2019 Emmy "In Memoriam" obit reel -- save your time watching it!
2019-09-23 16:27:54 UTC

Halsey (whoever she is) accompanies with Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."

Includees (on-air personages except where noted):

John Singleton (director)
Doris Day
Jan-Michael Vincent
Andre Previn
Cokie Roberts (What a quick turn-around!)
Sid Sheinberg (exec)
Gloria Vanderbilt
Tony Askins (cinematographer)
James Frawley (director; primarily for the Monkees)
Ron Miller (exec)
Christopher Knopf (screenwriter)
Steve Colin (producer)
Cameron Boyce
Nancy Wilson
Larry Siegel (screenwriter)
Peggy Lipton
John Falsey (screenwriter)
Kristoff St. John
Lou Weiss (exec)
Sharon Taylor (production supervisor)
Roy Clark
Tony Lynn (producer)
Emetta T. Boone (screenwriter)
Katherine Helmond
Arte Johnson
Tim Conway
Tim Sullivan (producer)
Rutger Hauer
Sy Tomasheff (production designer)
Kevin Barnett (screenwriter/producer)
Russell Kagan (producer/exec)
Semour Casell
Bob Einstein
Penny Marshall
Georgia Engel
Luke Perry
Ken Berry
Valerie Harper
Peter Fonda
Stan Lee (producer)
Albert Finney
Rip Torn
Carol Channing

NOT INCLUDEDinnowaycomprehensive):
Peter Tork
Beverly Owen
Norman Gimble (TV The-song composer)
Sander Vanocur
Herb Ellis
Tom Williams (Dragnet producer)
Morgan Woodward
Carlos "El Exigente" Sanchez
Ken Kercheval
Barbara Perry
Mean Gne Okerlund
King Kong Bundy
Mitzi Hoag
Nathaniel Taylor
Tom Hatten
Marshall Brodien
Richard Erdman
Noah Keen
Charles Van Doren
Carmelita Pope
Maury Laws (composer for TV Christmas specials)
Daryl "The Captain" Dragon
Sylvia Chase
Bradkey Bolke (cartoon voiceman)
Russell Baker
Julie Adams
David Horowitz
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-23 16:34:28 UTC
You were needed to do the job “right”!
Michael OConnor
2019-09-23 16:56:53 UTC
I don't understand the logic for putting Gloria Vanderbilt on the Emmys obit reel. Also, I think Rutger Hauer and Peter Fonda and Albert Finney were more movie people who will be honored at the Oscars and should have been passed over for more deserving TV people who were overlooked.
Diner
2019-09-23 17:20:38 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I don't understand the logic for putting Gloria Vanderbilt on the Emmys obit reel. Also, I think Rutger Hauer and Peter Fonda and Albert Finney were more movie people who will be honored at the Oscars and should have been passed over for more deserving TV people who were overlooked.
You could make an argument for Hauer, Fonda and Finney - Finney was an Emmy winner, and Hauer and Fonda were both Emmy-nominated (and they both won Golden Globes for their Emmy-nominated roles). Though their nominations were all for TV movies, not series.

But yes, people like Peter Tork and Ken Kercheval (to name just two from Derek's excellent list) were actual TV stars, and deserved precedence.
That Derek
2019-09-23 17:22:10 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
You were needed to do the job “right”!
Oh, pshaw!

Thanks.
David Carson
2019-09-23 22:35:57 UTC
http://youtu.be/7HorGVpqI0Y
[...]
Max Wright
Jim Fowler
Russi Taylor
Leon Redbone (he's less of a stretch than Gloria Vanderbilt)
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
A Friend
2019-09-24 02:12:40 UTC
http://youtu.be/7HorGVpqI0Y
Andre Previn
It turns out that the pic of the deceased Andre Previn was actually of
the still-living Leonard Slatkin.

The Emmys Mourned André Previn With a Photo of Leonard Slatkin

Previn's death was commemorated in the show's in memoriam montage, but
a photo of a living composer and conductor was shown on air.

By Julia Jacobs
Sept. 23, 2019
Updated 6:15 p.m. ET

The Emmys in memoriam montage on Sunday sought to commemorate André
Previn, who died at age 89 in February. But the photo onscreen was of
another conductor entirely.

The man pictured on TV was Leonard Slatkin, who turned 75 this month
and is very much alive.

Mr. Slatkin tweeted about the mistake on Monday morning, writing,
"Andre deserved better."

Leonard Slatkin
@LeonardSlatkin
I saw that @theemmys posted a photo of me "In Memoriam" rather than
the intended Andre Previn. Andre deserved better. I had the opportunity
to introduce him when he received the @KCHonors. Perhaps he was paying
me back for a couple stories I told about him. Andre, R.I.P.

Previn was a jazz pianist, conductor and composer who wrote or arranged
the music for dozens of movies throughout his lifetime. His obituary
described him as an artist who "blurred the boundaries between jazz,
pop and classical music — and between composing, conducting and
performing — in an extraordinarily eclectic, award-filled career."

Throughout his life, Previn received six Emmy nominations, including
two for the public television series "Previn and the Pittsburgh,"
broadcast when he was the music director of the Pittsburgh Symphony
Orchestra. Previn received four Academy Awards. In 1961 alone, he was
nominated for three Oscars for the scores for "Elmer Gantry" and "Bells
Are Ringing" and the song "Faraway Part of Town" from the comedy
"Pepe."

Previn became a character in the celebrity gossip pages because of his
romance with the actress Mia Farrow, who left Frank Sinatra, her
husband, and married Previn after having an affair with him. The couple
divorced in 1979.

Mr. Slatkin is mostly known for his prolific career in conducting,
having led the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the St. Louis Symphony
Orchestra and the National Symphony Orchestra, among others. He remains
the music director laureate for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

A spokesman for the awards show provided a statement saying, "The
producers for the 71st Emmy Awards, the Television Academy and Fox
sincerely apologize for this error. All in memoriam mentions on the
Television Academy's website feature accurate imagery for Mr. Previn."

This is not the first time an awards show has mistaken a deceased
honoree for a living person. At the Oscars in 2017, the in memoriam
segment sought to honor Janet Patterson, an Australian costume
designer. Instead, they showed a picture of an Australian film
producer, Jan Chapman, who said at the time that she was "devastated by
the use of my image in place of my great friend and long-time
collaborator."

Because televised in memoriam segments on award shows have limited
time, there can be intense lobbying for the inclusion of some stars
leading up to the shows. To avoid ignoring some deaths entirely, the
Emmys created an online database several years ago that include short
biographies on people who were honored in the televised segment as well
as those who were not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/arts/television/leonard-slatkin-andre-
previn-emmys.html
Diner
2019-09-24 13:57:18 UTC
Other names missing from the obit reel (courtesy of James L. Neibaur's Twitter):

Kaye Ballard
James Karen
Philip Bosco
David Hedison
Michel Legrand
Donald Moffat
Scott Wilson
That Derek
2019-09-24 16:15:31 UTC
Because televised in memoriam segments on award shows have limited time,
Granted.

But why is it that my favourites ALWAYS get the short end of the "we can't include everybody" stick?