Carol Lynley, 77, 1960s/70s actress (Harlow; Poseidon Adv; Bunny Lake Is Missing)
2019-09-06 04:33:19 UTC
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/carol-lynley-dead-dies-the-poseidon-adventure-1203325524/

HOME Film Obituaries

September 5, 2019 5:38PM PT

Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77

By Anna Tingley

Actress Carol Lynley, best known for her role in the 1972 film “The Poseidon Adventure,” died at her Pacific Palisades home Tuesday after suffering a heart attack, according to her friend, actor Trent Dolan. She was 77.

Lynley began her career as a child model, appearing on the cover of Life magazine at the age of 15, before starring in Disney’s “The Light in the Forest” and the independent film “Holiday for Lovers.” Shortly after, she secured a breakout role in the 1958 Broadway play “Blue Denim” and its subsequent film adaptation, in which she played 15-year-old Janet Willard tasked with figuring out how to undergo an illegal abortion.

The play, written by James Leo Herlihy, received immediate criticism for its laissez-faire attitude toward abortion, leading to a revised ending in the film that sees Janet go through with her pregnancy. Despite the controversy, the role earned Lynley a nomination for a Golden Globe Award for Most Promising Newcomer in 1959.

The actress continued to star in a wide array of Hollywood films, including “Return to Peyton Place,” “Under the Yum Yum Tree,” “Bunny Lake Is Missing,” “The Pleasure Seekers,” “The Cardinal” and “The Poseidon Adventure,” in which she performed the Oscar-winning song “The Morning After” on screen, though the vocals were dubbed. In 2006, she appeared in Sylvester Stallone’s 30-minute “Vic.”

The Hollywood veteran was also a television regular, appearing in shows such as “The Big Valley,” “Mannix,” “It Takes a Thief,” “Night Gallery,” “The Invaders,” “Kojak,” “Hawaii Five-O” and “The Night Stalker.”

Lynley was married to publicist Michael Selsman from 1960-64, during which the two had daughter Jill.
Michael OConnor
2019-09-06 05:02:23 UTC
I've read where she absolutely hated working with Red Buttons while making "The Poseidon Adventure", but they actually became friends many years later. They always made for a creepy looking couple watching the movie, with her character a young girl in her early-mid 20's and he was well into his 50's.
RH Draney
2019-09-06 06:04:21 UTC
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/carol-lynley-dead-dies-the-poseidon-adventure-1203325524/
HOME Film Obituaries
September 5, 2019 5:38PM PT
Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77
By Anna Tingley
Actress Carol Lynley, best known for her role in the 1972 film “The Poseidon Adventure,” died at her Pacific Palisades home Tuesday after suffering a heart attack, according to her friend, actor Trent Dolan. She was 77.
Just saw her on a "Mannix" rerun a week or two ago (I started at the
beginning when MeTV wrapped around to the first season again, to catch
up with the ones I missed back in first-run before I started watching
him every week)....

And "Bunny Lake is Missing" was already scheduled on TCM within the next
couple of weeks...I already had the DVR set to record it....r
That Derek
2019-09-06 11:57:41 UTC
Let's hope nobody gets the Harlows mixed up and buries Carroll Baker by mistake.

Guess there really isn't "a morning after ..."
l***@yahoo.com
2019-09-06 20:32:48 UTC
Lynley began her career as a child model, appearing on the cover of Life magazine at the age of 15, before starring in Disney’s “The Light in the Forest” and the independent film “Holiday for Lovers.” Shortly after, she secured a breakout role in the 1958 Broadway play “Blue Denim” and its subsequent film adaptation, in which she played 15-year-old Janet Willard tasked with figuring out how to undergo an illegal abortion.
The play, written by James Leo Herlihy, received immediate criticism for its laissez-faire attitude toward abortion, leading to a revised ending in the film that sees Janet go through with her pregnancy.
I saw the movie first (with 17-year-old Brandon De Wilde, seven years after he was in "The Member of the Wedding"), and a few years later, I read the play and was astounded at the differences.

I have to wonder how the AUDIENCES felt about the play.

SPOILER:

Janet has no physical trauma whatsoever, afterward - and no apparent emotion about the whole thing, even though anyone might guess that the terror of an unwanted pregnancy and an illegal abortion would feel like quite the roller-coaster ride. In fact, SHE's the one comforting HIM!

While that would have been pretty unrealistic back then, I still like to read the play occasionally, since I do find the scenes where the two of them are just talking to be very moving. (I doubt I could stand to watch it on stage, though - I'd be squirming.)

My copy has stills from Broadway, too.

Lenona.
j***@gmail.com
2019-09-06 23:03:07 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by That Derek
Lynley began her career as a child model, appearing on the cover of Life magazine at the age of 15, before starring in Disney’s “The Light in the Forest” and the independent film “Holiday for Lovers.” Shortly after, she secured a breakout role in the 1958 Broadway play “Blue Denim” and its subsequent film adaptation, in which she played 15-year-old Janet Willard tasked with figuring out how to undergo an illegal abortion.
The play, written by James Leo Herlihy, received immediate criticism for its laissez-faire attitude toward abortion, leading to a revised ending in the film that sees Janet go through with her pregnancy.
2019-09-07 01:39:20 UTC
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/carol-lynley-dead-dies-the-poseidon-adventure-1203325524/
HOME Film Obituaries
September 5, 2019 5:38PM PT
Carol Lynley, ?The Poseidon Adventure? Star, Dies at 77
By Anna Tingley
Actress Carol Lynley, best known for her role in the 1972 film ?The
Poseidon Adventure,? died at her Pacific Palisades home Tuesday after
suffering a heart attack, according to her friend, actor Trent Dolan.
She was 77.
[snip]
Post by That Derek
The actress continued to star in a wide array of Hollywood films, including
?Return to Peyton Place,? ?Under the Yum Yum Tree,? ?Bunny Lake Is Missing,?
?The Pleasure Seekers,? ?The Cardinal? and ?The Poseidon Adventure,? in
which she performed the Oscar-winning song ?The Morning After? on screen,
though the vocals were dubbed.
I have dim memories of the ensuing Academy Awards ceremony...
did Lynley sing it then or was it someone else?

2019-09-07 02:18:34 UTC
Post by That Derek
The actress continued to star in a wide array of Hollywood films, including
?Return to Peyton Place,? ?Under the Yum Yum Tree,? ?Bunny Lake Is Missing,?
?The Pleasure Seekers,? ?The Cardinal? and ?The Poseidon Adventure,? in
which she performed the Oscar-winning song ?The Morning After? on screen,
though the vocals were dubbed.
I have dim memories of the ensuing Academy Awards ceremony...
did Lynley sing it then or was it someone else?
The song was sung at the Oscars by Connie Stevens.

Maureen McGovern, who's often thought to have sung it in the film for
Carol Lynley, didn't do so. It was sung by an artist named Renee
Armand. McGovern didn't even record the song until after the Oscars
that year. It was a big hit for her, of course.