Tyler Skaggs, 27, L.A. Angels pitcher
Add Reply
Rick B.
2019-07-01 22:06:04 UTC
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tyler-skaggs-angels-dies-texas-statement-20190701-story.html

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs has died at age 27
By Mike DiGiovanna
Jul 01, 2019 | 2:50 PM| ARLINGTON, Texas

The Angels announced Monday that pitcher Tyler Skaggs died. The team was
scheduled to begin a series against the Texas Rangers in Arlington, but
the game has been canceled.

The Southlake, Texas, police department released the following statement:
"[Monday] at 2:18 p.m. CDT the Southlake Police Department responded to a
call of an unconscious made in a room in the Hilton hotel at 1400 Plaza
Place. Officers arrived and found the male unresponsive, and he was
pronounced deceased at the scene."

The statement went on to say that no foul play is suspected and an
investigation is ongoing.

"It is with great sorrow that we report Tyler Skaggs passed away earlier
today in Texas," the Angels said in a statement.

"Tyler has, and always will be, an important part of the Angels Family.
Our thoughts and prayers are with his

wife Carli and his entire family
during this devastating time.

"There are no other details at this time, please keep Tyler's family in
your thoughts and prayers."

The Angels' clubhouse did not open Monday, although the Rangers had
already begun a news conference when the news of Skaggs' death broke:
"There were a lot of pretty emotional guys in (the clubhouse)," Rangers
manager Chris Woodward said. "Some guys knew him . Some guys who didn't
even know him were physically shaken. It's heartbreaking. You could tell
our guys were pretty upset."

Skaggs, 27, attended Santa Monica High School. He had been one of the
Angels gels' most reliable pitchers this season, going 7-7 with an ERA of
4.29 in 79 2/3 innings.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred issued the following statement: "I am deeply
saddened by today's tragedy in Texas. All of us at Major League Baseball
extend our deepest condolences to Tyler's wife, Carli, their family, their
friends and all of his Angels' teammates and colleagues. We will support
the Angels' organization through this most difficult period, and we will
make a variety of resources available to Tyler's teammates and other
members of the baseball family."

Skaggs was a first-round draft pick of the Angels in 2009. He was traded
to the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2010 along with Joe Saunders, Patrick
Corbin and Rafael Rodriguez for Dan Haren and made his major league debut
in 2012.
d***@gmail.com
2019-07-01 22:40:48 UTC
Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs dead at 27

Skaggs pitched against the Oakland Athletics on Saturday. It was not immediately clear what the cause...

Sounds like an “accidental overdose”.
Michael OConnor
2019-07-02 01:22:09 UTC
It could be a stroke, or a heart attack in his sleep, similar to what killed baseball player Darryl Kile about 15 years ago, when it was found he had two arteries that were 90 percent blocked.
d***@gmail.com
2019-07-02 16:23:00 UTC

You’re right. Jon Dorenbos was also clogged up. It could be genetic or just bad eating. If you saw what Beth Chapman ate.... makes you wonder what people have against their own bodies.
j***@gmail.com
2019-08-30 20:40:03 UTC
Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs used opioids and alcohol, died by choking on vomit, autopsy says

By Jamie Gumbrecht, CNN
Updated 4:20 PM ET, Fri August 30, 2019
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/30/health/tyler-skaggs-autopsy-opioids-death/index.html

(CNN)Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died by choking on vomit after using drugs and alcohol, according to the Tarrant County, Texas, medical examiner's office.

Opioids, including fentanyl, oxycodone and oxymorphone, were found in his system, as well as alcohol, according to toxicology results.

Skaggs, 27, was found dead at a Hilton hotel in Southlake, Texas, on July 1. The autopsy was performed the following day.

CNN has reached out to the Los Angeles Angels and Skaggs' family for comment.

CNN's Michael Nedelman contributed to this report.