The Spanish Flu ended without vaccines!!
Add Reply
Dave P.
2021-08-30 18:30:06 UTC
The Spanish Flu ended without vaccines!!
Spanish flu: History
2.1 Timeline
2.1.1 First wave of early 1918
2.1.2 Deadly second wave of late 1918
2.1.3 Third wave of 1919
2.1.4 Fourth wave of 1920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
Bernard T. Higonnet
2021-08-30 19:09:52 UTC
Post by Dave P.
The Spanish Flu ended without vaccines!!
Spanish flu: History
2.1 Timeline
2.1.1 First wave of early 1918
2.1.2 Deadly second wave of late 1918
2.1.3 Third wave of 1919
2.1.4 Fourth wave of 1920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
This has got to be the stupidest post I've seen in while.

Yeah all previous pandemics ended without vaccines when there weren't
any vaccines. Try counting the dead jerk.

DUH.
Dave P.
2021-09-01 08:21:13 UTC
Post by Bernard T. Higonnet
Post by Dave P.
The Spanish Flu ended without vaccines!!
Spanish flu: History
2.1 Timeline
2.1.1 First wave of early 1918
2.1.2 Deadly second wave of late 1918
2.1.3 Third wave of 1919
2.1.4 Fourth wave of 1920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
This has got to be the stupidest post I've seen in while.
Yeah all previous pandemics ended without vaccines when there weren't
any vaccines. Try counting the dead jerk.
-----------
Why did the scientists call for Zero Population Growth
50 years ago? For Kicks? No, they were looking at out
eco-footprint & extrapolating into the future, & nobody
else was! Nothing was debunked; it was ignored!
Enrjyzr B
2021-09-02 21:24:51 UTC
Post by Dave P.
Post by Bernard T. Higonnet
Post by Dave P.
The Spanish Flu ended without vaccines!!
Spanish flu: History
2.1 Timeline
2.1.1 First wave of early 1918
2.1.2 Deadly second wave of late 1918
2.1.3 Third wave of 1919
2.1.4 Fourth wave of 1920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
This has got to be the stupidest post I've seen in while.
Yeah all previous pandemics ended without vaccines when there weren't
any vaccines. Try counting the dead jerk.
-----------
Why did the scientists call for Zero Population Growth
50 years ago? For Kicks? No, they were looking at out
eco-footprint & extrapolating into the future, & nobody
else was! Nothing was debunked; it was ignored!
"The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

At an estimated 50 million deaths worldwide, it's far more severe than what we are going through now, however, without a vaccine now we might have seen worse. My uncle, as a newborn, died from this.
ansaman
2021-09-04 09:53:06 UTC
If we had globally taken proper steps to control
population, 50 years ago, when the scientists called for
ZPG, we could have decreased the possibility of climate
change, the refugee crisis, environmental degradation,
decimation of wildlife, and novel zoonotic diseases!
Hey we tried population control in 30's and 40's. It
was expensive and people didn't like it.
--
**The AnsaMan**
Stupor Mundi!
Meteorite Debris
I don't remember there being population control in the 30s and 40s. I do remember from school WWII which was not about population control.
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-04 14:36:40 UTC
Post by Meteorite Debris
Post by ansaman
If we had globally taken proper steps to control
population, 50 years ago, when the scientists called for
ZPG, we could have decreased the possibility of climate
change, the refugee crisis, environmental degradation,
decimation of wildlife, and novel zoonotic diseases!
Hey we tried population control in 30's and 40's. It
was expensive and people didn't like it.
--
**The AnsaMan**
Stupor Mundi!
I don't remember there being population control in the 30s and 40s. I do
remember from school WWII which was not about population control.
I assume that that (WW2) was what he was referring to.
--
Note that Oprah actually is all the things that The Donald only wishes he were.
For one thing, she actually *is* a billionaire. She's also actually self-made,
and is mentally stable.
Dave P.
2021-09-04 19:27:28 UTC
Post by ansaman
If we had globally taken proper steps to control
population, 50 years ago, when the scientists called for
ZPG, we could have decreased the possibility of climate
change, the refugee crisis, environmental degradation,
decimation of wildlife, and novel zoonotic diseases!
Hey we tried population control in 30's and 40's. It
was expensive and people didn't like it.
----------
Birth Control will never be enough; gotta have Death Control, too!
Stop making flu, MMR, & Covid shots, to shorten the average
life span by a few years! Extending life spans more & more
is a selfish decision at the expense of other critters, future
generations, & the environment! Nowhere else in Nature does
a population increase indefinitely without a crash!
----
----
John M.
Be patient. A crash is on the way but who knows when.
Dave P.
2021-09-06 21:26:18 UTC
Post by Dave P.
Birth Control will never be enough; gotta have Death Control, too!
Stop making flu, MMR, & Covid shots, to shorten the average
life span by a few years! Extending life spans more & more
is a selfish decision at the expense of other critters, future
generations, & the environment! Nowhere else in Nature does
a population increase indefinitely without a crash!
To the pro-natalists who argue that "God will provide," I say: "maybe God WAS
providing by keeping the death rate so high, for thousands of years, until the
1890s, since it wasn't until then that all the world's DOCTORS had learned the
importance of washing their hands?! Maybe God didn't WANT us to discover
germs in the first place?"
let's not forget that more (?) than half the world's women does not have
easy access to a wide range of contraceptives. (Lots of women cannot
safely use hormones or IUDs without harm.) On top of that, many would
agree that poverty is a huge cause of teen pregnancy, because even when
the parents don't WANT their children to marry early (and millions do), the
teens may see parenthood as the only thing they can accomplish in life.
So until both facts change drastically, we can't say that "birth control will
never be enough."
-----------------
We're adding 80 million per year, that's one billion every 12 years, just like
we've been doing for decades!
1804: 1 billion, 1926: 2 billion, 1963: 3 billion,
1974: 4 billion, 1986: 5 billion, 2000: 6 billion.
2012: 7 billion, 2023: 8 billion....
----
----
Lenona
2021-09-06 23:37:31 UTC
Post by Dave P.
We're adding 80 million per year, that's one billion every 12 years, just like
we've been doing for decades!
1804: 1 billion, 1926: 2 billion, 1963: 3 billion,
1974: 4 billion, 1986: 5 billion, 2000: 6 billion.
2012: 7 billion, 2023: 8 billion....
Funny, the dates I'd always heard were: 1960, 1974, 1987, 1999, 2011, and 2023. Those would have a more likely consistency, anyway.

