Walter Scott Jr. 1931-2021
2021-09-26 06:07:52 UTC
Walter Scott Jr.,a Forbes-recognized billionaire who headed
Peter Kiewit Sons after Peter Kiewit,born in May 1931,died September
25th 2021 according to the Associated Press and others.

Coverage noted his service as a director of Berkshire Hathaway,
and I looked at their website and found this year's proxy statement.
It was interesting to note that among the directors reelected this
year,he was younger than chairman Warren Buffett (born 1930),
who was younger than David Gottesman(born 1926),who was younger
than Thomas Murphy(born 1925),who was younger than vice chairman
Charles Munger(born 1924).

radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-09-26 18:00:49 UTC
Well, Louis, the historically[-meticulous historian you are may have fumbled the Nebraska Cornhusker football on this one!

That is, while you cite the late Scott's years leading the mega-construction firm Kiewit (and might have even mentioned he was a childhood pal of Warren Buffett who joined his lifelong friend's Giving Pledge project in adulthood long after he already was already a generous billionaire philanthropist), you left out what to me is his most interesting distinction.

I mean, billionaires seem dime-a-dozen these days. But Louis, but there was only ONE who had (1) the personal interest in doing so and (2) the means to purchase the original Bill of Sale of the Louisiana Purchase! (That 1803 France-sold territory of course having included the region now occupied by Omaha, his home town and where Scott was both born and died.)

It's not clear who Scott bought it from nor how it became possible to purchase this Purchase relic; I wonder if someone had sifted it from a certain isolated house on St. Helena Island once cancer claimed Napoleon I on Saturday, May 5, 1821?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-09-26 18:11:01 UTC
Yet another report from The Department of Redundancy Department: That should have read, "the historically-meticulous fellow you are..."

I regret my error. And I regret it.

STYBLE/Florida
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-09-26 18:41:12 UTC
AND THAT, alas, was another dispatch from Moronsville:

After some reflection (amid various NFL silliness this Sunday aft), it occurred to me that Napoleon would NOT have had possession of said Bill of Sale, as he got the cash (or gold, or whatever was specifically tendered). Rather, it was JEFFERSON who would have the Bill of Sale (as well as, I suppose, a Deed translated from French).

So perhaps the late magnate' Scott's one-of-a-kind* document was first pilfered from Monticello!

STYBLE//Florida
* I'd adjectivally-employ "unique", but that word long ago lost its treasured semantic value--originally meaning "one-of-a-kind", but due to many decades of boneheaded misuse is nowadays also recognized as synonymous with "unusual". (But it SHOULDN'T be.)
Louis Epstein
2021-09-28 23:24:50 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
After some reflection (amid various NFL silliness this Sunday aft), it
occurred to me that Napoleon would NOT have had possession of said Bill of
Sale, as he got the cash (or gold, or whatever was specifically tendered).
Rather, it was JEFFERSON who would have the Bill of Sale (as well as, I
suppose, a Deed translated from French).
It is in any event unlikely that Bonaparte would have taken government
paperwork into exile.
Post by ***@gmail.com
STYBLE//Florida