Stuart Whitman, 92, movie character actor (mostly Westerns)
2020-03-17 15:30:16 UTC
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/breaking-stuart-whitman-dead-oscar-21708180

Stuart Whitman dead: Oscar-nominated star dies aged 92 amid skin cancer battle

US actor Stuart Whitman has died aged 92. Whitman was famous for his role in Old Hollywood westerns in the 60s, 70s and 80s

By Ailbhe MacMahon
Showbiz & TV Reporter

14:46, 17 MAR 2020Updated15:23, 17 MAR 2020

Stuart Whitman has died aged 92, during a battle with skin cancer.

The US actor died on Monday at his home in Montecito, California, with his friends and family by his side according to TMZ.

His son Justin told the publication: "Old Hollywood lost another one of its true stars. Stuart Whitman was known for his rugged roles and handsome charm.

"We were proud of him for his TV, film roles and his Oscar nomination, but what we will really remember is his exuberant love of his family and friends."

Whitman rose to fame in Old Hollywood westerns in the 60s, 70s and 80s, starring alongside the likes of John Wayne.

With 150 film credits to his name, he received an Oscar nomination for his role as convicted child molester Jim Fuller in 1961's The Mark.

That same year, he told Los Angeles Times: "I've had to battle and say what is an actor?

"It's a fellow who plays someone else. But now I realize it's the image that makes a star. John Wayne is a great example of a super actor. Gary Cooper is another one.

"My image? I think it's being free and easy and all man. I say to myself I want to become an actor, I want to lose myself in each role. But that's not the way to become an actor."

The 1961 western The Comancheros saw him play a gambler on the run, named Paul Regret, captured by John Wayne's character – Texas Ranger Captain Jake Cutter.

On top of his film career, Whitman had several major TV and theatre roles, appearing in shows like Highway Patrol and Superboy.

His final film credit was in the 2000 made-for-television flick The President's Man, starring Chuck Norris.

Married three times, Whitman raised five children – Tony, Linda, Justin, Scott and Michael – and is survived by his wife Julia Vadimovna Paradiz.

Whitman also served during World War Two, and was a renowned boxer in his youth.
A Friend
2020-03-17 15:40:04 UTC
On top of his film career, Whitman had several major TV and theatre roles,
appearing in shows like Highway Patrol and Superboy.
In which he played Pa Kent, opposite Salome Jens as Ma. That series
seems to have been forgotten, which is a shame.
t***@gmail.com
2020-03-17 21:45:45 UTC
I recently saw Whitman in a '74 B movie LAS VEGAS LADY with Stella Stevens and remarking he was still around. Now Whitman is gone, the Las Vegas theme park where the movie was shot is now gone, and Stella is now vegetated by Alzheimer's. Time irrevocably marches on.