And, oddly, the Worldometers website doesn't seem to have noticed the sharp drop in the birth rate in the last 12 months or so of the pandemic (assuming the drop happened in most of the world's nations). That is, in my experience, that site has claimed for years that we've had 9,300 births every hour, which is how I calculated that that site, at least, will display 8 billion in early January, 2023 - whether that's close to accurate or not.

But, according to this...

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/world-population-projections/

...we won't reach 9 billion till 2037, 14 years after 2023. So by 2030, we should know whether that prediction of a slowdown for the rest of this century was correct or not - from other sources, maybe.
Lenona
2021-09-07 00:02:52 UTC
And I don't know just how the death rate in 2020 compared to the death rate in 2019, but it's likely that deaths caused by pre-pandemic activities weren't quite as common during the pandemic. (Though I certainly heard reports, sadly, of people getting killed in car crashes because the roads were less crowded and they were driving faster than usual - at least one state governor had to go on the news to tell drivers to slow down.)
Lenona
2021-09-07 04:00:47 UTC
Post by Lenona
And I don't know just how the death rate in 2020 compared to the death rate in 2019, but it's likely that deaths caused by pre-pandemic activities weren't quite as common during the pandemic. (Though I certainly heard reports, sadly, of people getting killed in car crashes because the roads were less crowded and they were driving faster than usual - at least one state governor had to go on the news to tell drivers to slow down.)
Well, in the U.S. at least, the deaths apparently increased by almost 18%! (But in Indonesia, I heard, the pandemic meant that people couldn't access family planning services as easily, so there's been a baby boom there that the U.S. didn't have. Likely, many Third World countries are going through the same thing.)

https://www.dw.com/en/indonesia-coronavirus-baby-boom/av-56991249

https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/04/01/coronavirus

"Overall, the researchers found an estimated 3,358,814 deaths occurred in the United States in 2020—up by 17.7% from 2,854,838 deaths in 2019. The researchers also found the estimated age-adjusted death rate increased by 15.9% from 715.2 per 100,000 population in 2019 to 828.7 deaths per 100,000 population in 2020."
Lenona
2021-09-07 00:06:10 UTC
"in the last 12 months"

Now that I think about it, I should only have said "since December."

After all, the lockdowns didn't really get going until March of 2020.
Dave P.
2021-09-10 06:37:55 UTC
Post by Lenona
Post by Dave P.
[...]
-------
There's nothing "normal" about adding one billion every 12 years!
..
..