Emitt Rhodes, 70, multi-instrumentalist singer/songwriter
Add Reply
Bryan Styble
2020-07-20 02:32:13 UTC
A popular disc jockey I interned for at WBZ-FM in 1974--remember Captain Ken Shelton, metro Bostonians?--replied, after I asked him if he was familiar with Rhodes's work, "You mean that McCartney lookalike and sound-alike?"

Actually, Rhodes was arguably a better songwriter--and I think clearly a more POLISHED one--than post 1975-McCartney.

Think I'll go pound out the catchy piano riff in "Down with My Face on the Floor" on my baby grand right now.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2020-07-20 02:50:46 UTC
Actually, I was adjectivally-imprecise above; I should have posited that the late Rhodes was clearly, to my ears at least, a more DISCIPLINED songwriter (and especially lyricist) than the post- (and often pre-!) 1975 McCartney.

(And I'm a longtime McCartney defender, but have always lamented his prodigious talents having been so routinely squandered on so many frivolous tunes, ditties, etc.)

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2020-07-24 00:39:18 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
A popular disc jockey I interned for at WBZ-FM in 1974--remember Captain Ken
Shelton, metro Bostonians?--replied, after I asked him if he was familiar with
Rhodes's work, "You mean that McCartney lookalike and sound-alike?"
Actually, Rhodes was arguably a better songwriter--and I think clearly a more
POLISHED one--than post 1975-McCartney.
Think I'll go pound out the catchy piano riff in "Down with My Face on the
Floor" on my baby grand right now.
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
What,no snark that the author of "Live" has died?
(I've only heard the Bangles version...
)