R.G. Armstrong, 95, Actor in Westerns
2012-08-01 13:04:20 UTC
Photo at URL
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/arts/television/r-g-armstrong-character-actor-in-westerns-dies-at-95.html

July 31, 2012
R. G. Armstrong, Character Actor in Westerns, Dies at 95
By DANIEL E. SLOTNIK

R. G. Armstrong Jr., a rough-hewed character actor known for playing sheriffs, outlaws and other macho roles, died on Friday at his home in Studio City, Calif. He was 95.

His death was confirmed by his daughter Robbie Armstrong-Dunham.

Mr. Armstrong’s five-decade career took off with guest spots on virtually all the popular Western television shows of the 1950s and ’60s, including “Have Gun — Will Travel” and “Gunsmoke.”

After meeting the writer and director Sam Peckinpah on the set of his 1960 series “The Westerner,” Mr. Armstrong became a regular in his films, playing an outspoken Christian fundamentalist in “Ride the High Country,” with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; a minister in “Major Dundee,” with Charlton Heston in the title role; and a vicious deputy sheriff alongside Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan (in a small role) in “Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.”

Departing from westerns, Mr. Armstrong performed with James Earl Jones in “The Great White Hope” and with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the alien-thriller “Predator.” He appeared on innumerable non-western television shows like “The Twilight Zone” and “The Andy Griffith Show,” and was a favorite of Warren Beatty’s. Mr. Beatty cast him in the films “Heaven Can Wait,” “Reds” and as Pruneface in “Dick Tracy.”

Robert Golden Armstrong Jr. was born on April 7, 1917, in Birmingham, Ala. He graduated from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and moved to New York to attend Lee Strasberg’s Actors Studio in the mid-1950s. That led him to parts in Elia Kazan’s original production of Tennessee Williams’s “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” in 1955 (as Dr. Baugh) and in other Broadway shows like “Orpheus Descending” and “The Miracle Worker” before heading for Hollywood’s television studios.

Besides his daughter Robbie, Mr. Armstrong, who was married three times, is survived by two other daughters from his first marriage, Laurie Nell and Daryl Armstrong; a son, Wynn; a daughter from an earlier relationship, Betty; and five grandchildren.

© 2012 The New York Times Company
Terry del Fuego
2012-08-02 01:32:03 UTC
Post by Diner
R. G. Armstrong Jr., a rough-hewed character actor known for playing
sheriffs, outlaws and other macho roles, died on Friday at his home
in Studio City, Calif. He was 95.
After watching "A Face in the Crowd" I was trying to find out if
Stanley Adams had a bit part. I still don't know, but looking turned
up the tidbit that R. G. Armstrong appears uncredited.

<http://imayberrycommunity.com/forum/topics/r-g-armstrong-tags-farmer-flint-95?xg_source=activity>
says that Armstrong and Andy Griffith were close friends and worked
together on at least two other occasions.
Brad Ferguson
2012-08-02 02:46:14 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
After watching "A Face in the Crowd" I was trying to find out if
Stanley Adams had a bit part.
I've just zipped through it. One of the extras in the Cracker Barrel
Show looks something like Stanley Adams, but it's not he. (I have
screen grabs if you need to see them.) I didn't see any sign of him
anywhere else.
Terry del Fuego
2012-08-02 12:26:03 UTC
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:46:14 -0400, Brad Ferguson
Post by Brad Ferguson
I've just zipped through it. One of the extras in the Cracker Barrel
Show looks something like Stanley Adams, but it's not he.
Sounds like we're talking about the same guy. Moustache, right?
Whoever he is, he looks familiar. For something of that vintage, that
usually means I've seen him/her on either "Star Trek" or "Perry
Mason".

Thanks for the sanity check!
Brad Ferguson
2012-08-02 13:21:02 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
I've just zipped through it. One of the extras in the Cracker Barrel
Show looks something like Stanley Adams, but it's not he.
Sounds like we're talking about the same guy. Moustache, right?
Whoever he is, he looks familiar. For something of that vintage, that
usually means I've seen him/her on either "Star Trek" or "Perry
Mason".
Thanks for the sanity check!
No problem. Me, I got to see the ending of A Face in the Crowd again,
and that was reward enough.
Brian
2012-08-03 01:51:07 UTC
Post by Diner
[...]
My wife and I both thought that he and Fred Thompson looked very
similar.
p***@gmail.com
2018-02-26 13:08:18 UTC
I also think Thompson and Armstrong look very much alike although Thompson is (was) 25 years younger. They were both born in Alabama about 123 miles apart. Can'the help but wonder if they are (were) related.