Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78
Final_Taxi
2021-12-10 18:26:09 UTC
Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who penned many of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the groundwork for country rock with the First National Band in the early Seventies, died Friday from natural causes. He was 78......

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/
A Friend
2021-12-10 22:03:26 UTC
Post by Final_Taxi
Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who penned many
of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the groundwork for country
rock with the First National Band in the early Seventies, died Friday from
natural causes. He was 78......
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/
Say what you want, but it turned out to be a pretty good band, and some
of their songs have stood the test of time.
Matthew Kruk
No for everyone but I sure liked the movie "Head".
Terry del Fuego
2021-12-11 00:52:56 UTC
Post by A Friend
Say what you want, but it turned out to be a pretty good band, and some
of their songs have stood the test of time.
I'd change some to "many". Nesmith's solo material was great, too.

I actually left him a voice mail circa 2013 because I have a reel of
tape that at the time I thought might be of more use in his archives
than in my living room. I made it clear that I wasn't looking for
money but he didn't call back.

Saw him live just about three years ago with his pedal steel player
and they put on a great show.
Post by A Friend
No for everyone but I sure liked the movie "Head".
It's a personal favorite. Way, way, way up on my list. I'll never
understand how it got a G rating, though.
Rick B.
2021-12-12 00:38:02 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Matthew Kruk
No for everyone but I sure liked the movie "Head".
It's a personal favorite. Way, way, way up on my list. I'll never
understand how it got a G rating, though.
It was one of the first movies to get a rating, so the MPAA may not have had
their system fully tweaked. I can remember being a kid, riding in the car,
listening to a commercial for "Head", hearing it end with "This film has been
rated G." Knowing nothing about the ratings, I thought it must be some kind
of joke about the movie being so bad it couldn't even get a grade of F.
Terry del Fuego
2021-12-12 19:57:45 UTC
Post by Rick B.
It was one of the first movies to get a rating, so the MPAA may not have had
their system fully tweaked.
In hindsight, it does seem like it was a lot easier to get both a G
and an X back then, with X having none of the baggage that it
eventually accumulated. The MPAA seems to have settled into a mostly
predictable pattern within a few years, though I remember being pretty
shocked in 1979 when the first "Star Trek" movie got a G despite the
transporter accident scene.

Though, as I've said many times, whatever the shortcomings of the MPAA
may be, at least they aren't the BBFC.
Post by Rick B.
I can remember being a kid, riding in the car, listening to a commercial for
"Head", hearing it end with "This film has been rated G." Knowing nothing
about the ratings, I thought it must be some kind of joke about the movie
being so bad it couldn't even get a grade of F.
Ha! You're lucky it even came to your town. I kept waiting for it here
after my father saw it during a work-related trip to Los Angeles. He
liked it and said he'd take the kids, but it just never got here. I
had to wait for the laserdisc to finally catch up with it.
Fortunately, I wasn't disappointed.
Topic Cop
2021-12-11 03:58:35 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Final_Taxi
Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who penned many
of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the groundwork for country
rock with the First National Band in the early Seventies, died Friday from
natural causes. He was 78......
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/
Say what you want, but it turned out to be a pretty good band, and some
of their songs have stood the test of time.
Terrible TV show and the music was even worse.

I will miss the money I made flipping their tickets though, right up to the last show.
Marc Catone
2021-12-11 01:46:23 UTC
I always thought he was the most talented member of the Monkees. Certainly the most versatile. Sad to see him go.
Steve Hayes
2021-12-13 04:37:33 UTC
On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 10:26:09 -0800 (PST), Final_Taxi
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who
penned many of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the
groundwork for country rock with the First National Band in the early
Seventies, died Friday from natural causes. He was 78......

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/

(reformatted for legib ility)
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa