Bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs dies at age 88
Matthew Kruk
2012-03-29 03:25:02 UTC
http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/11586812-418/bluegrass-legend-earl-scruggs-dies-at-age-88.html

Bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs dies at age 88
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Modified: Mar 28, 2012 07:26PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Bluegrass legend and banjo pioneer Earl Scruggs, who
teamed helped profoundly change country music with Bill Monroe and later with
guitarist Lester Flatt, has died. He was 88.

Scruggs' son Gary said his father passed away Wednesday morning at a Nashville,
Tenn., hospital. Gary Scruggs said his father died of natural causes.

The elder Scruggs was an innovator who pioneered modern banjo sound. His use of
three fingers rather than the clawhammer style elevated the banjo from a part of
the rhythm section - or a comedian's prop - to a lead instrument.

His string-bending and lead runs became known worldwide as "the Scruggs picking
style." It was perhaps most prominently displayed on the iconic theme from "The
Beverly Hillbillies."

Gary Scruggs says funeral plans are incomplete.

Copyright © 2012 - Sun-Times Media, LLC
R H Draney
2012-03-29 06:13:18 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Bluegrass legend and banjo pioneer Earl Scruggs, who
teamed helped profoundly change country music with Bill Monroe and later with
guitarist Lester Flatt, has died. He was 88.
And there's my hit number three for the year...I'm guessing this one's *not* a
solo....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Brad Ferguson
Trio. Check the site.
R H Draney
2012-03-29 19:50:23 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by R H Draney
And there's my hit number three for the year...I'm guessing this one's *not* a
solo....r
Trio. Check the site.
I did, a few minutes after posting, to find that the update had already been
added to the marquee....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Brad Ferguson
2012-03-29 19:58:45 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by R H Draney
And there's my hit number three for the year...I'm guessing this one's *not* a
solo....r
Trio. Check the site.
I did, a few minutes after posting, to find that the update had already been
added to the marquee....r
There's a whole science to this, but I update the Hits and Standings
pages as soon as I see a hit, because it only takes a few minutes. If
I have time, I do the graphics, too. I did all the Earl stuff right
away, but the Warren Stevens graphics are going to have to wait. (The
stats for Warren went up last night, though.)

I've started time-stamping the Hits and Standings pages, which ought to
help.
R H Draney
2012-04-02 21:32:54 UTC
And there's my hit number three for the year...I'm guessing this one's *n=
ot* a
solo....r
http://ao-deadpool.com/updates/2012/2012_hits.html
Does kind of wipe out the streak I had going, and some of my others are obscure
enough that it could have gone that way...what's the highest year-end score on
record consisting entirely of solos?...r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Brad Ferguson