Jim Pash, guitarist on "Wipe Out", dies
d***@comcast.net
2005-05-06 18:32:20 UTC
Surfari "Wipe Out" guitarist Jim Pash dies at 56

Musical legend part of beach-music wave of the '60s

By Sara A. Carter
Staff Writer

RANCHO CUCAMONGA - Friends, fans and family will gather Monday to pay
homage to a musician who helped define the California surf sound of the
1960s.
Jim Pash, a founding member of The Surfaris, died of congestive heart
failure at his Yucca Valley home April 29. Pash was awaiting a liver
transplant when he died at age 56.

Pash's band recorded "Wipe Out" and "Surfer Joe" in tiny Pal Recorders,
a $12.50-an-hour studio in what was then Cucamonga in late 1962.

Producer Jim Facey, a friend of Pash's, said the current incarnation of
The Surfaris held a fund-raiser in Los Angeles when Pash's medical
bills began mounting. Facey spoke to Pash a few weeks ago.

"It's like he knew his life was coming to an end," Facey said. "It was
like saying goodbye. Jim Pash is a great guitar legend, and we're all
going to miss him very much."

The Glendora band's single, "Wipe Out," was released in January 1963
and went to No. 2 on the pop charts. The instrumental opened with an
unearthly giggle followed by the phrase "Wipe out!"

Pash, however, did not attend the "Wipe Out" recording session. His
father forced the teenager to work at the family store that night,
Facey said.

The band formed in 1962 to play at a dance for Pomona Catholic Girls
School, according to Kent Crowley, a surf music historian from Rancho
Cucamonga. Crowley helped coordinate three concerts in Rancho Cucamonga
where the regrouped Surfaris played in the early 1990s.

The original five-member band had its ups and downs until finally
breaking up in the mid-1960s. Later, in the mid-1980s, Pash and former
lead guitarist Jim Fuller reformed The Surfaris with new band members,
while holding onto their original beach sound.

Fuller and Pash were the only original members in the new Surfaris.
Guitarist Bob Berryhill has his own version of the Surfaris, bassist
Pat Connolly is retired and drummer Ron Wilson died in 1989.

"In fact, Pash was still with the band until about three months ago
when it was difficult for him to speak and think clearly," Facey said.

Fuller and the five new band members will continue to play in the same
beach style Pash had always believed in, Facey said.

The last album Pash released was "Basic Tracks," in 2003.

"He was a bit of a perfectionist," Facey said, remembering the last
time Pash recorded in the studio. "He had hoped that we would continue
the true Surfari sound through the new band .. and that's what we plan
to do."

Pash is survived by his wife, Linda, and his two children.

A memorial service is planned for Monday at Wiefal & Sons Mortuary in
Yucca Valley.
cugina
2005-05-06 18:59:44 UTC
Then...how was he the "Wipe Out" guitarist??
Bill Schenley
2005-05-06 22:23:43 UTC
Post by cugina
Post by d***@comcast.net
Pash, however, did not attend the "Wipe Out"
recording session. His father forced the teenager
to work at the family store that night, Facey said.
Then...how was he the "Wipe Out" guitarist??
He wasn't. Jim Fuller and Bob Berryhill were the two guitarists.
Fuller played most of the lead. It was a three take song.

Pash had nothing to do with the recording ... although, he was
*supposed* to have played a sax line in the middle of the song.

Drummer Ron Wilson wrote the song as "Switch Blade," and he, along
with Berryhill, Fuller and bass player Pat Connolly, recorded it as
"Wipeout." The laugh and the spoken introduction was courtesy of the
producer, Dale Smallen.

"Wipeout" was recorded as the B-side to "Surfer Joe."

