Naya Rivera, 44, TV actress/singer (Glee) - drowning
2020-07-13 22:12:55 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/naya-rivera-dead-glee-star-was-33-1302578

TV

Naya Rivera, Santana Lopez on 'Glee,' Declared Dead at 33

2:06 PM PDT 7/13/2020
by Abid Rahman , Lesley Goldberg

The actress was considered missing since Wednesday after going on a boat ride with her son.

Naya Rivera, who played Santana Lopez on the wildly popular Fox musical series Glee, was declared dead Monday. She was 33.

The Ventura County Sheriff's Department said that the actress went missing Wednesday after going boating in Lake Piru, California, with her 4-year-old son, Josey. After her son was found on the boat alone, authorities initiated a search for Rivera led by a team of divers. Investigators believed she drowned in a "tragic accident," and the sheriff's department noted Monday morning via Twitter that a body had been found. Later Monday, authorities reiterated to the media they did not suspect foul play nor do they believe she purposely tried to hurt herself. Sheriff William Ayub offered his condolences to the family and fans of Rivera.

After starting her career at age 4 on CBS' short-lived comedy Royal Family, Rivera broke out in 2009 on Ryan Murphy's mega-hit Glee. With the show since its pilot, she started out in a recurring guest role as snarky cheerleader Santana before being promoted to the full-time cast a year later.

Santana became a fan favorite after diehard Glee fans picked up on the chemistry between Rivera's character and ditzy fellow cheerleader Brittany, played by dancer Heather Morris. The couple, dubbed "Brittana," would become icons for lesbian representation on television as Rivera, along with the rest of the central Glee castmembers, rocketed to stardom as part of a worldwide phenomenon.

As Glee-mania broke out across the globe with live concert tours, a slew of TV awards and best-selling soundtracks, castmembers including Rivera also saw their solo musical careers blossom. In 2011, she signed as a solo artist with Columbia Records — the label behind the show's soundtracks — and released her first single.

Rivera's debut "Sorry" was released in September 2013 and featured rapper Big Sean. The two began dating and got engaged that year but ended their relationship months later. Despite her deal with Columbia, Rivera never released a solo album.

After Glee, Rivera had a recurring role on the Lifetime drama series Devious Maids. She most recently starred opposite Ne-Yo on the TV update of Step Up, which recently moved from its former home at YouTube to premium cable network Starz for its second season. On Step Up, Rivera played Collette Jones, an administrator at the show's prestigious High Water Performing Arts School.

Born in Santa Clarita, California, Rivera lived in the Los Angeles area for most of her life. Her father, George, is a retired actor, and her mother, Yolanda, a former model. Her younger brother, Mychal, has played for the NFL's Oakland Raiders and Jacksonville Jaguars, and her younger sister, Nickayla, is a runway model.

Though much of Rivera's success was in television, she did have a sporadic film career. In 2014, she starred in At the Devil's Door, her first leading role in a feature. The horror film, directed by Nicholas McCarthy, premiered at South by Southwest and featured the actress as Vera, a woman investigating the death of her sister. She also starred in the 2017 comedy Mad Families.

In 2016, Rivera released a tell-all memoir titled Sorry Not Sorry: Dreams, Mistakes and Growing Up, in which she recounted her career, particularly her time on Glee.

Rivera had her son with former husband Ryan Dorsey, an actor.
That Derek
2020-07-13 22:14:31 UTC
CORRECTION: 33, not 44.
Louis Epstein
2020-07-13 23:57:23 UTC
CORRECTION: 33, not 44.
So correct the header...

2020-07-14 00:25:35 UTC
CORRECTION: 33, not 44.
"It was my understanding that there would be no math"
-- Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford, SNL 1976.

....r
d***@gmail.com
2020-07-14 00:43:14 UTC
I don’t understand
why she didn’t use
life jackets in the
boat.

Poor little boy has
lost his mom. 😢
l***@yahoo.com
2020-07-16 21:20:36 UTC
I wonder about the life jackets, too.

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,437046

First post:

cfdavep says:

I was talking to my uncle about this case and asked him how someone could be silly enough to jump of a rented boat with no life jacket and no knowledge that an un-anchored boat can float away. I think she thought bigger boats stay where they are

He said "Well she died saving her kid's life" I told him I realize that and it was the least she could do to fight to save the kid from her decisions as she was the adult that took him out there. He said "Well she just made a mistake, just like the time you and DH went out in too much chop in your kayaks years ago"

This guy is the type who will crap on anyone who misses one detail that gets them in trouble out in the world and never lets them forget it, but when a moo dies saving her kid after breaking a bunch of basic safety rules then suddenly she is a victim who "made a mistake"

She died, I guess doing what a "woman is supposed to do" giving up her life for her kid and that seemed to absolve her of being called a dumbass like the rest of us, but if it was a CF couple or a single person who did the exactly same foolish things then they would be laughed at all the way to the cemetary

I guess moos are allowed to get away with being dumb and ditzy if you can relate to them.

(end)
Millard Fillmore
2020-07-16 22:14:05 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Is it at all possible that the kid fell into the water and she jumped
in after him, in order to save him?

I won't go out on a boat without wearing a life jacket. I wish she'd
done the same.

Adam H. Kerman
2020-07-14 04:06:29 UTC
Sheriff's police are now saying that the boy told them she had put him
into the boat. Other stories have said that Lake Piru can be deceptively
strong and people underestimate their ability to swim. Apparently they
were both overcome but she had enough strength to rescue her son.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-naya-rivera-dead-20200713-6jla7sxzfvcszistr4ijt765z4-story.html

Santana died a hero, it seems.