YouTube link: 2021 "In Memoriam" reel, 93rd annual Academy Awards
2021-04-26 03:57:16 UTC

It went by too quickly; but, at least, the Academy scaled back its '"we-can't-include-everybody" mantra and crammed in a more-than-usual litany of honourees. However, Olivia de Havillaqd went by fast and was not saved for the prestige position at the conclusion -- Chadwick Boseman got that honour with Sir Sean Connery the penultimate.
Adam H. Kerman
They tarnished the final vestige of Hollywood's Golden Age.
J.D. Baldwin
2021-04-26 14:14:42 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
They tarnished the final vestige of Hollywood's Golden Age.
Ugh. Just ghastly. And, on top of the crap intro and the crap
delivery thereof, professional writers sloppily misused the word
"enormity."

The musical selection was at least not as bad as it has sometimes
been.

Once again, watching this in sequence with the TCM tribute is a
study in contrasts: professionals with taste and judgment who care
about cinema and its history, vs. cheap hacks just ticking off boxes.
MJ Emigh
2021-04-26 22:06:55 UTC
At least I got to read most of the names. Were there pictures, too?
Bill Smith
2021-04-28 12:46:04 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
At least I got to read most of the names. Were there pictures, too?
They try making up for it by posting a more inclusive list online - does not exclude the gaffes on the TV program.

https://aframe.oscars.org/news/in-memoriam
Bill Smith
2021-04-28 12:47:33 UTC
Exclude? I meant excuse.
Louis Epstein
2021-04-30 06:37:07 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Adam H. Kerman
They tarnished the final vestige of Hollywood's Golden Age.
Ugh. Just ghastly. And, on top of the crap intro and the crap
delivery thereof, professional writers sloppily misused the word
"enormity."
The musical selection was at least not as bad as it has sometimes
been.
Once again, watching this in sequence with the TCM tribute is a
study in contrasts: professionals with taste and judgment who care
about cinema and its history, vs. cheap hacks just ticking off boxes.
I've found it hard to watch since they muted the audience reactions
some years back.It takes it out of the event to do that.

J.D. Baldwin
2021-04-30 14:14:09 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Once again, watching this in sequence with the TCM tribute is a
study in contrasts: professionals with taste and judgment who
care about cinema and its history, vs. cheap hacks just ticking
off boxes.
I've found it hard to watch since they muted the audience reactions
some years back.It takes it out of the event to do that.
There's an element of dishonesty to doing that, as well. It's a live
event, and part of the charm of a live event is that audiences are not
completely predictable. Muting the audience is the flip side of
inserting a laugh track to boost unfunny patter. They probably do
that, too.
Scott Brady
2021-05-02 16:56:38 UTC
Maybe they ought to hand over the task to a different leading director each year and let them put their stamp on it.