(Not quite) 500th anniversary of Diet of Worms
Add Reply
J.D. Baldwin
2021-04-18 14:46:49 UTC
On April 18, 1521, Martin Luther stood before the Diet of Worms and
uttered one of the ballsiest defiances of authority ever: "Hier Stehe
Ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir! Amen." ("Here I stand.
I can do no other. God help me. Amen.")

Of course, by the Gregorian calendar, not then in effect in Germany,
that date would have been April 28th, so if you're a stickler for that
sort of thing, raise a glass to Herr Doktor Luther in ten days. But
it feels worthy of note now.
2021-04-20 01:11:08 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
On April 18, 1521, Martin Luther stood before the Diet of Worms and
uttered one of the ballsiest defiances of authority ever: "Hier Stehe
Ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir! Amen." ("Here I stand.
I can do no other. God help me. Amen.")
So,he didn't eat the worms?
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Of course, by the Gregorian calendar, not then in effect in Germany,
that date would have been April 28th, so if you're a stickler for that
sort of thing, raise a glass to Herr Doktor Luther in ten days. But
it feels worthy of note now.
I'm observing the anniversary by confronting a demand for
my resignation/removal from my local Democratic committee
after 34 years over my opposition to a platform stand that
is dear to a couple of recent colleagues but anathema to me.