Jacqueline Scott, 88, actress (Dr. Kimble's sister on "The Fugitive")
2020-07-28 13:28:16 UTC
https://mywesternboothill.blogspot.com/2020/07/rip-jacqueline-scott.html
Monday, July 27, 2020
RIP Jacqueline Scott

Western Portraits
By Steve Carver
7/27/2020

Celebrating Jacqueline Scott in Western Portraits of Great Character Actors: The Unsung Heroes & Villains of the Silver Screen. At age three, Jacqueline won a tap-dancing contest, which led her to pursue a show business career. As training, she saw every movie she could, learning how to mouth the actors' lines. Eventually she moved to St. Louis, where she worked for a small theater company and soon afterward left for New York City to begin her career in earnest. There she studied with the legendary acting teacher Uta Hagen. Jacqueline’s first major role on Broadway was as the ingénue lead in THE WOODEN DISH in 1955, which starred Louis Calhern. This she followed in the same year by the ingénue lead in INHERIT THE WIND, which starred Paul Muni and Tony Randall. Her performance as the young girl in love with a teacher who’s on trial for lecturing his students about evolution won her raves, and the dramatic smash became Broadway history. Jacqueline’s career in television series began with her role as Emese Iszak in the ARMSTRONG CIRCLE THEATRE 1956, and roles in OMNIBUS 1956, ROBERT MONTGOMERY PRESENTS 1957, NAVY LOG 1957, THE KAISER ALUMINUM HOUR 1957, MIKE HAMMER 1958, THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW 1958, MATINEE THEATRE 1958, STATE TROOPER 1958 and STEVE CANYON 1958. She made her motion picture debut in William Castle’s MACABRE in 1958, famous for the promotional gimmicks employed by Castle. No one collected on the thousand-dollar insurance policy against “death by fright” that the movie promised, but the gimmick drove MACABRE to make more than five-million dollars. Jacqueline made three guest appearances on PERRY MASON as Amelia Armitage in "The Case of the Daring Decoy" 1958, as Sally Wilson in "The Case of the Glittering Goldfish" 1959 and Kathi Beecher in "The Case of the Violent Village" 1960. Roles in TV Westerns rolled in, including THE SHERIFF OF COCHISE 1958, U. S. MARSHAL 1958-60, ZANE GREY THEATER 1959, BAT MASTERSON 1959, THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF WYATT EARP 1961, WIDE COUNTRY 1962, THE VIRGINIAN 1962, STONEY BURKE 1962, TEMPLE HOUSTON 1963, FIRECREEK 1968, THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT 1969, HERE COMES THE BRIDES 1969, DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER 1969 and HOW THE WEST WAS WON 1979. Jacqueline did five episodes of HAVE GUN - WILL TRAVEL 1958-63, one every year the show was on. She did eight episodes of GUNSMOKE 1959-72, several as the Widow Abelia. She appeared in LARAMIE in three episodes 1962–63 and in three episodes of BONANZA 1962–1965. In the television series THE FUGITIVE 1964-67, Jacqueline played Donna Kimble Taft, the sister of Dr. Richard Kimble (David Janssen) in five episodes, including the two-part finale that at the time became the highest-rated program in television history. Jacqueline appeared in several notable movies, including Steven Spielberg’s DUEL 1971, CHARLEY VARRICK 1973, EMPIRE OF THE ANTS 1977, TELEFON 1977, JINXED! 1982 and SUGAR BOXX 2009. Her many guest roles in popular TV shows and series include MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 1970, THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY 1970, 1977, THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO 1972, 1974, PLANET OF THE APES 1974, CHIPS 1978, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL 1987, EQUAL JUSTICE 1991 and as Sally Bower in COLD CASE, "The Boy in the Box" 2003.
“I had done other shows for casting director Marvin Paige, and when he told me about PLANET OF THE APES, I thought it would be a nice change from Westerns. But when I read the script, it said, "The humans come over a hill, and they see a farmhouse!" Well, I screamed! Oh, my gosh! I’m going to play an ape farmwife! They had about seven makeup men, and they were the best. They had to blend the makeup and appliances into your skin, and lay hair on your face and hands. The most difficult thing was that the makeup guys were hysterically funny, but once they started putting your mask on, you couldn’t laugh or else you would ruin it. Other people ripped off their masks; it psyched them out. Your first instinct was to stretch your face and mouth, and pull the mask loose from your face. But that was the worst thing you could do, because then the mask would just flop around on your face all day. It was definitely a challenge, but as an actress, I loved that. You had to find different ways of moving and expressing yourself. Marvin told me that the two actresses who dealt with the makeup best were Beverly Garland and me. When some of the crew said how pretty I looked, I knew they had been on the show too long!” —Jacqueline Scott

SCOTT, Jacqueline (Jacqueline Sue Scott)
Born: 1/1/1932, Sikeston, Missouri, U.S.A.
Died: 7/23/2020, Los Angles, California, U.S.A.

