Latest casualty of PC police, Palmetto Cheese (with more twists & turns than any soap opera)
Add Reply
Jason
2020-09-23 11:31:06 UTC
https://www.postandcourier.com/georgetown/amid-calls-for-boycott-costco-removes-palmetto-cheese-from-120-of-its-stores/article_f66d5632-f9d2-11ea-b40a-3780387196dc.html

MYRTLE BEACH — With calls for a boycott in recent weeks due to the owner’s public Facebook post that likened Black Lives Matter to a “terror organization,” the popular pimento cheese brand, Palmetto Cheese, will no longer be carried at 120 Costco Wholesale locations nationwide.

Owner Brian Henry, who is also the mayor of the Town of Pawleys Island, confirmed that his product was in the process of being taken off the shelves.

“Costco rotates items in and out during the course of the year. They will occasionally add and drop products as a matter of normal business,” Henry told The Post and Courier. “We remain optimistic that Palmetto Cheese will be back on the shelves in the not too distant future.”

A sign in front of the remaining Palmetto Cheese products at the Myrtle Beach Costco location seemingly indicated otherwise:

“The * (asterisk) on this sign means that these 2 items are discontinued and will not be re-ordered by Costco. Over 120 Costco’s throughout the US are no longer carrying this item.”

Costco’s corporate headquarters declined to confirm whether the removal was temporary or permanent. A search of costco.com returned no results for “Palmetto Cheese.”

GEORGETOWN TIMES
Pawleys mayor doesn’t resign, says boycotting Palmetto Cheese will hurt workers

Entangled in multiple calls for him to resign from his seat as mayor in Pawleys Island, Henry has been forced to mix his two worlds, as the community has taken to social media to call for a boycott of the popular pimento cheese brand — one that sold 15.2 million containers in 2019, while being found in 4,100 stores across the U.S.

In a Sept. 3 press conference, Henry read from a prepared statement for a handful of media members, addressing his pointed comments toward Black Lives Matter, but also indicating that the potential boycott would only hurt his employees.

“Please consider the hundreds of South Carolinians’ jobs that depend on its success,” he said.

The focus on Palmetto Cheese also brought to the forefront the woman’s face used on the brand’s packaging — Vertrella Brown, an African American who worked for Henry.

He spent part of his Sept. 3 press conference defending himself and his wife, Sassy, after some had claimed they had stolen the pimento cheese recipe from Brown.

“Unfortunately, there have been comments on social media and news outlets falsely suggesting that Vertrella Brown created the recipe for Palmetto Cheese,” Henry said. “However, that is simply not true. The recipe for Palmetto Cheese is, and always has been, Sassy Henry’s recipe. And that is the same recipe on grocery shelves today.”

Henry also committed to creating a foundation in Brown’s name — whom he called a “dear friend” — focused on aiding race relations in the community, something that was called into question during a Sept. 14 protest by the NAACP.

“First, I suggest that before he names a scholarship after the late, great Ms. Brown, that he go talk to the family,” said Marilyn Hemingway, a member of the NAACP.

According to Henry, a re-branding effort is underway, looking to “be more sensitive to cultural diversity.”
Kenny McCormack
2020-09-23 11:52:42 UTC
Post by Jason
https://www.postandcourier.com/georgetown/amid-calls-for-boycott-costco-removes-palmetto-cheese-from-120-of-its-stores/article_f66d5632-f9d2-11ea-b40a-3780387196dc.html
MYRTLE BEACH With calls for a boycott in recent weeks due to the owners
public Facebook post that likened Black Lives Matter to a terror
organization, the popular pimento cheese brand, Palmetto Cheese, will no
longer be carried at 120 Costco Wholesale locations nationwide.
This is a correct decision. Well done.

BTW, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be another one
of those "Oh that product is offensive because blah, blah, blah" things
(e.g., Land o' Lakes butter, Aunt Jemimah (sp?) syrup, etc). Banning those
products is just plain stupid, for a variety of reasons (and I'm a
liberal!), but banning a product because the company owner (and no doubt
the company as a whole) is a Trumper (one can assume that from the text
above) is perfectly correct. Trumpers *are* scum - there's just no way around
that - and it is time sensible people stopped beating around the bush on
that subject. We've been pussy-footing around for almost 4 years now, and
look at what where it is has gotten us.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/RoyDeLoon
Scott Brady
Go fuck yourself.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-09-23 17:00:01 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Jason
https://www.postandcourier.com/georgetown/amid-calls-for-boycott-costco-removes-palmetto-cheese-from-120-of-its-stores/article_f66d5632-f9d2-11ea-b40a-3780387196dc.html
MYRTLE BEACH With calls for a boycott in recent weeks due to the owners
public Facebook post that likened Black Lives Matter to a terror
organization, the popular pimento cheese brand, Palmetto Cheese, will no
longer be carried at 120 Costco Wholesale locations nationwide.
This is a correct decision. Well done.
BTW, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be another one
of those "Oh that product is offensive because blah, blah, blah" things
(e.g., Land o' Lakes butter, Aunt Jemimah (sp?) syrup, etc). Banning those
products is just plain stupid, for a variety of reasons (and I'm a
liberal!),
You don't know what a liberal is. Sorry, Kenny. Liberal? No, Kenny, you
support the anti-liberals. Suppression of speech would be the opposite
of liberalism. Costco has every right to drop this guy's products but
let's not pretend Costco supports his speech rights.

Repeating myself for the brainless: Liberalism DOES NOT ban the speech
of others.
Post by Kenny McCormack
but banning a product because the company owner (and no doubt
the company as a whole) is a Trumper (one can assume that from the text
above) is perfectly correct. Trumpers *are* scum - there's just no way around
that - and it is time sensible people stopped beating around the bush on
that subject. We've been pussy-footing around for almost 4 years now, and
look at what where it is has gotten us.
Reading the article, Trump wasn't mentioned at all. You got it wrong.

I would never vote for Trump because, well, he's probably the worst person
to be president in any era, but I would call most of the leadership
of the Black Lives Matters movement hypocrites. Given that the BLM
movement doesn't ever protest a white victim of police brutality shot
under seemingly questionable circumstances (of which there are a hell of
a lot more than black victims), they're not truly interested in reform
of police tactics, are they.

If you were a business owner (not you personally Kenny; I can't imagine
that) and a protest organized by BLM shut down nearly all commerce in
your town for weeks at a time, then you might view them as a terror
organization. Yes, I realize that the businessman speaks from his own
perspective. Yeah, it's over the top rhetoric, but the BLM movement can
indeed be hideous. The protests consist of little more than shouting one
or two slogans. It's free speech but it's not public debate.

Gee, Kenny, you use over-the-top rhetoric to make a point. Funny how no
one shuts you down. That makes you a bit of a hypocrite.

Just shouting slogans as loudly as possible supposedly honoring black
victims doesn't initiate the debate on changing abhorent public policy.