Carl Levin 1934-2021
2021-07-30 03:16:03 UTC
Michigan's Carl M. Levin,who spent 36 years in the United States Senate,has died at
87 years,one month,and one day of age on July 29th 2021 according to the Detroit
Free Press and others.
His brother Sander Levin(born 1931) spent 36 years in the United States House
and has been succeeded by his son.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-07-30 05:44:47 UTC
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-07-30 06:35:46 UTC
2021-07-30 07:38:20 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Actually, upon reflection, I believe Coleman Young's most regretted words were, "...you pimps and pushers".
Now I COULD quickly look it up to confirm his precise wording, but thinking about Detroit in general and Young in particular just gets me angry and depressed.*
STYBLE/Florida
______________________________________
* You see, I'm ALREADY too angry and depressed that Simone Biles got largely PRAISED--instead of hugely slammed--for quitting, citing obviously phonied-up "mental health" concerns. Clearly, Biles self-centeredly quit because, for whatever reasons, she just couldn't harness her formidable physical talents this week, and wanted to avoid closing out her Olympics career with a lousy performance. So instead Biles just immaturely and transparently copycatted that fellow-quitter Japanese tennis player. (Biles at least could have come up with her OWN false reason to chicken out; such lack of imagination does not speak well of her mind.). And all this DESPITE her twin immunities to well-earned criticism, i.e., her being (1) a young, petite female and (2) black.
She got nervous,and decided to dress it up.

2021-07-30 07:37:24 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Wow--I never realized Congressman [of the House] Levin was OLDER than
brother Congressman [of the Senate] Levin; he sure LOOKED younger, at
least to me, and served in the lower chamber, so I always thought of him
as the kid brother! Your posting cleared that up, and thus I thank you
for filling yet another gap in my knowledge base, Louis.
The older brother actually held elective office first,
but the younger one went to Washington first.
Post by ***@gmail.com
I managed to see the quite affable Carl up close in downtown in The
Murder City i.e. The Motor City one afternoon circa 1995 at some
official function or other I was attending, and after introducing
myself and chatting for a bit, he agreed to guest soon on
WJR/Detroit's "Open Lines for Open Minds with Bryan Styble", but I
never got around to scheduling him. Too late now, for more than one
reason.
Oh, and speaking of young-appearing Congresspeople from Michigan: I
also, at about the same time at a different public event during my
tenure on Michigan's commercial newstalk radio airwaves, got to meet
the late U.S. Representative John Dingell, also downtown in that
wretched* and (not at all incidentally) most-segregated big city in
America.
But that particular day in Detroit, Congressman Dingell--who was tall
enough to have played center for The Pistons, perhaps even 6'8"--was NOT
Per Google,USA Today says he was 6'4" and Newsweek that he was
6'3"...Senator Luther Strange of Alabama and Congressman Tom
McMillen of Maryland (both now out of office) I believe hold the
records for their respective houses at 6'9" and 6'11".
Post by ***@gmail.com
accompanied by his wife (and now Congressional successor), the widow
Debbie Dingell...which is a DARNED LUCKY thing for me, for theirs was
such a May-December marriage that I likely would have said something to
the effect of, "Nice to finally meet you, Congressman--and I guess this
must be your daughter Debbie?"
27 years...Tony Randall and Pablo Casals,among others,married women
younger by far greater margins.
Post by ***@gmail.com
* A slogan painted in HUGE LETTERS on a building on the east side of
Woodward Avenue--Motown's main drag--right before you "hit** 8 Mile
Road"
How high do the Mile Roads go,anyway?
Post by ***@gmail.com
and leave the city limits to enter the generally lily-white
suburbs--implored all northbound motorists to "Say Nice Things About
Detroit!" To which I always said to myself after crossing 8 Mile,
"Well, it sure IS a nice thing that I didn't get a bullet through my
brain during this visit to Detroit!"
** That's an allusion to the most famous quote of the late Mayor
Coleman Young, whom I also only met only once, also downtown. (But I
DID attend both his final inauguration as well as his TERRIBLY
OVERWROUGHT funeral; well, it WAS Detroit after all, so I should have
anticipated that degree of puerile emotionalism by all those sobbing
mourners who probably never met him and may not have even gone to the
trouble of going to the polling place to vote for him.) Anyway, in
Young's FIRST inaugural address in 1968, he infamously told the crowd,
"OK you pimps and addicts, it's time to hit 8 Mile Road!", which the new
mayor would always CLAIM meant "I'm going to clean up Detroit"...but
which nearly every white voter in Greater Detroit took to mean, "OK all
you black criminals, now it's time to go prey on the whites who live up
in the affluent, northern neighborhoods."
2021-07-31 04:17:34 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by ***@gmail.com
Wow--I never realized Congressman [of the House] Levin was OLDER than
brother Congressman [of the Senate] Levin; he sure LOOKED younger, at
least to me, and served in the lower chamber, so I always thought of him
as the kid brother! Your posting cleared that up, and thus I thank you
for filling yet another gap in my knowledge base, Louis.
The older brother actually held elective office first,
but the younger one went to Washington first.
Checking details,when Carl first ran for Detroit City Council,
his brother was already Minority Leader of the State Senate,
and during Carl's tenure on the Council Sander was the unsuccessful
Democratic nominee for Governor twice.