Boy who fired bottle rockets into traffic killed fleeing angry driver
d***@comcast.net
2005-07-15 23:51:16 UTC
Boy who fired bottle rockets into traffic killed fleeing angry driver

Friday, July 15, 2005 · Last updated 10:23 a.m. PT

Boy who fired bottle rockets into traffic dies fleeing driver

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPANAWAY, Wash. -- A driver angry that a 12-year-old Tacoma boy was
shooting bottle rockets at cars early Friday got out of his vehicle and
chased the boy into traffic, where he was struck and killed by another
car, authorities said.

Witnesses tried to revive the boy, identified by the Pierce County
Medical Examiner's Office as Garnet Wilis II. Two men were arrested
shortly afterward for investigation of manslaughter, the Washington
State Patrol said.

The episode happened around midnight near an intersection on Washington
7 in Spanaway, a small town south of Tacoma. Wilis and his 12-year-old
cousin had been hiding in bushes and shooting bottle rockets into
traffic, trooper Johnny R. Alexander said.

A green Toyota stopped, and its passenger, Tyrone Sherrod, 22, of
Tacoma, got out, chased one of the boys and started beating him,
Alexander said.

The Toyota's driver, Mario N. Haley, 22, of Lakewood, made a U-turn and
chased the second boy into a nearby parking lot, Alexander said. Haley
then got out of the car and continued chasing the boy, who ran onto the
highway and was struck by a car driven by a 17-year-old Spanaway girl,
the patrol said.

Investigators determined the girl who hit Garnet was not at fault. The
other boy was treated for injuries and released to his parents.

Sherrod and Haley fled, but police found them three hours later at
homes in Tacoma and Lakewood.
AKA

An the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out after 9pm.
ingrid56
2005-07-16 01:19:27 UTC
And the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out
after
9pm.
What I wonder is what would have happened if the bottle rockets they
were shooting at the cars would have caused a major car accident with
numerous people injured or killed? "Boys Will Be Boys"? I'm glad the
guys stopped to beat the crap out of them. The kid didn't have to run
into traffic. How dumb is that? I think manslaughter is far too
severe a charge!! Maybe assault with a fine. That's plenty.
Dave B
2005-07-16 03:06:33 UTC
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:19:27 GMT, "ingrid56"
Post by ingrid56
And the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out
after
9pm.
What I wonder is what would have happened if the bottle rockets they
were shooting at the cars would have caused a major car accident with
numerous people injured or killed? "Boys Will Be Boys"? I'm glad the
guys stopped to beat the crap out of them. The kid didn't have to run
into traffic. How dumb is that? I think manslaughter is far too
severe a charge!! Maybe assault with a fine. That's plenty.
That is what he gets for not being able to take a joke. As I say, f***
him if he can't take a joke.
Hoodoo
2005-07-16 16:09:24 UTC
Post by AKA
An the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out after 9pm.
Good point.
It's a big old goofy world. - John Prine
Terry del Fuego
2005-07-17 16:55:45 UTC
Post by Hoodoo
Post by AKA
An the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out after 9pm.
Good point.
Maybe what we should do is ban all groups who might have members who
might do something wrong.
Liz W
2005-07-18 09:04:04 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Hoodoo
Post by AKA
An the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out after 9pm.
Good point.
Maybe what we should do is ban all groups who might have members who
might do something wrong.
Could someone describe a bottle rocket, please, for the non-USA people?
Thanks.

Liz...
Brad Ferguson
2005-07-18 10:45:11 UTC
Post by Liz W
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Hoodoo
Post by AKA
An the lesson learned here is 12 and 7 year olds shouldn't be out after 9pm.
Good point.
Maybe what we should do is ban all groups who might have members who
might do something wrong.
Could someone describe a bottle rocket, please, for the non-USA people?
Thanks.
Think of a firecracker-sized explosive with a thin, foot-long stick
glued to its bottom. You place the stick in a tall Coke cottle or
similar. Light the firecracker, and it shoots out of the bottle like a
rocket. The stick adds a surprising amount of stability. The bottle
rocket travels upward anywhere from thirty to a hundred feet, and
explodes. You can also shoot them at things at ground level by aiming
the bottle.
FREE JUDITH MILLER
Liz W
2005-07-19 10:25:37 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by Liz W
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Hoodoo
Post by AKA
[...]
Thanks very much. Very lethal when misused, obviously.

