Ken Berry, 85, F-Troop/Mama's Family/Carol Burnett/Mayberry R.F.D. actor
Add Reply
p***@gmail.com
2018-12-03 22:11:02 UTC
also Dr. Kildare/The Ken Berry 'Wow' Show/Once Upon A Mattress

"...he went on to join the army where he served under pre-Star Trek Sergeant Leonard Nimoy"

'F-Troop,' 'Mama's Family' actor Ken Berry dead at 85
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS DEC. 2, 2018
By Karen Butler

Ken Berry, who is best known for his roles in the classic TV shows Mama’s Family and F-Troop, died Saturday. He was 85.

Berry’s ex-wife Jackie Joseph-Lawrence announced the news of his death on Facebook saying, “With very deep sorrow, I must inform friends of Ken Berry that he died a short time ago.” No further details about his death were given.

Born in Illinois November 3, 1933, Berry showed an interest in singing and dancing at a young age. When he was 15 years old, he toured with a tap dancing ensemble. After high school, he went on to join the army where he served under pre-Star Trek Sergeant Leonard Nimoy. He would continue to perform in talent contests and a competition to appear on Ed Sullivan’s Toast of the Town where he placed third and appeared on television.

Berry is known for role as Vinton in classic TV shows such as Vicki Lawrence’s Mama’s Family. He also starred as Sam Jones in The Andy Griffith Show spinoff Mayberry R.F.D. But it was his role as Captain Parmenter in ABC’s F Troop that was his claim to fame. The show only aired two seasons from 1965-1967.

He was a member of The Billy Barnes Review performance ensemble and was part of Lucille Ball’s talent development program at Desilu. He was also a guest star on The Lucy Show. Hos other credits include. The Bob Newhart Show, The Julie Andrews Hour, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, The Donny & Marie Show, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, CHiPs,The Golden Girls, and several Mitzi Gaynor specials. On the big screen, he starred in Disney pics Herbie Rides Again and The Cat From Outer Space.
Dug
m***@gmail.com
2018-12-04 01:23:38 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
[...]
"The Andy Griffith Show" is one of my favorite shows of all time, but it should have ended when Don Knotts left...it was sometimes good after Knotts' departure, but not as good as when he was in the cast.

"Mayberry RFD" was a mistake.
Bermuda999
2018-12-04 11:12:16 UTC
Post by Dug
I remember all 3 of his series. but I would guess most people know him from Mama's Family. F-Troop isn't rerun that much. Also it was on in the 60s and Mama's Family was in the 80s. As for Mayberry RFD, I always thought they should have disbanded the Mayberry group when Andy left. although I liked perky Arlene Golonka who played Ken Berry's girlfriend. I think Ken should get a bit more acclaim for his dancing. He was very good and was a natural to guest in all those variety shows back then.
He was a gifted song and dance man born 20 or 30 years too late. As an actor, he was the definition of innocuous leaning toward bland. Why they thought he could take over the dying franchise from Andy Griffith is quite a mystery. Back when Don Knotts was on the show, Berry would not have made a list of top 10 interesting characters in Mayberry

He was busy with guest starring roles all over the place. I wonder if he could ever have spread his wings to play a bad guy or a murderer (a real dark role, not a "Murder, She Wrote" suspect). It would perhaps have been interesting to see. Once again though, he was never hurting for work.
A Friend
2018-12-04 12:41:39 UTC
Post by Bermuda999
He was a gifted song and dance man born 20 or 30 years too late. As an actor,
he was the definition of innocuous leaning toward bland. Why they thought he
could take over the dying franchise from Andy Griffith is quite a mystery.
No, it's not. The series was doing just fine. MAYBERRY R.F.D. had
come in 4th in the Nielsens for the 1968-69 and 1969-70 seasons, with
full-season ratings of 25.4 and 24.4 respectively. In 1970-71 it
suddenly fell to 15th but still boasted a 22.3. (That was when the
show was on against the debut season of Monday Night Football on ABC.)
CBS canceled MAYBERRY R.F.D. as part of its demographics-related "rural
purge" going into 1971-72.
Bermuda999
2018-12-05 00:32:36 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Bermuda999
He was a gifted song and dance man born 20 or 30 years too late. As an actor,
he was the definition of innocuous leaning toward bland. Why they thought he
could take over the dying franchise from Andy Griffith is quite a mystery.
No, it's not. The series was doing just fine. MAYBERRY R.F.D. had
come in 4th in the Nielsens for the 1968-69 and 1969-70 seasons, with
full-season ratings of 25.4 and 24.4 respectively. In 1970-71 it
suddenly fell to 15th but still boasted a 22.3. (That was when the
show was on against the debut season of Monday Night Football on ABC.)
CBS canceled MAYBERRY R.F.D. as part of its demographics-related "rural
purge" going into 1971-72.
The "dying" part referred to show quality, not ratings. The show suffered through some pretty bad shows after Knotts left, and most of the 90 color episodes are not worth watching.

