Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitarist Ed King Dead at 68 (Rolling Stone)
Bermuda999
2018-08-24 00:47:24 UTC
Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitarist Ed King Dead at 68
Rolling Stone
by Joseph Hudak

Ed King, the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist who give the band its three-guitar sound, has died at 68.

Ed King, the guitarist who joined the band in 1972 to give the Southern rock
group its iconic three-guitar sound, died Wednesday in Nashville. He was 68. A cause of death was not specified, though King had been battling lung cancer and had recently been hospitalized for the disease.

A message on King’s Facebook confirmed his death: “It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Ed King who died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22nd, 2018. We thank his many friends and fans for their love and support of Ed during his life and career

A California native, King was a founding member of the psychedelic Sixties band Strawberry Alarm Clock, known for their hit “Incense and Peppermints.” He offered to join Skynyrd when, opening for the band at the Jacksonville, Florida, bar the Comic Book Club in 1968, he heard them rehearsing the song “Need All My Friends.” It wasn’t until 1972, however, when King would sign on with Skynyrd, temporarily replacing bassist Leon Wilkeson and then becoming a full-fledged member as third guitarist.

King played on the band’s first three albums: 1973’s (Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd), 1974’s Second Helping and 1975’s Nuthin’ Fancy. He most famously co-wrote Second Helping‘s “Sweet Home Alabama” – that’s him counting off “1, 2, 3” in the song’s intro – which, along with “Free Bird,” has become synonymous with the group.

After a dust-up with singer Ronnie Van Zant, King, tired of the Skynyrd drama and propensity for fighting, exited the band in 1975, detailing the incident in the superb new documentary "If I Leave here Tomorrow"
.
“I’m the hippie from Southern California. I’m not digging the violence part,” King said, recounting how a broken string at a show in Pittsburgh earned him the wrath of the mercurial Van Zant. “Ronnie and my guitar roadie who changed my strings were thrown in jail in Ann Arbor. They didn’t arrive … until 10 minutes before we went on. I had to play on old strings and I
broke two strings during ‘Free Bird.’ After, Ronnie was riding me, and a lightbulb went off and I said, ‘That’s it.’ I went back to my room, packed up my stuff and left.”

King is a highlight of "If I Leave Here Tomorrow", offering keen firsthand insight into the Southern band as an outsider from California.

Guitarist Gary Rossington, the lone original member of the Lynyrd Skynyrd that tours today, quipped on King’s aloof, business-minded nature in the documentary. “He’d stop and buy $100 worth of Slim Jims and have him in a briefcase and, driving an hour or two, you get hungry, he’d sell them to us and triple the price,” he said.

Following King’s death, Rossington released a statement. “I’ve just found out about Ed’s passing and I’m shocked and saddened,” he said. “Ed was our brother, and a great songwriter and guitar player. I know he will be reunited with the rest of the boys in Rock and Roll Heaven. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

King was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006 as a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-ed-king-dead-at-68-714847/
That Derek
2018-08-24 14:09:24 UTC
Just yesterday (08/23/2018) before this news hit, I was speaking with my friend Melanie and somehow the conversation focused on psychedelically inspired band names from the late 1960s.

At one point, I suggested that somebody should put together an oldies tour comprised of the remaining members of VANILLA Fudge, The CHOCOLATE Watchband, and the STRAWBERRY Alarm Clock. Since peanut butter flavoured ice cream has been developed during the last fifty intervening years, throw in The PEANUT BUTTER Conspiracy.