Jim Pash was a better sax and keyboard player than he was a guitar
player. In the obituary ... Jim Facey referred to Pash as a "great
guitar legend" ... That was like ... Huh?
J.D. Baldwin
2005-05-06 23:59:50 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Jim Pash was a better sax and keyboard player than he was a guitar
player. In the obituary ... Jim Facey referred to Pash as a "great
guitar legend" ... That was like ... Huh?
I scratched my head over that one, too. Even if he played the
"Wipeout" guitar (which I now know he didn't, thanks to you lot),
there's nothing all that special about it. It's fun, it's catchy as
hell, and I love it a lot, but it ain't Art.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
Bill Schenley
2005-05-08 23:11:54 UTC
Even if he played the "Wipeout" guitar (which I
now know he didn't, thanks to you lot), there's
nothing all that special about it. It's fun, it's catchy
as hell, and I love it a lot, but it ain't Art.
Yeah ... It's not much more than a finger exercise ... but it was
great. In the mid-60s ... every 13-14-year-old kid who mastered it
... thought they were about to become the next Django Reinhardt.

For (IMO) the coolest version of "Wipeout" ... check out Dick Dale and
Stevie Ray Vaughn's. They recorded several other *surf* tunes ...
like, "Pipeline," "Catch A Ride," "California Sun," "Sun, Sun, Sun"
and "Wolly Bully." Cool stuff. They also did a pretty spiffy
"Miserlou," "Ghost Riders" and "Nitro" ... although I'm not sure if
the last three were ever released.
Loki
2005-05-08 23:18:32 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Even if he played the "Wipeout" guitar (which I
now know he didn't, thanks to you lot), there's
nothing all that special about it. It's fun, it's catchy
as hell, and I love it a lot, but it ain't Art.
Yeah ... It's not much more than a finger exercise ... but it was
great. In the mid-60s ... every 13-14-year-old kid who mastered it
... thought they were about to become the next Django Reinhardt.
For (IMO) the coolest version of "Wipeout" ... check out Dick Dale and
Stevie Ray Vaughn's. They recorded several other *surf* tunes ...
like, "Pipeline," "Catch A Ride," "California Sun," "Sun, Sun, Sun"
and "Wolly Bully." Cool stuff. They also did a pretty spiffy
"Miserlou," "Ghost Riders" and "Nitro" ... although I'm not sure if
the last three were ever released.
I know that Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn recorded Pipeline, but
have not heard about any of the others.

Do you know what CD(s) they might be on?

Loki

If you want to show support to our troops,
you can get some ideas of how to do so at:
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

I encourage everyone to check it out,
respond from the heart, and pass it
along to anyone you think may want
to remember our troops throughout the year.
Bill Schenley
2005-05-09 01:00:35 UTC
Post by Loki
Post by Bill Schenley
For (IMO) the coolest version of "Wipeout" ...
check out Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn's.
They recorded several other *surf* tunes ...
like, "Pipeline," "Catch A Ride," "California Sun,"
"Sun, Sun, Sun"and "Wolly Bully." Cool stuff.
They also did a pretty spiffy "Miserlou," "Ghost
Riders" and "Nitro" ... although I'm not sure if
the last three were ever released.
I know that Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn
recorded Pipeline, but have not heard about any of
the others.
Do you know what CD(s) they might be on?
I don't know ... I have them on reel tape ... (raw studio recordings)
that a friend sent me in the early 90s. I think they were part of a
soundtrack session that Dick Dale did ... but I'm not sure.

Pretty sure you can rip their "Wipeout."

Not that *I'd* ever do that ...
Loki
2005-05-09 01:30:24 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by Loki
Post by Bill Schenley
For (IMO) the coolest version of "Wipeout" ...
check out Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn's.
They recorded several other *surf* tunes ...
like, "Pipeline," "Catch A Ride," "California Sun,"
"Sun, Sun, Sun"and "Wolly Bully." Cool stuff.
They also did a pretty spiffy "Miserlou," "Ghost
Riders" and "Nitro" ... although I'm not sure if
the last three were ever released.
I know that Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn
recorded Pipeline, but have not heard about any of
the others.
Do you know what CD(s) they might be on?
I don't know ... I have them on reel tape ... (raw studio recordings)
that a friend sent me in the early 90s. I think they were part of a
soundtrack session that Dick Dale did ... but I'm not sure.
Pretty sure you can rip their "Wipeout."
Not that *I'd* ever do that ...
They recorded Pipeline for the Back To The Beach soundtrack, and it is
classic. I would pay a small fortune for a CD of the others you
mentioned.

