08:46 UTC
I heard Bill Daily on a number of radio shows in the 1990's and 2000's and he was a great interview subject as he still had the sharp wit and had lots of great show business stories.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-08 15:42:11 UTC
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bill-daily-dead-dies-major-healey-i-dream-of-jeannie-1202933026/
September 7, 2018 7:55PM PT
Bill Daily, Major Healey in I Dream of Jeannie, Dies at 91
By Pat Saperstein
Bill Daily, the affable TV actor who starred as Major Roger Healey in
I Dream of Jeannie as well as on The Bob Newhart Show, died
Sept. 4 in Santa Fe, N.M., his son J. Patrick Daily confirmed. He was
91.
"He loved every sunset, he loved every meal — he just decided to be
happy about everything," said his son.
The longtime Albuquerque resident was a staple on series of the 1960s
through 1980s. He appeared as Bob Newhart's pilot neighbor Howard
Borden on The Bob Newhart Show and as psychiatrist Dr. Larry
Dykstra on ALF.
Howard Borden was a navigator, not a pilot.
A Friend
2018-09-08 21:05:49 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bill-daily-dead-dies-major-healey-i-dream-o
f-jeannie-1202933026/
September 7, 2018 7:55PM PT
Bill Daily, Major Healey in I Dream of Jeannie, Dies at 91
By Pat Saperstein
Bill Daily, the affable TV actor who starred as Major Roger Healey in
I Dream of Jeannie as well as on The Bob Newhart Show, died
Sept. 4 in Santa Fe, N.M., his son J. Patrick Daily confirmed. He was
91.
"He loved every sunset, he loved every meal — he just decided to be
happy about everything," said his son.
The longtime Albuquerque resident was a staple on series of the 1960s
through 1980s. He appeared as Bob Newhart's pilot neighbor Howard
Borden on The Bob Newhart Show and as psychiatrist Dr. Larry
Dykstra on ALF.
Howard Borden was a navigator, not a pilot.
Yes. BTW the joke was that navigators hadn't been part of airliner
crews since about 1960 when, thanks to technology, the job got so
simple that navigation was folded into the pilot's responsibilities.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-08 22:43:42 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Right. Featherbedding in union contracts will still a huge deal in the
1970s.

My father was a flight radio operator in the Army Air Corps, part of a
bomber crew. During WWII, that was a real job. Airline contracts post
war were based on jobs in WWII-era flight cockpits. Also, airline unions
successfully lobbied Congress to be included in the Railway Labor Act,
which guaranteed old-fashioned AFofL-style bargaining on a
craft-by-craft basis and not comprehensive union contract for all jobs
like the new-style CIO, especially in automotive manufacturing.

This prohibited strikes and required presidential emergency boards.

Other jobs in a WWII-era flight deck were the flight engineer. To this
day, I still have no idea what the flight engineer was expected to
repair during the flight.

FRO and flight engineer were largely done away with during the 1950s.
One of the pilots was required to have special training to make up for
the crew reduction. But the navigator hung on for some time.

I don't think that all-pilot crews became common on big passenger planes
until the mid 1970s.
Louis Epstein
2018-09-10 06:02:25 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by A Friend
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I understand that Daily's Bob Newhart Show character was eventually
promoted to co-pilot.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Where a third cockpit crewman has survived it has generally been
"flight engineer",not "navigator" (essentially every jet that has
entered service since the mid-1970s has been certified for a two-man
crew...third seats may be there for deadheading or training purposes but
not someone with operational responsibilities).

Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-10 07:02:02 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by A Friend
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
If they were being realistic about airline labor agreements, then that
would have been a negotiated end to featherbedding. He'd have been
required to become a pilot to keep flying. If he didn't become a pilot,
he'd have been forced to retire. Maybe that was around the time that
all-pilot flight decks become common.
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I've got a big book on the history of transportation labor agreements
but haven't looked at it in a while. Perhaps you're correct about which
job survived longer. In any event, there really were people with jobs
that had nearly no duties, thanks to these strong contracts.

I still want to know what the flight engineer did in the event of a
mid-air breakdown, what he could possibly repair mid flight.

They probably should have made Howard a fireman... on a diesel
locomotive, the ultimate featherbedded job. That lasted into the 1980s.
David Carson
2018-09-10 13:13:53 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 07:02:02 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
They probably should have made Howard a fireman... on a diesel
locomotive, the ultimate featherbedded job. That lasted into the 1980s.
We still have the designated hitter to this day, and it doesn't look to be
going away any time soon.
m***@gmail.com
2018-09-10 16:13:55 UTC
Post by David Carson
We still have the designated hitter to this day, and it doesn't look to be
going away any time soon.
Unfortunately.

Michael OConnor
2018-09-08 16:34:00 UTC
Bill Daily was also on hand for the worst answer in Match Game history:

m***@gmail.com
2018-09-08 19:17:04 UTC
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bill-daily-dead-dies-major-healey-i-dream-of-jeannie-1202933026/
HOME >TV >Obituaries
September 7, 2018 7:55PM PT
Bill Daily, Major Healey in ‘I Dream of Jeannie,’ Dies at 91
As Howard on "The Bob Newhart Show", he was the first character on TV that I heard say "Ooooo K" in reaction to someone saying something that was crazy or didn't make sense.