Priscilla McMillan, Who Knew Both Kennedy and Oswald, Dies at 92
Matthew Kruk
2021-07-18 06:24:58 UTC
A Cold War scholar, she met Lee Harvey Oswald four years before President John
F. Kennedy's assassination and later wrote "Marina and Lee," a book about him
and his Russian wife.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/books/priscilla-mcmillan-dead.html
Kenny McCormack
2021-07-18 19:36:14 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
A Cold War scholar, she met Lee Harvey Oswald four years before
President John F. Kennedy's assassination and later wrote "Marina and
Lee," a book about him and his Russian wife.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/books/priscilla-mcmillan-dead.html
$ lynx -accept_all_cookies https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/books/priscilla-mcmillan-dead.html

Or, to quote another poster, what is "JavaScript" ?
--
If you ask a Trumper who is to blame for the debacle of Jan 6, they will almost certainly say
something about Antifa/BLM/something/whatever. This shows just how screwed up they are; they can't
would probably have succeeded, so he (Eugene) is clearly to blame for the failure.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-07-18 21:36:39 UTC
I don't know anything about the late McMillan except "Marina and Lee", which is a fine work of nonfiction. It provides many details of the Oswalds' marriage which the other hundred-odd 11/22/1963 books either omit, downplay or of which the authors were apparently ignorant.

I'm embarrassed at how much time and effort of my 66 years thus far I've devoted to exploring this endlessly fascinating case which is said to be the most investigated crime in world history. So taken with this addictive story so much that for a time circa 1978, I actually considered abandoning Zimmerman Blues magazine and instead devote my journalistic efforts to becoming what might be termed an Oswaldologist.

But after my feeble mind had absorbed about two dozen of the Dallas '63 tomes, I gave up the thought and went back to focusing on talk radio as well as that recording artist with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice. (It WASN'T because there is no evidence that the famous-for-only-two-days-of-his-life Oswald could not sing; all kinds of people say the same thing about Sir Zimmerman, after all!). Rather, it was because I was put off at how many dylangent, er, DILIGENT Dallas '63 researchers don't respect accepted rules of evidence, etc.

Still, every late November during my commercial newstalk call-in hosting radio career around the Lower 48 during 1989-2013, I would devote an entire broadcast to this down-the-rabbit-hole subject, defending my notwithstanding-all-the-theories* reluctant conviction that not only did Oswald indeed act alone, but also managed to avoid telling anyone about it...a position that each November proved lonely indeed, as commercial newstalk radio callers too often seem willing to believe the most preposterous things.

* Including, of course, that author who claimed JFK's limo driver turned around from the wheel and blasted Kennedy (and inadvertently Connally too) with a handgun, somehow without any witness in Dealey Plaza noticing it, including Abe Zapruder's 8mm camera.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-07-18 23:03:37 UTC
Oh, and while I'm on these twin topics, one murderous and the other musical, I should point out that that overlong track on "Rough & Rowdy Ways" entitled "Murder Most Foul" could REALLY benefit by having a drummer and bassist undergird the way-too-ponderous vocal. And if producer of that 2020 session, I would have seriously lobbied that the tempo be upped a might as well.

It's NOT that this endlessly-versitile recording artist cannot pull off slow, ponderous tunes; after all, the released take (along with a couple other takes that have recently surfaced among collectors) of "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands", while rather overrated critically--its reputation surely enhanced not by its melody or phrasing virtues as much as the bold decision to make it the sole tune on Side 4 of rock's first* double-album--proves he can execute slow songs as well as the faster-paced ones most people think of when they think of his work.

Of course, any song (not merely "Murder Most Foul") which packs as much detail into a narrative concerning the most investigated crime in history is NEVER going to end up a three-minute-thus-fit-for-Top-40-radio tune. And his narrative DOES remain scrupulously factual--even nailing the precise minute at Love Field that LJB was sworn in by the hastily-shanghaied Judge Sarah T. Hughes!--something refreshing for this often-factually-loose** (if Lit Nobel-winning!) songwriter.

STYBLE/Florida
_____________________________________
* At least that is often alleged; I've seen a rock critic or two contend that "Blonde on Blonde" was in fact the second or third double-disc of the rock era.
** I mean: William ZANZINGER rather than the correct Zantzinger In "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll"; John Wesley HARDING instead of Hardin in that wonderful title track***; and George Jackson and the quadruple****-murderer Rubin Carter in "Hurricane", both falsely portrayed as couldn't-get-a-fair-shake black guys, rather than the lethal thugs they in fact were.
*** Though painfully brief, as he penned this terrific tale of the outlaw Old West originally with more than a DOZEN verses, which would have made it of "Desolation Row" length...yet then inexcusably truncated it for recording at the CBS Records studio on Music Row in Nashville to that annoyingly-limiting three-verse format to which the rest of the record [thankfully excepting "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"] also unfortunately sticks.
**** I realize that the Friday 6/17/1966 robbery at the Paterson NJ Lafayette Grill tavern is universally termed (in his lyrics as well) a "triple-murder", but one of those victims who initially survived his wounds also ended up dying about a decade later due to complications from his surgeries.
Topic Cop
2021-07-18 20:58:28 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
A Cold War scholar, she met Lee Harvey Oswald four years before President John
F. Kennedy's assassination and later wrote "Marina and Lee," a book about him
and his Russian wife.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/books/priscilla-mcmillan-dead.html
92 year olds just don't drop dead

She knew something!