Dr. Darryl Babe Wilson, 74, in May 2014 (Native American writer/activist)
2015-06-10 00:32:56 UTC
Born in Fall River Mills, California, he lived in Tucson, Arizona.

His best known book is probably his 1998 memoir, "The Morning the Sun Went Down."

(I can't understand why I couldn't find this information about his death last fall!)

http://urbanwomanbacktoland.blogspot.com/2014_06_01_archive.html
(brief bio, with photo - scroll to the bottom)

He had seven sons.

In 2000, he had a stroke and used a wheelchair after that.

http://modocforum.org/modocfor/index.php/scholarship/darrylbabe
(about a scholarship offering scheduled for this September)

Excerpts:

-- He was born into the Achumawe and Atsugewi tribes (often call the Pit River Nation) of northeastern California.

-- He was a cultural and political activist who earned a Ph.D. from the University of Arizona at Tucson after graduating from UC Davis.

-- Author of the extraordinary autobiography "The Morning the Sun Went Down" (Heyday Books).

-- Co-editor of "Surviving in Two Worlds: Contemporary Native American Voices" (University of Texas Press).

-- He was deeply involved with the "Indian Wars" that swept the nation in the early 1970s, and was part of a group of Achumawe activists who occupied a portion of PG&E land at Big Bend in a futile attempt to regain their ancestral land.

-- Former faculty member in the Native American Studies at de Anza College, Cupertino and California State University, Hayward.

http://www.nativepeoples.com/Native-Peoples/January-February-1998/Frank-Day-Memories-and-Imagination/
(long 1998 article by Wilson about Konkow Maidu painter Frank Day)

http://planetsave.com/2008/07/21/wildfire-ecology-part-2-a-native-americans-thoughts-on-forest-fire/
(2008 article by Wilson on forest fires)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/darryl-babe-wilson/the-morning-the-sun-went-down/
(a positive Kirkus review of his memoir)

http://ka-cha.com/DR%20DARRYL%20BABE%20WILSON.htm
(1999 piece about his work)

http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n96072638/
(details about his books)

https://www.google.com/search?q=darryl+babe+wilson+books&biw=1920&bih=886&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI27iulOyDxgIViGOMCh01oQDu&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=%22darryl+babe%22+wilson+books
(some book covers and photos)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL147CB3875FACA176
(7-part video interview from 2011)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0rzBvAHabwC9XBpQNyGv8-z6XhqcAtb1
(5-part video interview, with stories: "...multi-episode series of Native American stories told by Dr. Darryl Babe Wilson. This episode (part 1) discusses life as a Native American growing up in the mountains of Shasta and Lassen in Northern California. He speaks of the family, environment, history, politics, values, survival and children.")

http://www.ancestralmedicine.org/voicesoftheearth
(24-minute video interview with Wilson and other elders)

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/37612
(podcast - "Dr. Wilson describes the Two Moons and delves into the Heart Mind. Dr. Darryl Babe Wilson is a scholar/poet and a political activist, a humorist and a storyteller. During a newspaper interview, he described himself as 'a dreamer and a storyteller'."

WRITINGS:

Wellen Auf Dem Meer Der Zeit (title means "Waves upon the Ocean of Time"), [France], 1974.

(Coeditor) Dear Christopher: Letters to Christopher Columbus by Contemporary Native Americans, Riverside Press, 1993.

("For the first time, Native Americans present their views about Christopher Columbus, the symbol of conquest. Through their letters, the authors address the meaning of Columbus' voyages to America & to individual tribes. They also discuss subsequent attacks on Native Americans & their communities, the resettlement of their lands whose views of the earth & its life differed dramatically from their own. Informative, challenging & often poignant.")

The Sound of Rattles and Clappers (six articles), University of Arizona Press, 1993.

Wilma Mankiller, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, Modern Curriculum Press (juvenile), 1995.

(With Lois Hogle) Voices from the Earth (anthology of Native American interviews), University of Texas Press, 1997.

Surviving in two worlds : contemporary Native American voices, 1997.

Remove them beyond the West, California, gold, 1997.

The Morning the Sun Went Down, (memoir) Heyday Books (Berkeley, CA), 1998.

Lenona.
m***@gmail.com
2016-05-31 17:17:58 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
I had tried to find information about Darryl Babe Wilson in the past, without success, and am saddened to learn of his passing. I worked with him in Tucson for a few years through a non-profit writing program that I had co-founded. I had the greatest respect and love for him. He was a wonderful being.
Kit McIlroy
k***@gmail.com
Dear Lenona, Thank you for posting this. I am shocked that I did not learn of his passing til now. I was very close with him and helped with 'Boss' & 'Hoss' for a few years in grad school when Babe was at Davis. The kids were just six when they were there, and we first met. He was an exceptional human being. I am ever grateful to have had his association during those Davis and Tucson years. I love him still. ~ Kerry
l***@yahoo.com
2016-06-26 19:31:43 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Dear Lenona, Thank you for posting this. I am shocked that I did not learn of his passing til now. I was very close with him and helped with 'Boss' & 'Hoss' for a few years in grad school when Babe was at Davis. The kids were just six when they were there, and we first met. He was an exceptional human being. I am ever grateful to have had his association during those Davis and Tucson years. I love him still. ~ Kerry
Glad to help, and I'm sorry you didn't know earlier.

Lenona.
b***@gmail.com
2017-03-22 03:21:00 UTC
Thank you for posting this, Lenona.

We met him through friends and were so touched he opened his stories to us.

We were able to interview "Lolo" Babe (our term for Grandfather) a few times. He was so glad to have his stories preserved, and four of them were posted on YouTube before he left us.

Here is the first of 4 videos:

We hope you enjoy hearing him again. :-)

Baylan Megino
e***@gmail.com
2018-08-03 14:09:37 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Hi,
In the Seventies Darryl went on an action in the dawn of Helsinki peace agreements in a delegation! They were our welcome guests in Langenthal in the Odenwald. In Heidelberg at the Stadthalle they were invited to demonstrate Native American traditionalism and went on to Barcelona. For several years Darryl and I followed a correspondence. I thank you for posting this sad news: my condolences.

Very truly yours

Ellen Luzy