Jacqueline Scott’s westerns – actress:
Have Gun – Will Travel (TV) – 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963 (Tildy Buchanan, Stacy Neal, Claire LaDoux, Amanda, Nora Larson)
The Sheriff of Cochise (TV) – 1958
U.S. Marshal (TV) – 1958, 1960 (Joan, Mrs. Ben Tyler, Doris Reeves)
Bat Masterson (TV) – 1959 (Carol Otis, Teresa Renault)
Gunsmoke (TV) – 1959, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972 (Abbie, Francie, Stella, Ada Stanley, Anne Madison, Abelia, Abelia Johnson, Abelia)
Zane Grey Theater (TV) – 1959 (Jenny Carter)
The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp (TV) – 1961 (Beth Grover)
Bonanza (TV) – 1962, 1964, 1965 (Kathie, Willa Cord, Joy Dexter)
Laramie (TV) – 1962, 1963 (Francie, Stacey Bishop, Ellen)
Stoney Burke (TV) – 1962 (Leora Dawson)
The Virginian (TV) – 1962 (Melissa Tatum)
Wide Country (TV) – 1962 (Ella Bennett)
Temple Houston (TV) – 1963 (Kate Hagadorn)
Firecreek – 1968 (Henrietta Cobb)
Death of a Gunfighter – 1969 (Laurie Mills)
The Guns of Will Sonnett (TV) – 1969 (Emily Damon)
Here Come the Brides (TV) – 1969 (Linda)
How the West Was Won (TV) – 1969 (Mrs. Ferguson)
Posted by Tom B. at 6:26 PM

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0779261/
e***@gmail.com
2020-07-28 23:19:28 UTC
She played Steve Forrest's wife in the 1963 Twilight Zone episode "The Parallel." Some fans don't like the hour-long shows, but I've always enjoyed that one.
Diner
2020-07-29 15:36:44 UTC
This obituary corrects her date of birth from 1/1/1932 (in my original post) to June 25, 1931 - and corrects her age from 88 to 89.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jacqueline-scott-dead-actress-fugitive-charley-varrick-was-89-1304712
Jacqueline Scott, Actress in 'The Fugitive' and 'Charley Varrick,' Dies at 89
11:34 AM PDT 7/28/2020 by Mike Barnes

Jacqueline Scott, who played the sister of David Janssen's man on the run in The Fugitive and the wife of Walter Matthau's bank robber in Charley Varrick, has died. She was 89.

Scott died Thursday at her home in Los Angeles after a battle with lung cancer, her son, Andrew, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Scott's characters also were married to small-town sheriff Jimmy Stewart in Firecreek (1968) and Dennis Weaver's salesman in Steven Spielberg's Duel (1971), and on the 1963 Twilight Zone episode "The Parallel," she was the wife of an astronaut (Steve Forrest) who finds things amiss after he returns home after orbiting the Earth.

In addition to Charley Varrick (1973), the down-to-earth actress appeared in three other films for director Don Siegel — Death of a Gunfighter (1969), starring Richard Widmark and Lena Horne; Telefon (1977), starring Charles Bronson and Lee Remick; and Bette Midler's Jinxed! (1982), his last movie.

Scott showed up as Richard Kimble's (Janssen) married sister, Donna, on five episodes of ABC's The Fugitive, including the 1967 series finale, "The Judgment: Part II," watched by a then-record 78 million viewers.

The Fugitive was a Quinn Martin production, and Scott also appeared in other dramas for the company, including The F.B.I., The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon and Barnaby Jones.

She also worked on eight episodes of Gunsmoke, five of Have Gun — Will Travel and three of the original Perry Mason.

Born on June 25, 1931, in Sikeston, Missouri, Scott appeared in tap-dance competitions starting when she was 3. She came to New York and appeared in the original 1955-57 Broadway production of the courtroom drama Inherit the Wind, then worked for William Castle in Macabre (1958).

Scott's résumé also included the films House of Women (1962) and Empire of the Ants (1977) and the TV shows 77 Sunset Strip, Bat Masterson, Route 66, The Virginian, The Untouchables, The Outer Limits, Mission: Impossible, Police Woman and Cold Case.

"I wanted to play all different characters. And I got to do that," she said in a 2016 interview. "Once I'd be the good girl and once I'd be the bad girl. … One director, Leo Penn — who is Sean Penn's father — would call me for anything. We had worked together when we were kids in New York, and he was fabulous.

"Sometimes, there would be a part that people didn't think I could do. And Leo would say, 'Well, it's the last minute and I don't have time to mess around meeting actors I don't know. I want Jacqueline.' He'd push me for the part — and the producers would be happy he did."

Her husband, former TV writer and press agent Gene Lesser — they met on the set of Macabre and married in 1958 — died June 23 of natural causes in their L.A. home at 94. In addition to their son, survivors include granddaughters Arianna and Valerie and daughter-in-law Sue.