Liz...

Kathy
2005-07-17 21:04:41 UTC
[...]

I'm going to take the heat and post an unpopular stance on this. Althought
the children in this case were doing something very wrong, the adults in the
situation were the ones who were supposed to have behaved better. Chasing a
child near traffic knowing that a child doesn't have the wisdom and
experience an adult has is so totally irresponsible. We shouldn't expect
children to behave like adults and we shouldn't condone adults who behave
like children. The adult in this case was the one who should have behaved
better.

I'm not saying kids will be kids, but for pete's sake, the adult should have
handled this whole thing in a more mature fashion. After all, he's supposed
to be the mature one.

And the parents should shoulder their share of the blame as well.

Kathy Wajerski
MGW
2005-07-17 21:13:47 UTC
Post by Kathy
I'm going to take the heat and post an unpopular stance on this. Althought
the children in this case were doing something very wrong, the adults in the
situation were the ones who were supposed to have behaved better. Chasing a
child near traffic knowing that a child doesn't have the wisdom and
experience an adult has is so totally irresponsible. We shouldn't expect
children to behave like adults and we shouldn't condone adults who behave
like children. The adult in this case was the one who should have behaved
better.
I don't think that's necessarily an unpopular opinion. IMO, the
so-called adults should have called the police. It would have been
fine to grab the kids and hold them until the cops came, but beating
the crap out of one of them and chasing the other into traffice were
not at all appropriate!

MGW
Kathy

Kathy Wajerski
William Barger
2005-07-18 04:00:53 UTC
Back when I was a kid we used to "corn" cars. Meaning we'd throw
handfuls of dried feedcorn at passing cars. In retrospect it seems
dangerous and stupid as hell, but when you are a bored farm boy...
Reminds me of the time we were 'spying' on a friend of our's sister. She
got up like she had heard us. I took off running. It was dark and I was
looking down.I saw a wire and jumped it. It was a barbed wire fence and
I was literally hung on it. My friends had to peel me off. She (the
sister) cleaned and bandaged the wounds; so it was worth it!
These kids may have been wrong, but they should not have suffered such
dire consequences. (IMO). Too much of a vigilante consciousness going on
for my taste. Here in Florida you can now shoot someone if you even FEEL
threatened. Used to be that it had to occur on your property. Now the
law applies no matter where you are. Seems like a lot of latitude for
some of the knuckleheads out there.
Bill
Bob Feigel
2005-07-18 04:41:15 UTC
Post by William Barger
Back when I was a kid we used to "corn" cars. Meaning we'd throw
handfuls of dried feedcorn at passing cars. In retrospect it seems
dangerous and stupid as hell, but when you are a bored farm boy...
That brings back some old memories of my summers in Evansville. Also
something I learned from the local kids who were my summer friends. We
lived on South Alvord Boulevard and they lived across the alleyway
behind us on Kelsey. The Stoltz kids, (Tommy, Charlotte & Bobby).
Alvord was fairly level, but Kelsey had this hill that peaked right in
front of their house. So what we'd do is go out at dusk, half of us on
one side of the street and the rest opposite, wait for a car to
approach, then pretend we were lifting a rope.

If we were lucky the trick worked once for each car, but one evening a
guy in his teens (looked BIG to us) slammed on his brakes, got out and
chased us. IIRC we had lots of places to hide in those days. b

---

"Like I told my wife, I said, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see.
Besides, it's all in the reflexes.'" - Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China

Wax-up and drop-in on surfing's Golden Years: http://www.surfwriter.net