Al Carmichael, 90, NFL (1st Bronco to score TD); stuntman (KDouglas, Spartacus)
2019-09-09 04:22:48 UTC
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/09/08/al-carmichael-former-broncos-player-dies/

Sports Denver Broncos

Al Carmichael, former Broncos player who scored 1st touchdown in team history, has died at 90

The Denver Post | ***@denverpost.com

PUBLISHED: September 8, 2019 at 5:59 pm |
UPDATED: September 8, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Al Carmichael, who scored the first touchdown in Denver Broncos and American Football League history, died Saturday in Palm Desert, Calif., according to the team. He was 90.

On Sept. 9, 1960, halfback Carmichael caught a 59-yard pass from quarterback Frank Tripucka for the score in a 13-10 victory against the Boston Patriots at Nickerson Field on the Boston University campus.

“I didn’t realize it was the first score until late in the season,” he told The Denver Post in 2014. “We were the only team to play on Friday night.”

Carmichael played two seasons in Denver after spending six years with the Green Bay Packers, for whom he set the NFL record for longest kick return of 106 yards in 1956. He is a member of the Packers’ Hall of Fame.

Carmichael rushed for 947 yards (4.3 per carry) and four touchdowns during his NFL and AFL career and had 112 receptions for 1,633 yards and eight touchdowns.

He also appeared in 50 movies and TV series, including serving as a stunt double for Kirk Douglas in “Spartacus” and Burt Lancaster in “Elmer Gantry.”
Michael OConnor
2019-09-09 04:41:30 UTC
He also appeared in 50 movies and TV series, including serving as a stunt double for Kirk Douglas in “Spartacus”
He was, for a few frames here and there, Spartacus.
That Derek
2019-09-09 13:51:12 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
He was, for a few frames here and there, Spartacus.
I thought Sen. Cory Booker here in NJ was "Spartacus"!