Paul Barrere, 71, Little Feat guitarist, songwriter and singer
Bermuda999
2019-10-27 02:36:12 UTC
"It is with great sorrow that Little Feat must announce the passing of our brother guitarist, Paul Barrere, this morning at UCLA Hospital. We ask for your kindest thoughts and best wishes to go out especially to his widow Pam and children Gabriel, Genevieve, and Gillian, and to all the fans who were his extended family.

Paul auditioned for Little Feat as a bassist when it was first being put together—in his words, “as a bassist I make an excellent guitarist”—and three years later joined the band in his proper role on guitar. Forty-seven years later, he was forced to miss the current tour, which will end tomorrow, due to side effects from his ongoing treatment for liver disease.

He promised to follow his doctor’s orders, get back in shape, and rock on the beach at the band’s annual gathering in Jamaica in January 2020. “Until then,” he wrote, “keep your sailin’ shoes close by…if I have my way, you’re going to need them!”

As the song he sang so many times put it, he was always “Willin’,” but it was not meant to be. Paul, sail on to the next place in your journey with our abiding love for a life always dedicated to the muse and the music. We are grateful for the time we have shared.

Yours in music,

Little Feat: Bill Payne, Sam Clayton, Fred Tackett, Kenny Gradney, and Gabe Ford."
Bermuda999
2019-10-27 02:38:18 UTC
"Barrere contracted Hepatitis C in 1994, but has managed to keep it under control.[5] In 2015, he was diagnosed with liver cancer." (Wiki)
That Derek
2019-10-27 17:15:32 UTC
Two 1960s sitcom episodes feature Little Feat:

1) a "Gomer Pyle, USMC" stanza where Gomer is set up as a date for the colonel's daughter who ends up dragging Gomer to a dance club replete with go-go dancers, hippies, and Lowell George & Co. portraying a generic psychedelic house band; and

2) the "F Troop" offering where Corporal Agarn (the still off-topic Larry Storch) becomes the manager for a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs which concludes with the other F Troopers portraying a rival band who perform an incredibly anachronistic version of "Mr. Tambourine Man"." Hey, why not?, Fort Courage flew a 50-starred US flag even though the programme was set during the aftermath of the US Civil War.

Anyway, was Paul Barrere in the configuration of Little Feat who performed in these episodes?
MJ Emigh
2019-10-27 21:43:51 UTC
Anyway, was Paul Barrere in the configuration of Little Feat who performed in these episodes?
Probably. He joined in '72. I don't know the dates of the shows, though.
MJ Emigh
2019-10-27 21:52:06 UTC
a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs
I remember The Bedbugs, but I thought they found their way to Gilligan' Island. Did that "band" also use that name, or has my memory failed me yet again?
RH Draney
2019-10-27 22:34:24 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs
I remember The Bedbugs, but I thought they found their way to Gilligan' Island. Did that "band" also use that name, or has my memory failed me yet again?
The group that visited Gilligan's Island were the Mosquitoes (Bingo,
Bango, Bongo and Irving)....r
A Friend
2019-10-28 01:49:10 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs
I remember The Bedbugs, but I thought they found their way to
Gilligan' Island. Did that "band" also use that name, or has my
memory failed me yet again?
(This was supposed to post this afternoon, but it didn't go. Sorry.)

The Gilligan's Island band was the Mosquitoes (Bingo, Bango, Bongo and
Irving). They were played by the Wellingtons (a folk trio) and drummer
Les Brown Jr., son of the bandleader.

The Wellingtons sang the Gilligan's Island "and the rest" theme for the
first season. They wound up doing a lot of work for Disney, including
singing the theme for "The Wonderful World of Color." More at the
link.

https://gilligan.fandom.com/wiki/The_Wellingtons
RH Draney
2019-10-28 08:14:22 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs
I remember The Bedbugs, but I thought they found their way to
Gilligan' Island. Did that "band" also use that name, or has my
memory failed me yet again?
(This was supposed to post this afternoon, but it didn't go. Sorry.)
The Gilligan's Island band was the Mosquitoes (Bingo, Bango, Bongo and
Irving). They were played by the Wellingtons (a folk trio) and drummer
Les Brown Jr., son of the bandleader.
The Wellingtons sang the Gilligan's Island "and the rest" theme for the
first season. They wound up doing a lot of work for Disney, including
singing the theme for "The Wonderful World of Color." More at the
link.
https://gilligan.fandom.com/wiki/The_Wellingtons
Les Brown Jr (and his widdle bandie-wandie of renown?) is or was a
presenter on The Music Of Your Life, an online and syndicated station
featuring music from the 1940s up to (in a few extreme cases) the early
1970s...other announcers at the time I was listening to it were Peter
"Hollywood Squares" Marshall, Wink Martindale, Gary Owens, and Pat
Boone....r

Bermuda999
2019-10-28 00:14:50 UTC
1) a "Gomer Pyle, USMC" stanza where Gomer is set up as a date for the colonel's daughter who ends up dragging Gomer to a dance club replete with go-go dancers, hippies, and Lowell George & Co. portraying a generic psychedelic house band; and
2) the "F Troop" offering where Corporal Agarn (the still off-topic Larry Storch) becomes the manager for a British Beatles knock-off band, The Bedbugs which concludes with the other F Troopers portraying a rival band who perform an incredibly anachronistic version of "Mr. Tambourine Man"." Hey, why not?, Fort Courage flew a 50-starred US flag even though the programme was set during the aftermath of the US Civil War.
Anyway, was Paul Barrere in the configuration of Little Feat who performed in these episodes?
Little Feat did not exist at the time of either of those episodes (both from 1967) Little Feat did not form until 1969.

The group in both of those episodes is Lowell George's previous band, The Factory. The only other future Little Feat member to play at any time in The Factory was drummer Richie Hayward.

After these episodes, Lowell George disbanded The Factory and joined Frank Zappa's Mother of Invention.

Despite going to high school with Lowell George, Paul Barrere did not join Little Feat until 1972.

George, Barrere and Hayward are all three on-topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=L2jgIQBzQZk

Bermuda999
2019-10-28 00:18:12 UTC
[...]

After these episodes, Lowell George disbanded The Factory and joined Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention.

http://youtu.be/YsSl7xOK2Qs
That Derek
2019-10-28 03:18:25 UTC
Thanks everybody, or all the clarifications.