m***@gmail.com
2019-11-08 08:26:04 UTC
I am Jim's blood niece Michaela Pash, he is my fathers brother.my father is edward Michael Pash their sister Loretta ingraham.I didnt know him personally but he did raise my half sister amy Pash who I met a few years ago and witnessed her have her baby.My brother and sister and self akd loretta and Jim's children are some of the last living relatives of Jim pash..most if my family on Jim's side died before the age 49..Jim brother Edward who is my father died ingestion of methenfedamine in Colorado born feburary 7th 1964 died January13th..my son his grandbaby never got to meet him born feb 23rd..
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-08 22:54:59 UTC
I am Jim's blood niece Michaela Pash, he is my fathers brother.my father is edward Michael Pash their sister Loretta ingraham.I didnt know him personally but he did raise my half sister amy Pash who I met a few years ago and witnessed her have her baby.My brother and sister and self akd loretta and Jim's children are some of the last living relatives of Jim pash..most if my family on Jim's side died before the age 49..Jim brother Edward who is my father died ingestion of methenfedamine in Colorado born feburary 7th 1964 died January13th..my son his grandbaby never got to meet him born feb 23rd..

I am sorry for your loss. The folks who don’t understand the significance of WIPEOUT, I guess you had to be there.

Loss of a very talented man 😢
Michael OConnor
2019-11-09 01:50:28 UTC
And not only was it a great guitar song, it was also a great drum song, surely the greatest drum song of the pre-hard rock era. So many hard rock drummers no doubt took up drumming after listening to "Wipeout"
MJ Emigh
2019-11-09 03:16:18 UTC
Not just the pros. I was in about 5th or 6th grade at the time and can't recall any males not banging it out on their desks. The two spread fingers with the desk between method seemed to work out best.
J.D. Baldwin
2005-05-06 19:05:03 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
The original five-member band had its ups and downs until finally
breaking up in the mid-1960s. Later, in the mid-1980s, Pash and former
lead guitarist Jim Fuller reformed The Surfaris with new band members,
while holding onto their original beach sound.
Fuller and Pash were the only original members in the new Surfaris.
Guitarist Bob Berryhill has his own version of the Surfaris, bassist
Pat Connolly is retired and drummer Ron Wilson died in 1989.
What's the story with that? Ron Wilson was working right up until he
died (his last recording was with Jonathan Richman on some of the
"Jonathan Richman" tracks, recorded that same year). Why wasn't he
invited to be in the new band? Wilson was a pretty fair vocalist --
maybe Pash didn't want the competition for the lead spot?
d***@comcast.net
2005-05-06 20:13:21 UTC
My 1963 Surfaris album shows 14 year old Jim Pash as the sax player!
cugina
2005-05-06 20:51:57 UTC
Soooo, who really played guitar on the recording of Wipeout?
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-08 22:50:30 UTC
My 1963 Surfaris album shows 14 year old Jim Pash as the sax player!

Wow! You are something!!!
DGH
2005-05-06 21:09:30 UTC
.

This is the only string of posts, ever, in alt.obituaries, where the
name "Pash" has appeared.
Bob Feigel
2005-05-06 23:10:26 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
Surfari "Wipe Out" guitarist Jim Pash dies at 56
Musical legend part of beach-music wave of the '60s
By Sara A. Carter
Staff Writer
RANCHO CUCAMONGA - Friends, fans and family will gather Monday to pay
homage to a musician who helped define the California surf sound of the
1960s.
Wipe Out was one of the few songs of that genre to actually be used in
surfing movies of the 60's. IIRC it was used in more than one and has
been used in more current surfing movies & videos. b

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>