Woodstock 50 Canceled
2019-04-29 22:02:03 UTC
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/29/woodstock-50-canceled-music-festival/

WOODSTOCK 50
FESTIVAL CANCELED
According to Investors
4/29/2019 9:43 AM PDT

Woodstock 50 Investors Cancel Festival, Promoter Says it's Still On
BREAKING NEWS

Woodstock 50 is officially scrapped ... at least according to the people putting up the money to produce the iconic music festival's anniversary.

Honchos at Dentsu Aegis Network -- the festival's main investor -- dropped the hammer Monday, saying, it doesn't "believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees."

Sounds like they were afraid Woodstock 50 would become Fyre Fest 2019.

Tickets for Woodstock 50 were supposed to go on sale last week, but never did. Organizers said they were trying to iron out logistics while waiting to hear back from the New York State Department of Health after applying for a mass gathering permit.

As we reported ... the massive music and arts event was supposed to feature huge names like Jay-Z, Chance the Rapper, Imagine Dragons, Carlos Santana, Dead & Company and Halsey. We know at least some of the artists have NOT been informed the show's off.

Worth noting ... the promoter, Michael Lang, does not agree Woodstock 50 is sunk. He tells us Dentsu's announcement was a "complete surprise," but adds ... they're not giving up on the festival yet.

Story developing ...
That Derek
2019-04-29 23:20:48 UTC
Awwwwwwwww!

Give me an "F"! ... better than a "J" or a "Z."
MJ Emigh
2019-04-30 01:53:18 UTC

The fact that Woodstock is a brand name is reason enough to cancel it.
Michael OConnor
2019-04-30 02:11:37 UTC
I know people who were at the 1969 Woodstock that attended the 1999 event and were aghast to see the blatant commercialization all over the event and the people selling the six dollar bottles of water. It's probably just as well, I don't think you could possibly come up with an event as nearly organic as Woodstock again.
That Derek
2019-04-30 16:22:10 UTC
Here's a story about another "Woodstock>"

My pal, pop culture historian Derrick [sp.?] Bang runs a blog dedicated to Peanuts and Charlie Brown called "Five Cents Please."

I recently posited a query about Woodstock, from which Derrick wrote a blog entry:

http://blog.fivecentsplease.org/2019/04/many-american-newspapers-currently-have.html

April 12, 2019

A bird by any other name...

Many American newspapers currently have been re-running the lengthy 1972 storyline that begins when Snoopy starts to read Tolstoy’s War and Peace — one word at a time — and climaxes when, after a silly spat with Woodstock, Snoopy bravely hops the fence in order to save his little bird buddy from the vicious cat next door … only to wind up “rescuing” an old yellow glove.

Fellow Peanuts fan Derek Tague just called our attention to an existential hiccup that pops up midway through this sequence, in the strip originally published April 7. (And boy, we love to get mail like this!)

The “cat and dog fight” has drawn the attention of the entire gang, at which point Linus hastily explains that “Snoopy is rescuing Woodstock!”

So … how does Linus know Woodstock’s name?

We take for granted that Snoopy and Woodstock communicate with each other, via thought balloons and chirps, but they certainly don’t talk to people. And it’s not as if Woodstock’s nest is equipped with a mailing label.

We’d be inclined to dismiss this as a single slip on Charles Schulz’s part, except that — as we discovered via some quick research — it happens several more times, with Charlie Brown: in a weeklong January 1973 sequence, when Snoopy gets annoyed after receiving a bill for items he broke during Woodstock’s New Year’s Eve party; when Charlie Brown encourages Snoopy to put an orange in Woodstock’s Christmas stocking (12/23/75); when Charlie Brown chastises Snoopy for getting out of control at another of Woodstock’s New Year’s Eve parties (1/1-3/76); and when Snoopy, traveling to Kansas City, sends Charlie Brown a letter and asks him to say hello to Woodstock (6/22/76).

Although the latter offers an explanation for how Charlie Brown would know Woodstock’s name — rather late in the game — it does beg another question; one is forced to wonder how Snoopy penned this missive.

No doubt there are other examples of Charlie Brown and his friends somehow knowing Woodstock’s identity; we leave their discovery to our readers. Logically, we can assume that word spread after Linus’ initial announcement, but that still doesn’t explain how he found out.

Mention also should be made of 1977’s big-screen film, Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown. Recall that when Woodstock wins the race, he’s honored with a trophy that’s presented to him, by name. Granted, we’ve long insisted that the TV specials and movies are “non-canonical,” but still … it remains part of the same droll mystery.

Was Schulz aware of this delightful anomaly? Did he do it intentionally, or did he not realize the whimsical muddle he made of his own continuity?

We’ll never know…

Posted by Derrick Bang at 1:15 PM
l***@yahoo.com
2019-05-01 00:18:56 UTC
Mention also should be made of 1977’s big-screen film, Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown. Recall that when Woodstock wins the race, he’s honored with a trophy that’s presented to him, by name. Granted, we’ve long insisted that the TV specials and movies are “non-canonical,” but still … it remains part of the same droll mystery.
Not to mention the TV special "It's a Mystery, Charlie Brown" - from Feb. 1, 1974. Woodstock has a big role and his name does get said out loud, IIRC.

