P.J. Wise, Carter campaigner, friend
Hyfler/Rosner
2003-09-05 10:19:08 UTC
P.J. Wise, Carter campaigner, friend

BYLINE: J.E. GESHWILER

SOURCE: AJC

Years ago, P.J. Wise recognized qualities he admired in a young man from
their hometown of Plains. From the time Jimmy Carter first ran for the
Georgia Senate until his re-election bid as president of the United States,
Mr. Wise was a dedicated campaign worker, one of the founders of President
Carter's Peanut Brigade.

The funeral for Mr. Wise, 86, is 2 p.m. today at Plains Baptist Church. He
died Wednesday of pulmonary fibrosis at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in
Albany. Hancock Funeral Home in Americus is in charge of arrangements.

"P.J. was not only a true friend to Rosalynn and me but a great example of
how one man can make a tremendous impact in his own community," Carter said.
"We will remember him as a man of quiet, steadfast and sound judgment."

Mr. Wise founded the Plains Historical Society and took a leading role in
the town bank, its development corporation, its Lions Club and the county
library. "There was never a need in Plains or Sumter County that P.J. did
not respond to if he could help," said Boze Godwin, mayor of Plains.

An electrician and electrical contractor, Mr. Wise was the first president
of the Georgia Society of Hospital Engineers and served on a Georgia Senate
panel that wrote electrical safety regulations for hospitals.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Wise; two daughters, Gwen Wise of Plains
and Marilyn Phibbs of Greenville, N.C; a son, Philip J. Wise Jr. of Atlanta;
three sisters, Sarah Harris of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., and Edna Mae
Hendricks and Betty Albritton, both of Americus; two brothers, Morgan Wise
of Plains and Billy Wise of Brunswick; and two grandchildren.

GRAPHIC: Photo: P.J. Wise was the first president of the Georgia Society of
Hospital Engineers.
wade harris
2020-11-01 07:31:16 UTC
Post by Hyfler/Rosner
[...]
P.J Wise was my great uncle I am the first born grandson of William D (Billy) Wise.
My name is William Dean Cotter plz any information on how to get in contact with any living relatives would be greatly appreciated. I never knew anything about the legacy of my family
Daniel D. Staats
2021-05-17 14:32:11 UTC
P. J. was a cousin of mine. My grandmother was Georgia Francis Wise Staats. She was P.J.'s aunt. My contact email is ***@gmail.com