Dave Conners aka Dave Cummings, porn star and my friend, 79
Add Reply
MJ Emigh
2020-01-02 20:13:59 UTC
I only found out yesterday that Dave passed in October. Of probably almost 100 cousins, he's the only one I kept in touch with over the years. I knew he was dying but, never having met either of his kids, I was never notified.

Dave was more that the "World's Oldest Working Male Porn Star." He was older than me and I first started talking with him during Viet Nam. Dave had gone to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, which is seriously up there, apparently. Dave, the hawk and me, the hippie, debated for hours at a time. That cemented our friendship.

Along the way, Dave earned three degrees including a masters in public administration. Believe me, Dave was a bright guy.

When he was 55, and after we had lost touch with each other for several years, he was dating Marilyn Chambers, a then-popular porn queen. She suggested that he give porn a try. He did and made history in that kinda whacked-out profession. That's a pretty small world, not unlike the one I spent most of my life in, so they do lots of self-congratulating. He won loads of honors over the years. He became a legend in that strange world.

A couple of years ago, he told me that he was being treated for Alzheimer's. Both his brother and father (my favorite uncle, and I had 11 of them!) had already died as a result of it. Just like almost everyone on my mom's side of the family (including her). At 65, I'm starting to worry.

Conversations soon started going nowhere, and it was painful just trying to talk with him. I last spoke with him in August and he had no clue who I was.

I know that people judge people in that business harshly. Dave's death went unnoticed here but may have turned up at some point. That's why I wanted to post this. Dave was a whole lot more that what he'll be remembered for by most people.
Congoleum Breckenridge
2020-01-02 22:06:37 UTC
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/san-diego-ca/david-conners-8883373
MJ Emigh
2020-01-03 02:47:19 UTC
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the running club. They ran several miles several times weekly. He was into his 70s before he had to let it go due to the disease. Their tagline was "Beer drinkers with a running problem."
m***@gmail.com
2020-01-03 02:08:46 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
[...]
Very sorry to hear about Dave and his sad passing. Sure led an interesting non-conventional life. Heard him speak on a radio talk show and can certainly agree he was both intelligent and articulate. The disease of Alzheimer's (and any memory related disease) are horrible for the sufferer and the family alike.
Sorry for your loss.

Michael.
That Derek
2020-01-03 04:30:34 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Very sorry to hear about Dave and his sad passing. S
Ditto.

I've lost so many friends, as we all have.