"Capitol Police Officer Dies From Injuries in Pro-Trump Rampage"
Add Reply
Lenona
2021-01-08 14:30:14 UTC
For some reason, I can't copy the NYT link - it disappears as fast as it appears!

"Capitol Police Officer Dies From Injuries in Pro-Trump Rampage
The death of the officer, Brian D. Sicknick, appeared likely to lead to calls for profound changes to the Capitol Police, a centuries-old force."

By Marc Santora, Megan Specia and Mike Baker
Jan. 8, 2021

A United States Capitol Police officer died on Thursday night from injuries sustained “while physically engaging” with pro-Trump rioters who descended on the U.S. Capitol the day before, the fifth fatality linked to the chaos that engulfed the nation’s capital on Wednesday, according to the authorities.

The officer, Brian D. Sicknick, was only the fourth member of the force to be killed in the line of duty since its founding two centuries ago. After the bedlam of Wednesday’s siege and the recriminations that filled the airwaves the next day, a silence descended over the Capitol grounds late Thursday as hundreds of law enforcement officers from scores of agencies lined the streets to pay tribute to their fallen comrade.

But the loss of life also underscored the failure of law enforcement agencies to prevent the siege of the Capitol. And with leaders of both political parties calling for investigations, it appeared likely to lead to calls for profound changes to the Capitol Police.

The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear, and the Capitol Police said only that he had “passed away due to injuries sustained while on duty.” At some point in the chaos — with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress while lawmakers were forced to hide under their desks — he was struck with a fire extinguisher, according to two law enforcement officials.

“He returned to his division office and collapsed,” the Capitol Police said in the statement. “He was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.”

Mr. Sicknick, who joined the force in 2008, died at about 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, the Capitol Police said in a statement. The Washington police department’s homicide branch is one of several law enforcement agencies involved in an investigation into his death and the overall circumstances of the violence at the Capitol.

The officer’s death brings the fatalities from Wednesday’s mayhem to five. One participant in the pro-Trump rampage, Ashli Babbitt, was fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer inside the building as she climbed through a broken window leading to the Speaker’s Lobby. Three other people died after experiencing what were believed to be medical emergencies in the area around the Capitol, the police said.

It was unclear where Mr. Sicknick’s encounter with the rioters took place, but photos and a video posted by a local reporter during the night of chaos showed a man spraying a fire extinguisher outside the Senate chamber, with a small number of police officers overlooking the area on a nearby stairway.

Lawmakers in both chambers and from both parties vowed to find out how those responsible for Capitol security had allowed a violent mob to infiltrate the building. House Democrats announced a “robust” investigation into the law enforcement breakdown....

(snip)
Big Mongo
2021-01-08 14:49:44 UTC
Post by Lenona
For some reason, I can't copy the NYT link - it disappears as fast as it appears!
Here ya go....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/us/politics/a-capitol-police-officer-dies-from-injuries-sustained-during-the-pro-trump-rampage.html
Dave P.
2021-01-09 00:44:26 UTC
Post by Lenona
"Capitol Police Officer Dies From Injuries in Pro-Trump Rampage
CCP Flag Flies Over Capitol Marking Democrat Control Of Presidency,
House, And Senate
https://babylonbee.com/news/soviet-flag-flies-over-capitol-marking-democrat-control-of-presidency-house-and-senate

Ignorant Republicans Riot And Don't Even Get Any Big-Screen TVs
https://babylonbee.com/news/ignorant-republicans-riot-and-dont-even-get-a-free-big-screen-tv-out-of-it

CNN Gravely Reports On 'First Violent Protest In Recent Memory'
https://babylonbee.com/news/cnn-calls-capitol-occupation-first-ever-riot-in-american-history

Pelosi Calls For Capitol To Increase Presence Of Social Workers
https://babylonbee.com/news/pelosi-calls-for-capitol-to-increase-presence-of-social-workers
Adam H. Kerman
Hey! I made that crack on Wednesday! My jokes are getting ripped off.
Dave P.
Which one.....the Pelosi / Social Worker one?
Adam H. Kerman
2021-01-10 16:27:31 UTC
Post by Dave P.
Post by Dave P.
Post by Dave P.
Pelosi Calls For Capitol To Increase Presence Of Social Workers
https://babylonbee.com/news/pelosi-calls-for-capitol-to-increase-presence-of-social-workers
Hey! I made that crack on Wednesday! My jokes are getting ripped off.
Which one.....the Pelosi / Social Worker one?
When the second-guessing, finger pointing, blame, and forced resignations
began the next day, because, you know, it was completely predictible
that in America there wouldn't be a peaceful transistion of power,
I said surely teams of social workers could have calmed everyone down,
turning back the tide of insurrectionists.