Archival 2007 death: Bobby "Boris" Pickett, 69
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-10-16 12:54:22 UTC
I've never seem the late Pickett--who died from leukemia on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 in L.A. (and as it happened was nine days after the Virginia Tech massacre)--perform this onstage, so maybe this vid is new as well (to those herein interested).

To me this sounds identical to the released 1962 single, so I guess it's lip-synched. I would think trying to lip-synch a talkin' vocal like this is WAY more difficult than a song that's sung, and it's also an impression--two, actually-- which strikes me as even MORE difficult to synch. But it sure seems seamless.

And who's the Bandstand regular under the rubber mask whom Clark is chatting up?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
===================================

Lenona
2021-10-16 15:24:07 UTC
And here's the "Monster Swim"!

Musically, it's not as good. Lyrics-wise...quite impressive!

And, I found out there WAS a dance called the Swim, which is likely why Boris didn't name it "Monster Splash."
That Derek
2021-10-16 18:23:47 UTC
"Monster Mash" was Number One on Billboard the week that That Derek was born. There was something going on about missiles in Cuba contemporaneously.

I oncc saw Bobby Pickett performing "Monster Mash" at NYC's The Bottom Line as part of a Dr Demento package tour. He lost his ability to impersonate Boris Karloff after the song's first line.

Sheb Wooley tried out some jokes between songs and bombed big-time.
Louis Epstein
2021-10-16 23:00:00 UTC
"Monster Mash" was Number One on Billboard the week that That Derek was born. There was something going on about missiles in Cuba contemporaneously.
I oncc saw Bobby Pickett performing "Monster Mash" at NYC's The Bottom Line as part of a Dr Demento package tour. He lost his ability to impersonate Boris Karloff after the song's first line.
Sheb Wooley tried out some jokes between songs and bombed big-time.
At the time of his death,Pickett's website claimed that he could still
be dug up to perform a medley of his hit.
Has anyone had success doing so since?

Marc Catone
2021-10-17 02:23:38 UTC
Post by Lenona
And here's the "Monster Swim"!
http://youtu.be/KSZD45fXTek
Musically, it's not as good. Lyrics-wise...quite impressive!
And, I found out there WAS a dance called the Swim, which is likely why Boris didn't name it "Monster Splash."
The Monster Mash was released in 1962. The Swim (Bobby Freeman) came out two years later in 1964.