Lenona.
Topic Cop
There's a million festivals now. There is absolutely no reason today's crowd would flock to a field in Nowheresville, New York for a mediocre lineup just because the Woodstock name is attached.
m***@gmail.com
I live about 30 miles away from where the Woodstock 50th venue. However, if it takes off, I will not attend. The reason? More than likely one will have to get a ticket for all three days and not for individual days and I don't want to be there for all three. Unlike the original Woodstock where organizers just gave up on gathering tickets after awhile, the 50th personnel would have great difficulty keeping people with individual day tickets from staying more than one day. Therefore, it would be 3 day passes or none.
MJ Emigh
2019-05-01 22:10:36 UTC
Yes, they announced quite a while ago that they will sell only three-day passes. Not that I'd be going (I used to live close, but no more), but I only heard three or four acts mentioned that I'd like to see. Old guys. Like me.
Topic Cop
2019-05-02 14:48:17 UTC
Most festivals are webcast live now and the camera work is great and the editing sensible. No reason to actually endure the elements.
Michael OConnor
2019-05-05 16:36:31 UTC
I thought about that recently when watching that "Jeff Lynne's ELO: Wembley or Bust" concert film, which I thought was the best concert film I have seen in at least ten years. The camera work was so good and the angles and sound so superb, it could not have possibly have been as good as attending the concert in person. And BTW, Jeff Lynne never had the greatest singing voice, but his voice has held up well since the 70's, and the songs sounded every bit as good as ELO did on their albums.
Steve Hayes

Story developing ...
Larc
2019-05-05 18:40:34 UTC
On Sun, 05 May 2019 17:20:17 +0200, Steve Hayes <***@telkomsa.net> wrote:

| On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:02:03 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
| <***@aol.com> wrote:
|
| https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/29/woodstock-50-canceled-music-festival/
|

| WOODSTOCK 50
| FESTIVAL CANCELED
| According to Investors
| 4/29/2019 9:43 AM PDT
|
| Woodstock 50 Investors Cancel Festival, Promoter Says it's Still On

The promoter would have to return money and will possibly be in breach of contracts
if it's canceled, so will deny it until the last minute.

Larc
Michael OConnor
2019-05-05 20:01:14 UTC
Post by Larc
| Woodstock 50 Investors Cancel Festival, Promoter Says it's Still On
The promoter would have to return money and will possibly be in breach of contracts
if it's canceled, so will deny it until the last minute.
One issue they had was they had to honor the original Woodstock, and have back as many of the original bands as they could dig up, and there is a problem with (and I checked this on the Wikipedia) scheduling in a John Sebastian to play on the same day with Miley Cyrus. I don't know how many people were staying to see both acts, and how many of those under 50 would even know who Sebastian is by name, and after he played the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter", they wouldn't know anything else about him or the Lovin' Spoonful.

These days with the internet and social media, maybe it makes more sense for acts to get together and do this as a coordinated concert from different venues on the same day a la Live Aid?
m***@gmail.com
2019-05-05 20:23:43 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
One issue they had was they had to honor the original Woodstock, and have back as many of the original bands as they could dig up, and there is a problem with (and I checked this on the Wikipedia) scheduling in a John Sebastian to play on the same day with Miley Cyrus. I don't know how many people were staying to see both acts, and how many of those under 50 would even know who Sebastian is by name, and after he played the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter", they wouldn't know anything else about him or the Lovin' Spoonful.
These days with the internet and social media, maybe it makes more sense for acts to get together and do this as a coordinated concert from different venues on the same day a la Live Aid?
The Sixties were a decade and are a state of mind.

Marc
Louis Epstein
2019-05-06 19:40:13 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by Larc
| Woodstock 50 Investors Cancel Festival, Promoter Says it's Still On
The promoter would have to return money and will possibly be in breach of contracts
if it's canceled, so will deny it until the last minute.
One issue they had was they had to honor the original Woodstock, and have back as many of the original bands as they could dig up, and there is a problem with (and I checked this on the Wikipedia) scheduling in a John Sebastian to play on the same day with Miley Cyrus. I don't know how many people were staying to see both acts, and how many of those under 50 would even know who Sebastian is by name, and after he played the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter", they wouldn't know anything else about him or the Lovin' Spoonful.
These days with the internet and social media, maybe it makes more sense for acts to get together and do this as a coordinated concert from different venues on the same day a la Live Aid?
Is/was this planned as a single-stage concert?
Large festivals these days have multiple stages that presumably could
group bands with similar appeal so the crowds for each are all happy.

MJ Emigh
2019-05-05 22:36:52 UTC
Post by Larc
The promoter would have to return money and will possibly be in breach of contracts
if it's canceled, so will deny it until the last minute.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that no tickets had yet been sold, so that's one major headache that can be avoided.