Willie McCovey, 80, SF Giants Baseball HoF
Add Reply
jdunlop
2018-11-01 00:29:36 UTC
ESPN is reporting that Willie McCovey, Hall of Fame first baseman, has died at 80. He played most of his career with the Giants, with a few years in San Diego, and a short stint in Oakland.
Alfalfa Bill
2018-11-01 01:38:06 UTC
Nuts. He was the perfect first baseman. Back when I was a yute and Cardinal fan he just killed us.
Michael OConnor
2018-11-01 14:25:00 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
Nuts. He was the perfect first baseman. Back when I was a yute and Cardinal fan he just killed us.
Stretch had the perfect build for a first baseman, tall and lean.

I remember all the hoopla when Michael Jordan quit the NBA to play minor league baseball, and while he was not a very good baseball player at that point in his life, had he focused on it from the time he was a child, he would have been an outstanding Major League ballplayer IMO due to his physique and skills. I always thought had he focused on baseball from childhood, Jordan would have had a career similar to Dave Winfield or Willie McCovey. Jordan was a great all-around athlete; there is no doubt he would have succeeded in baseball had it been his primary pursuit instead of basketball.

McCovey was one of a handful of players who played in four decades - 50's thru 80's.