Although, staging a tour with a bunch of septuagenarians might prove to be a rocky road.
RHDraney
2018-08-24 21:23:32 UTC
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups....r
MJ Emigh
2018-08-24 22:31:06 UTC
I suggested that somebody should put together an oldies tour comprised of the remaining members of VANILLA Fudge
The Fudge are still out there gigging. Only Tim Bogert is missing. A motorcycle accident several years ago has made it too painful to jump back into the rigors of touring at his age. Stein left for a while but is back and, seemingly, as good as ever. And nothing can slow Carmine down. Ever. Only death, I suppose. And who's the other guy? I can't remember, but he's there. Bogert's stand-in is very good, by the way.
Louis Epstein
2018-08-25 22:31:30 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
I suggested that somebody should put together an oldies tour comprised of the remaining members of VANILLA Fudge
The Fudge are still out there gigging. Only Tim Bogert is missing. A motorcycle accident several years ago has made it too painful to jump back into the rigors of touring at his age. Stein left for a while but is back and, seemingly, as good as ever. And nothing can slow Carmine down. Ever. Only death, I suppose. And who's the other guy? I can't remember, but he's there. Bogert's stand-in is very good, by the way.
Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker survive from Cream...

t***@iwvisp.com
2018-08-25 23:47:42 UTC
IIRC, Carmine is current touring/drumming with the latest version of The Rascals with Felx & Gene.

Ray Arthur
That Derek
2018-08-25 01:02:55 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?

Where's the beef?!
RHDraney
2018-08-25 02:12:37 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?
Where's the beef?!
He wasn't known at the time I first made up the list, but you could
substitute Meat Loaf for one of the others...earlier still (early 60s),
they told us there were seven basic food groups, so you could have
constructed a longer playlist....

Wild Cherry, Vanilla Ice, Black-Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Ambrosia, Peaches and Herb...the list goes on....r
Louis Epstein
2018-08-25 22:33:46 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by That Derek
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?
Where's the beef?!
He wasn't known at the time I first made up the list, but you could
substitute Meat Loaf for one of the others...earlier still (early 60s),
they told us there were seven basic food groups, so you could have
constructed a longer playlist....
Wild Cherry, Vanilla Ice, Black-Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Ambrosia, Peaches and Herb...the list goes on....r
You can't have such a banquet without the Platters!

MJ Emigh
2018-08-25 22:53:44 UTC
And if drinks are served, you'll certainly need Coasters.
RHDraney
2018-08-26 01:42:42 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by RHDraney
Post by That Derek
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?
Where's the beef?!
He wasn't known at the time I first made up the list, but you could
substitute Meat Loaf for one of the others...earlier still (early 60s),
they told us there were seven basic food groups, so you could have
constructed a longer playlist....
Wild Cherry, Vanilla Ice, Black-Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Ambrosia, Peaches and Herb...the list goes on....r
You can't have such a banquet without the Platters!
But they're not a food group...and I don't remember hearing any mention
of the four utensil groups....r
Louis Epstein
2018-08-26 06:03:08 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by RHDraney
Post by That Derek
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?
Where's the beef?!
He wasn't known at the time I first made up the list, but you could
substitute Meat Loaf for one of the others...earlier still (early 60s),
they told us there were seven basic food groups, so you could have
constructed a longer playlist....
Wild Cherry, Vanilla Ice, Black-Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Ambrosia, Peaches and Herb...the list goes on....r
You can't have such a banquet without the Platters!
But they're not a food group...and I don't remember hearing any mention
of the four utensil groups....r
Your food and service options are severely restricted without them.
Just how do you propose to have your Meat Loaf & Black-Eyed Peas?

RHDraney
2018-08-26 11:31:14 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by RHDraney
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by RHDraney
Post by That Derek
Post by RHDraney
Bread, Cream, Raspberries, Vanilla Fudge: the Four Food Groups
Four basic food groups?
Where's the beef?!
He wasn't known at the time I first made up the list, but you could
substitute Meat Loaf for one of the others...earlier still (early 60s),
they told us there were seven basic food groups, so you could have
constructed a longer playlist....
Wild Cherry, Vanilla Ice, Black-Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Ambrosia, Peaches and Herb...the list goes on....r
You can't have such a banquet without the Platters!
But they're not a food group...and I don't remember hearing any mention
of the four utensil groups....r
Your food and service options are severely restricted without them.
Just how do you propose to have your Meat Loaf & Black-Eyed Peas?
On a stick, like at the state fair...or in a squeeze tube, like the
astronauts....r