Ken Berry was no Andy Griffith and was not right for the part. His casting in Mayberry R.F.D. left a vapid void in the center of the show. Mayberry R.F.D. is unwatchable. Give it a try sometime. I did this past summer. Once again, Berry would not have made a list of top 10 interesting characters in Mayberry
A Friend
2018-12-05 03:57:32 UTC
Post by Bermuda999
Post by A Friend
Post by Bermuda999
He was a gifted song and dance man born 20 or 30 years too late. As an actor,
he was the definition of innocuous leaning toward bland. Why they thought he
could take over the dying franchise from Andy Griffith is quite a mystery.
No, it's not. The series was doing just fine. MAYBERRY R.F.D. had
come in 4th in the Nielsens for the 1968-69 and 1969-70 seasons, with
full-season ratings of 25.4 and 24.4 respectively. In 1970-71 it
suddenly fell to 15th but still boasted a 22.3. (That was when the
show was on against the debut season of Monday Night Football on ABC.)
CBS canceled MAYBERRY R.F.D. as part of its demographics-related "rural
purge" going into 1971-72.
The "dying" part referred to show quality, not ratings.
Oh, okay. I thought we might be talking about numbers. I can't argue
whether the show was any good or not; I don't think I've ever seen it.
Larc
2018-12-05 13:46:27 UTC
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 16:32:36 -0800 (PST), Bermuda999 <***@aol.com> wrote:

| The "dying" part referred to show quality, not ratings. The show suffered through some pretty bad shows after Knotts left, and most of the 90 color episodes are not worth watching.
|
| Ken Berry was no Andy Griffith and was not right for the part. His casting in Mayberry R.F.D. left a vapid void in the center of the show. Mayberry R.F.D. is unwatchable. Give it a try sometime. I did this past summer. Once again, Berry would not have made a list of top 10 interesting characters in Mayberry

I would have taken Ken Berry any day over one-boring-shtick Jack Burns who was
inflicted into the Barney Fife position. That casting came close to rating as
criminal.

Larc
RHDraney
2018-12-05 14:18:41 UTC
Post by Larc
| The "dying" part referred to show quality, not ratings. The show suffered through some pretty bad shows after Knotts left, and most of the 90 color episodes are not worth watching.
|
| Ken Berry was no Andy Griffith and was not right for the part. His casting in Mayberry R.F.D. left a vapid void in the center of the show. Mayberry R.F.D. is unwatchable. Give it a try sometime. I did this past summer. Once again, Berry would not have made a list of top 10 interesting characters in Mayberry
I would have taken Ken Berry any day over one-boring-shtick Jack Burns who was
inflicted into the Barney Fife position. That casting came close to rating as
criminal.
After a number of years I finally came to terms with Goober replacing
his cousin, but I never did care much for Howard Sprague, and could take
or leave Emmett...Helen Crump was a huge trade down from Ellie Walker....r
That Derek
2018-12-05 01:08:18 UTC
Here's a YouTube link to a mid-1970s TV ad for Kinney Shoes where one can see Ken Berry hoofing his way through a "Music Man"/"Trouble in River City" knock-off.

That Derek
2018-12-05 14:28:46 UTC
Re: Jack Burns

Yeah, huh? Yeah, huh? Yeah, huh? ...