Upcoming: 200th death anniversary of...
Add Reply
Lenona
2021-04-30 01:07:39 UTC
Napoleon. On May 5th.

https://blog.bridgemanimages.com/blog/200-years-since-the-death-of-napoleon

https://www.theculturalexperience.com/tours/napoleons-death-in-exile-battlefield-tour/
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-05-01 02:35:54 UTC
Glad to see your alert, Lenona.; I thought I was the only American who cared about this!

Perhaps popular media will use the occasion to dispel the persistent myth that he was a real short guy--he would have been an unlikely basketball player for sure, but he also wasn't way down at Brenda Lee or Danny Devito* stature**, so-called Napoleon Complex notwithstanding.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_______________________________________
* Whose movie-star character played the not-so-diminutive dictator in a movie-within-a-movie in "Get Shorty", that wonderful John Travolta/Gene Hackman/Dennis Farina/Rene Russo thriller satire of Hollywood.
** I believe a posthumous measure of the first of history's three Napoleans*** somewhere along the line during the transportation of his corpse from St. Helena Island to Paris determined him to have been about 5'6""; the myth is said to derive from the fact that he liked to surround himself with abnormally tall guards.
*** While Napoleon III ended up with quite a career in the middle of the 19th Century, Napoleon II was a young royal who never got to be emperor of nuttin'.
Lenona
2021-05-01 14:20:57 UTC
And remember this commercial?

Can't believe there aren't more comments...
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-05-01 15:02:08 UTC
Anyone doubting that any Napoleonic hoopla on Wednesday, May 5th is warranted should consider: it's often said that the three most-written-about figures in history are Christ, Napoleon and Lincoln.
.
STYBLE/Florida
danny burstein
2021-05-01 15:13:01 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Anyone doubting that any Napoleonic hoopla on Wednesday, May 5th is warranted should consider: it's often said that the three most-written-about figures in history are Christ, Napoleon and Lincoln.
That's so, so, "Western" centric a viewpoint.

Kind of like all the people who believe the Empire State
Building, or maybe Buckingham Palace, are the world's
most famous structures.

How many people are there in India? Or China?
***@panix.com
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-05-01 15:35:45 UTC
Well; my Napoleon essay linked below--inspired by something that happened on Michael Medved's fine erstwhile-nationally-syndicated commercial newstalk radio broadcast--didn't get many responses either, Lenona., but I'm glad I penned it.

As to the alleged Western bias (or Orient dismissiveness) of the Christ/Napoleon/Lincoln ranking: the impacts those three had have proved dominant in Western civilization, which has driven the vast majority of world history since the First Millennium BC, the remarkable ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations on through the Middle Ages notwithstanding.

STYBLE/Florida
http://radioactiveseattle.blogspot.com/2009/03/okay-lets-see-if-we-can-get-this-online.html
Lenona
2021-05-05 18:05:41 UTC