"Bell Hooks" is dead at 69
2021-12-15 20:08:39 UTC
The Guardian,NBC News,CNN,the Washington Post,and USA Today
are all reported by Google News as indulging the affectation
of the newly-deceased Gloria Jean Watkins of refusing to
capitalize her pen name.

But,though she may deserve a positive response to her
title "Ain't I a Woman?",I affirm that ALL PROPER NAMES
MUST BE CAPITALIZED,and she ain't an exception because
there are none!

Big B.
Big H.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-12-16 00:26:10 UTC
Well, I suppose when e.e. cummings virtually was the only personage (inscrutable poet or otherwise) doing it, it was kinda sorta cool. Or at least an original idea. (So Bell Hooks and K.D. Lang and anyone else applying such affectations come off as just unimaginative copycats--and when you're a poet or songwriter, unimaginative thinking is not what you should be known for.)

But the long-established (and for good reason!) dictates of English demand that ALL others accept standard capitalization convention. So Louis Epstein, Bryan Styble and the rest of the English-speaking world--including the late Hooks and the still-singing Lang--should comply. And, at least in those first two cases, we DO, happily.

By the Way, one Reason--there ARE others as well--I simply detest the German Language is its positively-stupid Rule about capitalizing the initial Letter of every Noun*, even though that Practice makes for downright hideous and confusing Layout on the printed Page, distracting every Reader's Eye while confusing his Mind, not to mention generating additional busy Work for any Typesetter or Proofreader forced to expend Labor on such visually-confusing Text, littering every Book published in that Tongue with initial-Cap Nouns cropping up willy-nilly amid all those quite-sensibly un-capitalized verbs, pronouns, prepositions, et al. I mean, how would YOU like it--much less your Language-struggling Kids, or your Vision-challenged Grandma now residing in some assisted-living Facility or a residential Hotel or maybe just a modest Bungalow sited behind your own House on your own Property--if English ALSO employed such an unnecessarily-numbskull Rule for the written-Version of the verbal/aural Code we all exchange Ideas via (that is, spoken Language)? As for little ol' me, this twin textual Insanity and Inanity makes me pull my Hair out, and that hurts my Head!

* One lovely quirk of English is that the word "noun" is a noun; another is that the word "adjectival" is adjectival**.
** That is, the adjectival form of "adjective" is "adjectival"!
Louis Epstein
2021-12-16 02:53:18 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Well, I suppose when e.e. cummings virtually was the only personage
(inscrutable poet or otherwise) doing it, it was kinda sorta cool. Or at least
an original idea. (So Bell Hooks and K.D. Lang and anyone else applying such
affectations come off as just unimaginative copycats--and when you're a poet or
songwriter, unimaginative thinking is not what you should be known for.)
Edward Estlin Cummings,Kathryn Dawn Lang,et cetera.
Post by ***@gmail.com
But the long-established (and for good reason!) dictates of English demand that
Indeed...it annoys me no end that the Wikipedes demanded that the
Catholic splinter faction of the late Lucian "Pius XIII" Pulvermacher
be given its preferred self-identification of "true Catholic Church"
rather than the clear "True Catholic Church"...to lowercase the
"true" constitutes endorsement of their point of view.
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Did you ever read Erica Jong's novel Fanny,which essays to be in
the English idiom of its narratrix's time with capitalizations and
spellngs in accord with this?
Scott Brady
They were indulging their own affectations just by running her obituary. Who the hell ever heard of her?
Louis Epstein
2021-12-17 05:38:16 UTC
Post by Scott Brady
Post by Louis Epstein
The Guardian,NBC News,CNN,the Washington Post,and USA Today
are all reported by Google News as indulging the affectation
of the newly-deceased Gloria Jean Watkins of refusing to
capitalize her pen name.
They were indulging their own affectations just by running her obituary. Who
the hell ever heard of her?
Certain feminist circles,at least.

Lenona
2022-01-20 03:44:01 UTC
On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 11:27:09 AM UTC-5, Scott Brady wrote:

Who the hell ever heard of her?

Um, the NYT doesn't run obits that, even minus the photo, take up almost half the page, for no good reason.

As Louis Epstein pointed out, feminist readers and writers knew her well. (In 1993, she was on the cover of Ms., with Naomi Wolf, Gloria Steinem, and Urvashi Vaid. The title was "No, Feminists DON'T All Think Alike: Who Says We Have To?")

From the L.A. Times (Sept. 30, 1993), regarding that issue of Ms.:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-09-30-vw-40457-story.html

...Only bell hooks, an African-American with a truly radical feminist agenda, seems to grasp how damaging the bullies of political correctness have been to the cause.

“The image has been that there’s a party line,” she says. What is needed, though, is “intellectual dissent among women of all classes and men of all classes.”...

And, if you're wondering who Vaid is (from Wikipedia):

"Urvashi Vaid (born 8 October 1958) is an American LGBT rights activist, lawyer and writer. An expert in gender and sexuality law, she is a consultant in attaining specific goals of social justice. Vaid has held a series of roles at the National LGBTQ Task Force. She is the author of Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay and Lesbian Liberation (1995) and Irresistible Revolution: Confronting Race, Class and the Assumptions of LGBT Politics (2012)...."

(She was born in New Delhi, India. Her partner, since the 1980s, has been comedian Kate Clinton, who is now 74. I remember seeing Clinton on stage, talking about visiting India with Vaid.)
A Friend
2022-01-20 04:02:29 UTC
Post by Lenona
(She was born in New Delhi, India. Her partner, since the 1980s, has been
comedian Kate Clinton, who is now 74. I remember seeing Clinton on stage,
talking about visiting India with Vaid.)
I remember Kate Clinton. She would begin her standup by introducing
herself as Bill Clinton's lesbian sister. (The rest of her act was
about that funny.)

As a writer, she scabbed for the Smothers Brothers Show during a WGA
strike. She and the other scabs wore masks and sang "Ghost Writers in
Disguise" (to the tune of guess-what) at the start of the first scab
show.
Lenona
2022-01-20 04:21:30 UTC
I remember Kate Clinton. She would begin her standup by introducing
herself as Bill Clinton's lesbian sister. (The rest of her act was
about that funny.)
I'll admit that after a few decades of watching comedians of all types, pretty much NONE of them can make me laugh out loud anymore. I'm too jaded.

But she's better than what you implied. Even if she WAS heavily topical, as so many are. She's simply low-key, and there's a place for that.

I'm reminded of when Roald Dahl was grossly unfair to C.S. Lewis. Dahl made a well-known fictional character of his say that she liked the Narnia Chronicles, but, she complained: "there are no funny bits in his books."

Excuse me? Anyone who'd old enough to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe without adult help should be mature enough to appreciate low-key humor - and there's a good deal of that in EVERY book in the series. No, there are no belly laughs - but how often WERE there belly laughs in 1950s British children's literature?